October 2015 Moms
Options

Myth advice from friends?

I have a dear friend (who has a 12 year old and is an older mom) who I have just shared the news of my 5 week pregnancy. She has insisted I do not overly stretch or reach high for objects...?! I have heard to listen to my body, eat properly, and exercise/hydrate... But this? Is this just the first of many "mommy advice tips" I'll receive from other mommies that I may have to choose to ignore/disregard?

Re: Myth advice from friends?

• Options
    i heard that exact myth a couple weeks ago.. the myth is that if you put your arms above your head during pregnancy, you'll wrap the baby's umbilical cord around around his neck. total wives tale. the sad part is that people actually believe this is a medical truth.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Your friend is full of bologna.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friend was told this by her doctor too but she was in her 3 trimester. Maybe it only matters latter on? Idk
  • Options
    Never heard of such a thing and put my arms over my head many times while pregnant.
    Plan to hear plenty more annoying comments!
  • Options
    I was told by a random snack food vendor in my break room to rub my nipples with a washcloth to "prepare" them for breastfeeding. Um, no. Lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hah my mom told me not to do this my first pregnancy.
    Def a myth
  • Options
    clammie said:
    Your friend is full of bologna.
    Mmmmmm bologna
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! What about lower abdominal pain (minimal). I don't believe it's round ligament pain... And it's not cramping. More like random "Charlie horse" pains... Anyone?
  • Options
    How would one wash their hair if they couldn't put their hands over their head? Let's think people.
  • Options

I have a dear friend (who has a 12 year old and is an older mom) who I have just shared the news of my 5 week pregnancy. She has insisted I do not overly stretch or reach high for objects...?! I have heard to listen to my body, eat properly, and exercise/hydrate... But this? Is this just the first of many "mommy advice tips" I'll receive from other mommies that I may have to choose to ignore/disregard?

Omg. You shouldn't put your hands over your head. My sister's Aunt's cousin had this happen to her. Also, eat lots of pinapple if you don't have her/him by 40 weeks.
  • Options

Thanks ladies! What about lower abdominal pain (minimal). I don't believe it's round ligament pain... And it's not cramping. More like random "Charlie horse" pains... Anyone?

Eat a banana a day and drink 100 oz of water at least.
  • Options
    I don't buy the arms over your head thing... my sister, for example, taught dance classes all the way until she was about to pop. Her arms were stretched over her head a lot! That just sounds ridiculous to me
  • Options

Omg. You shouldn't put your hands over your head. My sister's Aunt's cousin had this happen to her. Also, eat lots of pinapple if you don't have her/him by 40 weeks.
    You're joking right? A percentage of all babies are born with their umbilical cord wrapped around their neck regardless of whether your hands happen to make it above your head.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    AnnikaD20AnnikaD20 member
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I'm not sure how exactly people think your arms connect to your uterus.

With my last pregnancy, the craziest one I heard was that if you're past your due date, you should wait for a full moon and then lay naked in the moonlight. Cause when she did the nude moonbathing trick, her baby was born 3 days later!

I agree with the advice to eat high potassium foods if you're having cramps. Bananas are easy, but avocados have more potassium and I like them better. Now I'm craving guac.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• Options
    SundancexoSundancexo member
    edited February 2015

You're joking right? A percentage of all babies are born with their umbilical cord wrapped around their neck regardless of whether your hands happen to make it above your head.
    No, she's serious. She's also correct!!!! Don't cross your legs either when you sit down because it can affect the baby!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"