May 2015 Moms
Options

Truth or fiction: BBB car seat and stroller advice.

Need help from the STMs on this car seat-stroller decision. Went to BBB and they sold me on everything but the kitchen sink. So please help in answering do I really need this?

1. Do I really need a travel stroller and a jogger? their version says yes I need both. Jogger for sturdy, regular outdoor activity - Travel stroller for more compact storage at daycare and during air travel. Truth or Registry padding nonsense? You decide

2. Do I really need an infant car seat and a toddler+ car seat? What about all these convertibles? Their version says the convertibles aren't the best fit (straps too high) for the newborn and thus not safe. Also the convertibles usually don't click into a stroller/travel system for car to stroller transition without waking the baby - this is the real advantage of the newborn car seat right?? And then newborn seats don't seem to fit beyond 8-12months.

Help so greatly appreciated. Already spent several hours researching this and the feedback is all over the place.

Re: Truth or fiction: BBB car seat and stroller advice.

• Options
    I registered for a jogging stroller and an umbrella stroller. You will need something more compact and easier to travel with for trips to the store, vacation, and so on. I registered for a more expensive umbrella stroller, but you can find them for $15 at second hand stores. I would say yes get one of each, but how much you spend on both is up to you.
    I also have an infant car seat and then will be getting a convertible car seat after baby grows. I would not recommend buying second hand as if the car seat has ever been in an accident would really make it unusable. I chose to spurge again on the car seats, but LOs safety is highly important to me.
  • Options
    Infant car seat a must. So much easier to click kid in and out of car In the carrier.

We got the Chicco stroller that the infant carrier clicks in and then the umbrella stroller for lighter use (mcclaren).

Now on baby 3, we have a snap n go, single Chicco, double Chicco, single mcclaren, and double mcclaren. Our garage runneth over with strollers.

For one kid- Id start with snap n go and an umbrella stroller unless you plan on heavy duty outdooring with baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sunnyday016sunnyday016 member
    edited February 2015
    Totally a preference thing on both. I personally don't think you need both kinds of strollers, but I wear my babies a lot and since this is my 3rd I anticipate wearing even more than I did before. A jogger is a must for my family because DH & I are both runners. If you're not going to be using it for jogging, I really don't think you need a jogger.

As for the car seat, you probably do want an infant seat unless you plan to babywear a LOT. Like, every time you leave the car. There are convertible seats that fit newborns well, and that it based mostly on the lowest harness height and NOT on the minimum weight, since most convertibles say they are rated for 5lbs. For rear facing, harness straps must come from below the baby's shoulders, so you need something with a very short harness height. I really like the convenience of the infant seat even though I do babywear. But if you do want to go with a convertible from the beginning, it is a perfectly safe option provided it fits your baby well. I know off the top of my head that the Graco MySize/Size4Me and the Chicco Nextfit are convertibles that fit newborns well.

I personally would not worry about registering for a convertible seat. Register for a good infant seat, and buy a convertible down the road when you are ready to switch. There's no sense wasting almost a year of the seat's life having it sitting around your house while you use the infant seat. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I don't think you need two strollers unless you do travel a lot. We lived with one for awhile.
    I don't know how people survive without an infant seat. People do it, but the convenience outweighs the cost for me. Besides, DS #1 had many ear infections. We would drive him around to get him asleep and then he would sleep in his car seat the rest of the night until we could make it to the doctor in the morning. Those nights paid for the extra cost.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My opinion - get one stroller that you'll use the most. If you jog a lot, get that. If you plan to use it more when you are out and about and walking, get the travel stroller. Just assure whatever you get is easy to fold down. Yes to the infant car seat. Not only does it click into your stroller, but you can easily remove a sleeping baby and bring baby inside still in the car seat vs trying to get baby out of a convertible seat.
  • Options
    We are getting the BOB Motion travel system and the Britax Marathon convertible for my husband's car. We will only have the one stroller and plan to use that stroller for #2.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses all super helpful. We do travel a lot to visit parents live a thousand miles away and I like to take long walks around the city (6-7 miles at a time). So I think there is some truth in needing the two strollers.

And glad to hear from all the Moms that the infant car seat convenience is worth it as well.

I will probably spend less on the travel stroller if I can and splurge on the handlebar/jogger. And try to keep the infant car seat reasonable though the $300 uppababy and Cybex ones keep calling my name.
  • Options
    Personally, I baby wear all the time. I am only getting the convertible car seat because the infant seat is only convenient for a short time while baby is small. I am normally 105 lbs and struggle with bulky infant seats. As for strollers, I am not buying one due to baby wearing. I got a BOB jogging stroller and used it maybe 10 times but my child was 4 years old by time I used it. Yup, a $500 stroller just sat in my car for 4 years.

So, everything depends on your lifestyle and conviences you need to make life easier.
  • Options
    I agree with them on the 2 stroller things. We have her jogger which is great for out and around town when picking things up as there is the storage spot under it. But the little travel (umbrella) stroller is great for taking when travelling to events where there are going to be crowds.

The car seat can be either way. It's nice to buy one and be done with it. But we bought the infant seat with base and I love it because you can leave them in the seat and take them in and out of the car. Versus having to remove them from the seat and hoping for a cart with a carrier or else baby wear. I also liked because I the winter it was easy to throw a blanket over top of her when taking her in and out.
  • Options
    I went with the chicco liteway plus with dd. it's a travel system, but when you're done with the infant seat it turns into an umbrella type stroller. I really liked it. I also got a jogger for walks around the neighborhood etc. but since I'm not an avid runner I got a cheaper one from babies r us. It's a baby trend and was only like a hundred bucks and works great. I bought a convertible seat once she grew out of the infant seat. To me an infant seat is worth the cost for the convience.

Now that I have another on the way(24 mo apart) I just bought the city select with the car seat attachment. If you are planning on having 2 close in age I recommend looking into a stroller that can be converted from single to double. Or you will just end up buying more strollers in the long run.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Huanne said:
    Thanks for the responses all super helpful. We do travel a lot to visit parents live a thousand miles away and I like to take long walks around the city (6-7 miles at a time). So I think there is some truth in needing the two strollers. And glad to hear from all the Moms that the infant car seat convenience is worth it as well. I will probably spend less on the travel stroller if I can and splurge on the handlebar/jogger. And try to keep the infant car seat reasonable though the $300 uppababy and Cybex ones keep calling my name.
    My unsolicited advice is to avoid a pricey infant seat. There are great, just as safe options available for much less. I'm a fan of Graco car seats, Chicco is great too, but you'll get just as much life out of it as you will the Graco. Same could be said of Britax. There's no way I'd spend $300 on a seat you'll use for 12 months (max!).
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"