January 2015 Moms

breastfeeding advice pleasem painful letdown

I have hyperactive/overactive letdown and it is like im being injected in each breast when i feed. It only lasts for some of the time feeding but gosh it hurts! My LO is 3 weeks old so I dont want to dry up my supply at all because i know she will be growth spurting soon.
Any remedy for extremely painful letdown?

Re: breastfeeding advice pleasem painful letdown

• (Oops using my cellphone poor grammar)
  • My lo is 3 Wks too and we are in a similar situation. Sometimes it's manageable but most times I have to close my eyes and just clench my teeth through let down. I've read it just takes a couple weeks and will get better
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes same here I close my eyes and just breathe out the pain. It really does feel like about 3 huge injections in the feeding breast and 1 in the other and it lasts a while then goes away. Although I am greatful to have an over supply. I wish it wasnt so dramatically uncomfortable to feed. My poor LO is choking most of the time and screaming and feeding her hanging down is just really hard. Thank goodness it only lasts a few weeks.
  • Well my baby is 5 weeks and I am having the opposite problem, I dont have enough milk to sustain my baby and he always wants and needs more....Any suggestions on how to get an abundance flow of milk?
  • Hey there. Im sorry to hear that :/ I know it must be stressful trying to feed and feeling as if there is only a certain amount in there. Gosh that makes me feel bad for complaining about mine. I would try drinking 3L of water a day & eating Alot! I know its hard finding time to eat with a newbie, I seriously scoff my food back just because I know Im always needed for some thing and wont get to eat otherwise. Fenugreek is also good i think it is an essential oil or herb that will up your flow. My baby brang in all my supply constantly feeding on the colustrum and once my milk came in she just seemed to not so enthusiastic about drinking. Also another thing is that your supply will regulate and make the perfect amount for your LO around week 6 to 2months just keep feeding emptying your breast right out before switching to the other and it will produce more for the next feed (: sometimes my LO will feed 3-5 times on one breast to empty it and to ensure she is getting the white fatty milk before i give her the next. I hope this helps
  • You can also try warm compresses to the upper breast before and during feeding...not hot just warm. A warm sock of rice works well. Make sure you have a nice deep latch too. Also you can always call a La Leche a League leader. They are amazing and just want to help make BF enjoyable for you and baby

Llli.org
  • aneesa31 said:

Well my baby is 5 weeks and I am having the opposite problem, I dont have enough milk to sustain my baby and he always wants and needs more....Any suggestions on how to get an abundance flow of milk?

Sound more like a normal growth spurt than a low supply. I know it's hard but just let LO suck for as long as they want. It's their Way of telling your breast that they are going through a growth spurt and they need more milk. Your body will catch up I promise
  • aneesa31 said:

Well my baby is 5 weeks and I am having the opposite problem, I dont have enough milk to sustain my baby and he always wants and needs more....Any suggestions on how to get an abundance flow of milk?

My lo is 3 weeks and my milk was becoming less and less, I was constantly feeling my son, and he would get frustrated trying to get milk, I had to start supplimenting, cause he started to lose weight. I found a recipe for lactation cookies on Allrecipes.com made those and started pumping as often as I could, inbetween feelings. My milk is back up, and I can even pump some to store now. When I started pumping (I prefer manual over power) I was only able to pump less then 1oz. Would take all. Day to get 4oz. Now I can pump 1.5oz waiting for my toast to pop! Just keep at it. It takes time for your body to adjust.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"