May 2015 Moms
Options

Low Blood Sugar?

I had my glucose test this morning and got a call about an hour ago from the on call Dr saying the hospital let her know my test showed low blood sugar and she wanted to check on me. After talking, she said to try not to worry about it but of course I am a little bit. Did anyone else have this result ?

Re: Low Blood Sugar?

• Options
    Did the doctor give you a number? 
  • Options
    I have low blood sugar and have had it all my life. I am hypoglycemic ( low blood sugar) which sometimes gets worse during my pregnancies. I basically just have to eat several small meals a day even when not pregnant. Sometimes if I don't eat enough to stabilize my sugar it will drop or bottom out. I can usually tell when it's dropping because I will get weak, shaky, dizzy and even pass out if it drops too quickly. I used to pass a lot as a child but not now as an adult. I have passed out maybe 3-4 times since I was 18. However just because your sugar dropped after the test ( which is pretty normal especially if you fasted) does not mean you have hypoglycemia. If you did you would have experienced symptoms on and off your life or most likely before now and probably would have been tested by now. Most likely you drank the syrup which spiked your sugar but your sugar then fell because you didn't have food in your system. This is pretty common with fasting sugar tests. That's why when most people do the fasting test they often experience feeling nauseous, dizzy, shaky, etc. She probably called just to make sure you weren't feeling sick, dizzy, shaky or feeling like you might pass out. If you had been she would have most likely advised you to eat and lay down to see if it made you feel better. If she has concerns that you have hypoglycemia as a condition then she would have advised additional testing or getting tested after the LO is born. It probably was just low from the fasting though. If she told you not to worry then it's probably fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    blankenbakerhblankenbakerh member
    edited February 2015
    Also if your worried and need a more thorough explanation from the OB I would call her or ask her at your next appointment. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the reply! That makes sense. It hasn't been any kind of ongoing problem, I just talked to friends and nobody else could remember having a similar result. I feel better about things now but really appreciate you taking the time to respond :)
  • Options
    No problem:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"