May 2015 Moms
Options

Any dog owners have this problem?

Any time I sit on the couch or lie in bed, by 60 pound dog tries to climb on me. Sometimes he even jumps on me before I even notice him coming. I don't know how to get him to be more careful with my belly. Anyone else have this problem or know any solutions? Thanks!

Re: Any dog owners have this problem?

• Options
    We're dog-sitting my brother-in-law's dog right now, and she totally does it.  We've only had her a few days, and we've already been able to get her to stop by yelling "eh-eh" anytime she steps on me.  And if she starts to climb on me, I push her back and make the same noise, and then once she's far enough away, I pet and praise her for a few seconds and then repeat the whole process if she tries again.  

When we first were training our own dog on furniture, we aggressively worked on the "down" or "pillow" command, so if she was climbing on us at all or anything else we didn't want her to do, we would tell her to get down or to go lay on her pillow and quickly praise her when she did it.  We would invite her back up a little bit later and pet and praise her when she was just cuddling.  It naturally turned into her not going on the furniture with us unless we invited her up.  So slick, especially for when you're going to have a baby up there.  If your puppers doesn't respond well to just the vocal commands, start doing clicker training immediately, and it will be so handy to have! 
  • Options
    My dog isn't to big so it is not always a problem, he does like to be as close to my belly as possible though and that has been since we found out I was pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a 50lb husky and a 60lb lab, we have them trained so they don't jump on the furniture.  You could try pushing as they're jumping as a deterrent, or stick your foot up as they start to jump.  Otherwise I would suggest some training classes before LO arrives. 

• Options
    My dog likes to cuddle my baby bump.

He's pretty well behaved. Sorry I don't have any helpful info to share. Just this adorbs pic.
  • Options
    We have a 35 pound lab mix who has always enjoyed "cuddling" by sitting next to us when were laying down and then colappsing on top of us. Then she lays there with all of her weight on us like she's giving a hug. When my belly started getting bigger it became very uncomfortable so I would simply tell her to be gentle and push her down to a more comfortable position. She's a very sensitive and smart dog and it only took about a week for her to stop doing it to me and she's pretty gentle around my belly now.
  • Options
    Thank you! This helps a lot! I have quite a bit to try now
  • Options

My dog likes to cuddle my baby bump.

He's pretty well behaved. Sorry I don't have any helpful info to share. Just this adorbs pic.

Awe that's amazing! My dog gives my belly lots of kisses. I can tell he means well but darn he's heavy when we tries to be near (on) me.
  • Options
    My dog does this same thing and has been very protective of me since we found out I was pregnant, (he used to be closer to my husband), but he isn't the most careful! We just tell him to be careful of the baby and point to my belly. After that he gets down and starts licking as if apologizing.
  • Options
    We have a 130lb Great Dane . He's very gentle but sometimes likes to play and forgets his size or tries to give paw and hits my belly . When he does it I tell him no and then he'll sniff my belly and calm down . I think they know ;)
  • Options
    My dog has stopped jumping up since we found out I was pregnant he is amazing, my girl dog on the other hand just wants cuddles all the time, got lots of pictures of her asleep on my belly with her paw around
  • Options
    Our 65 lb golden retriever does this. He used to bring toys into the bed or up on the couch but we have stopped allowing that. Bed is strictly for cuddling and sleeping now. Any time he jumps up I find myself instinctively covering my belly but we tell him to lay down right away and he usually does.

I'm more concerned about when the baby is here and laying with us. I want to get him trained now so he knows no rough play when he's around her although people tell me he will just know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"