Working Moms

anxiety about daycare

my son is 28 monthS and is exhibiting separation anxiety primarily at daycare. he is fine when we leave him with pretty much anyone else but daycare. he is fairly good at verbalizing and what I understand is that he just is sad because he misses us. we have tried getting him to take A toy but he has no toys or security objects that he really loveS. I tried sending a picture but he doesn't want anything to do with it. it absolutely kills us when we drop him off. he seemS fine when we pick him up, but he is ready to go. unfortunately there's no regularity in his day care routine. days he goes, who picks him up, who drops him off are all constantly changing. any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. TIA!

Re: anxiety about daycare

• Have you talked to your daycare provider? I know that recently for a few weeks DS went through a phase of terror like that at drop off. However, it only lasted maybe 2 minutes after we left. Then he was happy and over it. DH even stayed without ds knowing it and saw for himself that this was the case. It's harder on a parent to have thier last impression of leaving thier child for the day be upsetting but perhaps it is short lived.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is there any way to make a more consistent routine for him? I'd guess that even though the separation anxiety is normal it's worse because of the lack of routine. I'm not trying to be rude as some times you cant help your shedule, but just offering my opinion and support. I hope that it gets better for all of you soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Is he upset for just a few minutes after your leave or for quite a while?  I think it is normal to get seperation anxiety, but it seems to be something they get over fairly quickly when you're gone.  My son started daycare at 2 (was with his grandma previously) and got SO upset during drop offs.  The daycare said he was completely fine though once I was gone.  He actually would get very emotional and be crying during pick ups as well.  I really thought it was just normal for him as a toddler transitioning to a new place all day.  We switched to a different daycare after a few months, in a big center that is very reputable.  He had a brief period of transition, but now he is completely fine at all drop offs and pick ups. I always wonder now if he was having a bad experience at the first daycare just because he was so emotional all of the time and now is completely fine at the new center.  It is so hard when they get verbalize things.  It is just something to think about.   

I think all transitions are just hard for them though and they get emotional.  He is watched by his grandma 2 days a week and they absolutely adore each other and he still gets very emotional on days and clings to me when I drop him off.  I really think that in general they get over it quickly though and you don't probably need to worry that he is like that all day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • AssociatingUnfortunately Dh's Off DaYs Are On A Rotating Basis And I HAve No Designated Start/end TIme At My Job So It Is PRetty Impossible To Give Him More Consistency. I Wish We COUld Cuz I Do Feel That Would Help.

Daycare Says And I Have Heard For Myself That His Fit Doesn't Last Long. He Is Ok AfterwardS, But He Doesn't Play A lot. He Always Wants To Clean up. She Thinks He Is Associating CleaninG Up With Going Home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"