May 2015 Moms
Options

Bed rest

hi there!
I'm 27 weeks and I've been put on bed rest. I'm a little scared of how stir crazy I'm going to go and how much weight I'm going to put on. Anybody else experiencing bed rest?

Re: Bed rest

• Options
    I am but I def don't sit in bed 24/7. I will get up a few hours and sit on my porch or do a little LIGHT housework and lay down maybe an hour or so then get back up a while and just do small things around the house. I've been on bedrest since 22 weeks and I will be 25 wks tomorrow. But I don't do a lot of things that require standing for long periods, a lot of bending or picking up heavy items. I'd def go stir crazy laying in bed all day and night!! :))
  • Options
    I was on hospital bedrest with twins from weeks 21-30.  Honestly, I was barely ever hungry.  When I would eat a meal I would fill up so quickly that I could never over eat! I gained 24 lbs in my pregnancy, but delivered at 30 weeks.  What you really need to worry about is losing muscle tone.  Ask your doctor first, but I was able to use 5lb weights to keep my arms slightly toned.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh I'm in the same boat as you went to the doctors two days ago and told me to leave my job and stay home. As great as it sounds to not work, I am super nervous of going insane staying home for the next three months!!
  • Options
    When I was on slight bed rest with a previous pregnancy, I got super crafty, I youtubes just about everything I've ever wanted to know how to do and taught myself how to do it, crocheting and knitting... to arching my eyebrows better. I also researched lots of easy recipes and made a book for my husband and mom of things I thought were healthy, easy and delicious that they could make.

Yes there will be days where you just wish to run around the dang block but just keep your mind busy and you'll be ok.

The other thing I did, I used the couch for my bed rest so I didn't feel like I was in my actual bed all the time. Hope some of that helps
  • Options
    I'm on partial bed rest as well and have been finding things to do around the house ( light house work, organizing etc) and have found some crafty things to do in preparation that I can do while sitting.
    Maybe finding a new activity you can do would help the brain?! At least get it thinking rather than going stir crazy :)
  • Options
    Can I ask why you ladies are on bed rest? I am kind of surprised that my doctor has not prescribed me bed rest yet. I feel it is only just a matter of time...
  • Options
    JuliaRLJuliaRL member
    edited February 2015
    I'm on bed rest at the hospital as well.. been here for 3 weeks, was on home rest for 2.5 weeks before that. I'm on it because my waters broke at 22.3 weeks.  Luckily I'm allowed to get up and walk around (hooray for not wearing compression stockings!)  I'm not gaining too much weight because my appetite is not that big. I don't eat the full meals the bring, but do snack in-between. I'm more worried about muscle atrophy as well. I'm trying to do some stretches daily, at least.

As for going stir-crazy, I alternate between reading, puzzle book, magazines, internet, Netflix, and sewing. Also, napping!  I really miss being at home, though, where I could do some light cooking, at least. and play games online. Also, miss my movie collection! (AND MY BED!)
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • Options
    Wow thanks for all your feedback! I'm on bedrest due to short cervix, I wish I could do some housework but my doctor told me to get up as little as possible and she says that if I sit I should have my legs stretched out...sounds like you guys have more freedom to move around.
    Anyways I've started doing an online degree to keep my brain going, there are also a lot of amazing free courses on Coursera!
    My husband seems to be more stressed then me and at times I feel like a burden having to ask for everything. Anybody else feeling that?
  • Options
    PS - JuliaRL hats off to you!!! I'm sure this is even harder at the hospital! Stay positive
  • Options
    I'm on temporary bed rest because I had a lung infection which caused an asthma attack and then on top of that had an allergic reaction to the iv meds. My oxygen level was at 80 so, for my sake and babies I've been confined. Its only been two weeks and I'm allowed to go back to work after Friday, but I am bored and I have already lost muscle tone. I hope it doesn't happen again. I can't imagine laying here for three months I'd go insane.
  • Options

I feel really bad for my husband, too. He always says how it's much worse for me, but now he's responsible for everything at home. Even though we don't have any other kids, it's still a lot to do, plus he visits me everyday after work, so he has very little downtime. The whole thing is difficult for him as well!

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • Options
    How much longer have you got to go Julia?
  • Options
    I am just starting bed rest too. Hopefully leaving the hospital soon and then bed rest at home. I'm definitely worried about muscle tone and just lack of any exertion. I also want to stay on a decent sleep schedule and not have my days turn into a blur.
  • Options
    Today is my second day of bedrest and I'm already losing my mind. I found out a couple days ago my cervix is shortening. Currently 26+4. They told me to immediate stop working. I will also have weekly appointments for cervical checks and have an appointment with a maternal fetal doctor as well. I basically live in my recliner. I alternate between reading, watching tv and listening to music. I want to maybe start some crafts soon as well. And also have been super concerned about how we are financially going to be able to handle this..
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had a physiotherapist come and show me some exercises, my doctor recommended it. It was an investment but I think it is worth it and they really help!
    Meanwhile I'm breaking up my time into units. breakfast, news, emails and Internet, shower. Lunch move to sofa, study, etc etc
  • Options

@smaraval,  Hey, thanks.

I'm going o be at this hospital for another week and a half or so, and then I'll move back to my regular hospital for the remainder of my pregnancy...  though I MAY convince me OB to let me go home a bit before inducing around 34-35 weeks. I would LOVE to see my house!

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • Options
    Julia, I will keep my fingers crossed that the doc will let you go home! Stay strong!
  • Options
    @JuliaRL who know you could stay pregnant so long after having your water break.  To me its amazing.  What a strong mama you are already becoming!!!
  • Options
    @JuliaRL‌ That's wonderful that DH visits you daily, sounds like a good man. And you have such high spirits for being in a place you'd rather not be, you're awesome. Hugs to you
  • Options
    I've been on hospital bed rest since Monday but getting discharged tonight then I'll be on modified bed rest at home, which until I deliver is going to be at my parents house as they have no stairs in their house and are closer to our hospital. Hubby and I will have our own room while there but it's definitely going to be a long couple months! I'm hoping I might be able to work from home to help pass the time and I am knitting and just plan on catching up on shows/movies. Hoping I don't go too stir crazy either but just have to keep in mind the final goal!
  • Options
    I just found out I'm on bed rest also. I have a low lying placenta, and they found I have a little extra amniotic fluid:(
    I went in bc I woke up with some bleeding, so bed rest it is until my next appointment in two weeks. Which is when they'll do a more detailed sonogram to see exactly where my placenta is and to measure the exact amount of amniotic fluid.
    Day 3 of bedrest.. Guess I'll read a book?
  • Options
    What was your cervix measuring? I found out at 20 weeks that I have a short cervix also. I have had to go every other week for cervix checks. My next one is this coming Tuesday and I have a feeling that it might be the one that lands me bed rest.. only because it has been shortening pretty regularly every two weeks. So far, my OB has been pretty cool about it and hasn't given me a certain measurement that would cause this, but its only a matter of time!
  • Options
    I started bed rest last Monday due to blood pressure, protein in my urine and elevated liver enzymes.... I am still doing some things light work here at the house and moving next week but as long as my bp stays down, it seems to be going ok! 11 more weeks to go!
  • Options
    I am currently 27w4d, and have been on 'bed rest' since 24w6d. My 'bed rest' is not related to baby however. At 24w6d, I slipped and fell on a wet floor and severely broke my right ankle. I ended up having surgery that day and now have 2 plates and 13 screws in my ankle. Luckily the little man is doing just fine and have not had any problems with him whatsoever. I am in a cast and using a walker, so my mobility is very limited. I only get up to use the restroom and go from bed to couch. I won't be going back to work for another 5 weeks-- hopefully not any later.
    I am definitely going stir crazy and stressed out since I cannot do anything to get ready for baby.
  • Options
    I have been begging my obgyn to put me even on light duty because at the end of my day I can hardly move. My feet and ankles swell up, and my lower back and hips have so much pressure against them that I can't even stand up because I can't hold my self up. (I work in a dental office to make this worse.) My doctor basically just told me to suck it up and deal with it. I take the maximum I am able to take of Tylenol just to be able to sleep somewhat through the night. I'm sorry you girls are going through all what you are, but I'm glad your doctors are being sympathetic with you.
  • Options
    @Knottie26282308

that really sucks... and you probably can't take much in the way of pain medication for your foot either! 

Well ladies, my bedrest is done, and I'm no longer a May Momma, but a February one!
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • Options
    @JuliaRL ,
    hang in there with my first daughter my water broke at 22 weeks and I was in the hospital until 30 weeks on strict bed rest then was able to go home for a week and then back until I had her at 36 weeks. some days are really hard and some days Fly by. But It was all worth it in the end and all the miserable days fade as soon as you see baby's face.
  • Options
    I was just put on bedrest monday for a short cervix. Im 27 weeks today.
  • Options
    They prescribed me Tylenol with codeine. I'm taking regular Tylenol as much as possible though. I went for my 28wk appointment yesterday, and the doc was not happy the surgeon and hospital didn't offer me something more. Oh well, things are getting me better. Like the doc said yesterday, this is making me tough for the delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"