October 2015 Moms
Options

New job

Hi everyone! So we had been trying around 6 months and at the same time I became miserable at my job. I literally signed the offer letter for a new job and got my BFP the next day. I am so worried about telling my new employer or what they will think of me. I'm also worried about going on maternity leave having only worked there for around 8 months. I start February 17 and am just about 6 weeks now. I live in Mass and am protected for MMLA as long as I've been there for 3 months. If I wait for 90 days to tell them I will be 5 months pregnant!! I can't imagine hiding it from the world that long. Anyone have any experiences to share that may help?? It's a woman owned company and I will be working from home and traveling on sales calls. Thank you!!

Re: New job

• Options
    I would certainly wait a bit to tell then so you have time to prove what a great asset you are to then. Best of luck.
  • Options
    I don't have support but I am in the same boat. I start Thursday (12th) and got my BFP 4 days ago. I am certain you can't be fired, but I'd be careful with sharing too much too fast. If it's a woman owned company, surely they understand. 

I think my biggest issue is I am not going to have as great of a maternity leave. :/ Probably only 1-3 weeks. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @WaffleyGoodness‌ are you freaking out as much as I am?? Can I ask what line of work you are in? I'm worried also about having less time off but feel a little better about the fact that I will be working from home and can hold off on some of the travel. Have you thought about when you are going to tell them? Are you worried they will be mad?? This is such an exciting time for me and my husband and I can't stop worrying about my new job!
  • Options

I don't have support but I am in the same boat. I start Thursday (12th) and got my BFP 4 days ago. I am certain you can't be fired, but I'd be careful with sharing too much too fast. If it's a woman owned company, surely they understand. 

I think my biggest issue is I am not going to have as great of a maternity leave. :/ Probably only 1-3 weeks. 

Can I ask why type of job it is? Won't your ob require 6 weeks? I know at my job (I teach 2nd grade in a public school in America) we can take up to 12 weeks FMLA leave. Unfortunately it's only paid for as many sick days you have saved up so mine will probably only end up being half paid or less and that's with me only taking 6 weeks.

OP like others have said I would wait a bit but being a woman's company I would expect they would understand.
  • Options
    Just explain the situation and tell them you didn't find out until after you accepted the offer. They cannot fire you for being pregnant :)

Just show them how awesome you are at your job and let them know you can't wait to get back to work after the baby is born! Good luck with the new job and baby!
  • Options

Can I ask why type of job it is? Won't your ob require 6 weeks? I know at my job (I teach 2nd grade in a public school in America) we can take up to 12 weeks FMLA leave. Unfortunately it's only paid for as many sick days you have saved up so mine will probably only end up being half paid or less and that's with me only taking 6 weeks. OP like others have said I would wait a bit but being a woman's company I would expect they would understand.
    I work as a customer service representative. My OB may require 6 weeks, but, I only get paid time off for 3 hours every 2 weeks and I won't be able to save enough to have a decent amount of time off. I am sure I COULD take more, but I need to save about $1500 for my husband's visa to stay and then there is all the costs of the baby and actual living , like rent and food and internet. Not sure I can afford the recommended time off. :( But, I would sit most the time so I imagine it's not going to be that tough. I had plans for a better job with better benefits but because I am pregnant I sort of screwed that up so I got to make due with that I have. 
  • Options
    I intend to sign up for short term disability soon so I can use it when baby comes in October. My employer doesn't have maternity leave and I need to use any PTO I have saved up
  • Options
    Hey ladies! I'm in the same boat- two weeks before Xmas I was laid off from my work from home job of five years. I picked up some freelance work which has let me continue to work from home (which is key bc I have a three year old). I then got a call from an agency and went on the first interview literally te day after my BFP. Flash forward two weeks later I think they will be making me an offer. The con is I will have to go back into an office after being home with my daughter. She is in preschool but I will have to figure out after care not to mention putting the new little baby in daycare. I'd love to stay freelancing (I buy advertising for radio and tv advertisers) but it's not steady work. So long story- I don't know if I should turn down the offer because I will have to come clean in a few weeks and I don't know how the office will respond to my "situation"
  • Options
    @lirunyc09‌ I totally get your concern. I don't know if I would have signed my offer letter if I has gotten by BFP first. BUT I am so happy I did because I know the change is ultimately a good one. I think you just need to weigh the pros and cons. They def can't fire you for being pregnant. Like my mom said, we won't be the first and certainly not the last that this has happened to!
  • Options
    Thanks @jingis‌ ! Like my husband says, nobody offered you anything yet. Just need to remind myself
    To take days one at a time- the baby is only an Appleseed and I'm thinking about daycare :(
  • Options
    Same situation...I am looking for work, have had an interview and I am a potential candidate. I didn't take a PT until after the interview, so technically I did not know when I initially went in for the job. I don't find out if I get the position for another couple weeks...If I do get it, I am also concerned about when I should mention it. I already had one missed miscarriage at 6 weeks, so I am trying not to get too excited or too stressed. I think its best to wait until we're out of the first trimester, at least. Better chance of having a successful pregnancy. No point in telling them too early. Legally they cannot fire anyone for being pregnant. My previous employer had fired someone that was pregnant saying her position was 'no longer needed'. So the turd got away with it. Hopefully new companies will be understanding! Good luck on the new jobs and your pregnancies ladies!

1st BFP 08/08/14 EDD 04/21/15 confirmed MMC 09/17/14 waited for natural m/c no luck, D&C 10/06/14
    2nd BFP 02/06/15 EDD 10/13/15
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Creativity knows no bounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"