October 2015 Moms
Options

Coconut Oil

Anyone else taking coconut oil throughout your pregnancy. I was taking it daily with DS but got out of the habit and am starting to take again.

When I was pregnant with DS it helped me with energy and a few other things. This time, it isn't helping with the energy thing so much. Maybe I should just keep giving it time.

Re: Coconut Oil

• Options
    I'm not taking it but I use it as lotion!
    CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    I use it as lotion too! I have to capsules to take via mouth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't know they had capsules. I use it as lotion and drink coconut water, but that's it. I'll look into them.
  • Options
    I have a good recipe for these things called Power Balls (hehe) that I put coconut oil into. They're a nice, filling snack and the coconut oil and flax really gives me a good energy boost.
  • Options
    Emma2601 said:

I have a good recipe for these things called Power Balls (hehe) that I put coconut oil into. They're a nice, filling snack and the coconut oil and flax really gives me a good energy boost.

Ooh! Can you share the recipe?
  • Options
    ^^ I second that!
  • Options
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/375972-flaxseeds-during-pregnancy/

Anyone seen anything more recent regarding the safety of flaxseeds in pregnancy? This is from 2013. Everything I've found so far says flax is "possibly unsafe" but it all sounds inconclusive.
  • Options
    Hmm... Nope but I'm going to look into that, thanks for raising the point! :)
  • Options
    It's so confusing trying to keep track of all of the things that are ok/not ok! Things are constantly changing too... That's why I was wondering if anyone had different information. :blush: I do like the idea of incorporating more coconut oil into my diet. Thanks OP!
  • Options
    Ok. So I did some research. Definitely inconclusive. There was a study where women who took flaxseed OIL every day were more likely to deliver early. Oil is much more concentrated than flaxseed. No human studies have been done with flaxseed, but the fear is that it will make your body produce too much estrogen (but so will watching too many Lifetime Original Movies.) Flax seed in a normal amount appears safe and actually has many health benefits for both you and your baby. Four power balls only have about 2 tablespoons of flaxseed (I usually eat 4 a day) and the danger of flaxseed seems to only be present in large quantities (meaning you put that sh*t on everything like Frank's Hot Sauce.) I get a sustained energy boost from these snacks and I've been able to go to the gym 5 times this week and do 30 minute workouts. On days when I haven't had the power balls I definitely had less energy. If we treat flax seed like caffeine, we can say the jury is still out on the effects as a whole, but SMALL amounts seem okay. I gave up my coffee, my alcohol, my retinol, feta cheese, sushi, etc. for this baby. I think I will let myself slide on this one and just limit my intake. And, I'm out....
  • Options
    Flaxseed Oil and aspirin supposedly helps moderate preeclampsia
  • Options
    I cook everything in coconut oil!
  • Options
    I use coconut oil for EVERYTHING.
  • Options
    When you say everything, do you really mean everything? I've been thinking of using it in my perineum to prevent tearing...
  • Options

When you say everything, do you really mean everything? I've been thinking of using it in my perineum to prevent tearing...

Yes everything
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"