Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

My d and c experience...for anyone who might be afraid

I am 4 days now post procedure.  I learned at my first ultrasound at 9 wks 3 days that our baby had no heartbeat.
Was so scared waiting the 5 days at home for the hospital procedure.  I had a natural, very early miscarriage a few years ago and I
was a beyond terrible experience.

Of course I scared myself silly researching the risks of a d and c.  I told the doctor and nurses many times I was petrified of bleeding to death,
not waking up from the drugs, etc. 

In reality I had scared myself over nothing.  The doctors and nurses at NY Presbyterian were beyond great to me.  That helped a ton.
The procedure was short and I woke up after 30 minutes of twilight feeling physically fine.  In fact, I have surprisingly had zero bleeding since and zero pain.
Not at all what I imagined.

I want anyone reading who may find themselves waiting through a missed miscarriage to try not to worry.  Focus on deep, relaxing breaths.
Physically you will be fine.

Now the emotional healing starts.  I find myself at the height of winter without a job now and without a baby.  I know instead of asking 'why?', 
all I can really answer is 'what now?'

This weekend I plan to scatter the rose petals of the roses my fiance gave me after our devastating news, in the park outside our apartment where I plant 
hundreds of tulip bulbs each fall to bloom in the spring.  When we go there in the spring, there will be beautiful white tulips.

Take care everyone.  You'll make it through.   Our babies were 'created on Earth, to bloom in Heaven'.

Re: My d and c experience...for anyone who might be afraid

• I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm glad everything went well.
  • Thank you so much.  I am very sorry for your loss as well.  Wishing you all the best~
  • Loading the player...
  • My D&C experience was perfect too; no complications, no pain, not really any bleeding, etc. The emotional healing was/is the hard part. I chose the D&C as I knew emotionally I could handle that better and could start the process of "moving on" sooner. It was the best decision I could have made for myself.. 

All of that being said, it is ridiculous how expensive it is.. and to get that bill quite awhile after the procedure felt like another stab. :( It just seems like one of the worst things to have to pay for. 

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm so glad it went well.
  • Thank you for sharing and I'm so sorry for your loss. I will be scheduling mine next week and this was good to read.
  • It was very helpful to read this as i am scheduled for tomorrow. I am nervous of course but this helps calm my nerves a bit, thank you!
  • I have my D&C this morning in less than 2 hours. I'm beyond scared and nervous your post has calmed me down and I thank you for that. I'm so sorry we are all on this board, but so glad we have a support group of people who know what it feels like.

@kristens2303 good luck today my thoughts will be with you.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Thank you so much for your post. Literally in tears and leaning on your words. The imagery of petals and tulips...so beautiful xo
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers