September 2014 Moms

Am I wrong to still be scared of letting someone babysit?

hi ☺️ I'm new to this! My Daughter camilla ariana was born sept.14,2014 she'll be 5 months in two weeks, and i still haven't let anyone babysit besides my husband but not for more than 2 hours if that ... I'm just so scared she will cry without us around and won't stop?!

Re: Am I wrong to still be scared of letting someone babysit?

• Does she cry that much when you are around? Unless she is a super difficult baby and honestly even then, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Babies adapt pretty well to new situations. It would be good for you to be able to have more than 2 hours to yourself.
  • I'm the same way..but my LO has always been pretty difficult especially in the beginning being colic and now he is a straight mamas boy and Cries for anyone when I'm not around
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm the same way with my son. I have let my mom and grandma watch him for short periods but I end up calling and texting nearly constantly to check up on him. It makes it easier for me to remember that they both raised their own kids and even if he does cry constantly the whole time he's there, it's nothing they haven't dealt with before and I know they will call him if they get too overwhelmed.
  • hi ☺️ I'm new to this! My Daughter camilla ariana was born sept.14,2014 she'll be 5 months in two weeks, and i still haven't let anyone babysit besides my husband but not for more than 2 hours if that ... I'm just so scared she will cry without us around and won't stop?!
    you'll never know unless you try. set yourself and your caregiver up for success - plan something where you are nearby, or even some "me" time or "date" time with your husband in your own house while someone else watches LO in a different room. start with small outings.

also, please don't call it babysitting for your husband to take care of your daughter. she is his daughter too and it is called parenting. if he has only had to take care of her for short increments of time, you should consider increasing his responsibility so that (1) you can get some time to yourself and (2) he can spend more quality time with his LO.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I second that it's not babysitting when the father watches the LO.

But onto the question at hand. Are you close with family, physically nearby and emotionally able to trust them? I have found having MIL take DS is much easier then I think it would be to leave him with a stranger.

What about even a neighbor and go for a trip to te grocery store and back. Anyone you have trusted previously and is willing and able to watch your DD. Having someone in the house watch her while you are still home might ease your tension too. MIL didn't just take him and go the first time she was with him a lot with us around before that.

Personally I wanted DS to have other people in his life early on. I'm SAH and don't want him becoming attached to only me. In sure it's not totally avoidable but I will do what I can to help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I struggle with this as well. My LO is so difficult and unpredictable that I can't imagine leaving someone to figure him out. It's even hard for my husband because he doesn't see him as much as I would like. My parents are the only people that I've left him with.
  • Babysitting is literally the easiest way to explain it , I don't actually mean he's babysitting! Please ...

Thank you for all the advice though I will try taking baby steps . She's my first so I am hesitant with leaving her with people even family Id hate for her to be fussy most of the time it just makes me nervous a little.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"