January 2015 Moms

Feeding probs

Hey all!
So I'm a first time Mommy ! My beautiful daughter Aria arrived Jan 5th , 2015! We are so in love! We are having probs with feeding. She has horrible gas pains and cries because of this. We have tried diff formulas, breast milk, gas drops, gripe water. Wondering if there's anything else to help?! Thanks !

Best Answer

• rockkandirockkandi member
    Answer ✓
    My first son has a dairy sensitivity so I ended up cutting dairy out and that made a huge difference all through our nursing experience. I also know that if you make a lot of switches back-and-forth from different formulas and breastmilk, that can be a lot on their little Tunmies. Breast milk is going to be the most gentle on their tummies, if you can be sure to eliminate trigger foods like previously posted. It is so very stressful I know! Hang in there and I promise they get stronger bellies soon enough.

Re: Feeding probs

• emmyg65 yes I have asked about the gassy/fussy. I was told she could have a bit of reflux but can't give meds till she is a month old. Thanks for your comment.
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you keeping her propped up at least 45 degrees for an hour or so after feeding? My 1st had awful reflux. Also, if you are breastfeeding try eliminating dairy, spicy foods, and anything that would cause gas (broccoli, beans, etc). If you are trying formula try a sensitive blend and see if that helps.
  • emmyg65 yes I have asked about the gassy/fussy. I was told she could have a bit of reflux but can't give meds till she is a month old. Thanks for your comment.
    Why?  My pedi gave us reflux meds for DD when she was 2wks old.  That said, I would try the reflux meds when you can.  DS2 would cry day and night unless he was eating and we chalked it up to gas pains/colic even though the gripe water and gas drops didn't do much for him, then turned out he had reflux (we figured this out at 6mths, when he was pretty much over it).  I felt so bad :(  If the gas meds aren't working, I'd stop using them and ask the pedi again for the reflux meds.  Try them for a while and see if they help.  They have helped my DD stop gagging and being fussy quite a bit. 

In the meantime, I agree with PP to keep baby sitting up as much as possible and avoid laying flat.

Good luck!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! I will definitely try these!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"