October 2015 Moms

cost of baby

I am starting to freak out about all the things to do and all the cost associate. As my bump was a surprise and I really hadn't put much thought into this. We are a single income family and I am the income so I'm feel terrified about what I'm getting into.

Re: cost of baby

• We are a one-income family as well. I budget everything, including diapers and formula. I wait for sales on big items, and I buy clothes from a children's consignment shop and sales in my area.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I don't have a nook but I'll see if I can find it for my kindle or on line.  We have some great second-hand stores around here (I admit, I buy about half my clothing and nearly all my winter jackets there).  

This is honestly the scariest and most "real" thing I've ever done.  I know it will be rewarding but right now, I'm just terrified.  I am a worrier by nature (I'm sure these hormones are not helping).  I always run through all the worse case scenarios for just about every situation.

I think the medical bills are really terrifying because that is out of my control.  Since this was a surprise and I really never use my insurance, I probably don't have the best option for my situation nor do I have an FSA account set up.  Since my partner and I are not married (we were actually planning our wedding when this surprise happened), I need to see if we have a quicky wedding if I can set up an FSA and change insurance when I add him. 
  • Check with your hospital- many offer "charity care" basically u work with their patient financial service and provide pay stubs, etc
    And they either reduce ur bill or the hospital writes it off entirely. I worked for a hospital in NJ (granted this was 10 yrs ago). Also I got a bill
    With my first born and my doc was out of network so I got a huge bill for the delivery- and my doctor told me to write him a letter saying i unable to pay - basically he accepted what the insurance paid and wrote off the rest. Bottom line there are loopholes!
  • There are tons of ways to save money with kids. Look into Amazon mom I don't know how the savings are without having Amazon prime but I get 20% off my diapers. I regularly compare with retail stores and they can't beat amazons prices. Rhea Lana has a huge consignment sale a couple times a yr all over the U.S. You may go to their website and see if there is one near you. Start saving money now! I started buying diapers at like 6 mo prego only like 1 newborn but couple cases of 2's and 3's. Try to save up a couple hundred dollars for after your shower bc I know target and babies r us give you a one time coupon to get everything left in your registry after your baby shower just fyi:)
  • Babies aren't expensive, as they get older they're more expensive but it's gradual! I have a 5, 3 and 1 year old. When they were newborns I always used new clothes but as they got older, hand me downs are the best! Granted I had 2 boys 1st so I was able to pass it all down to my 2nd son but it's nothing to totally freak out about! Of course there will be things you'll have to give up but you'll never look back because you know you're doing it for you LO ☺️
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"