June 2015 Moms

Hamilton Ontario moms to be?

any Hamilton moms to be? We're moving there and would love to have a sense of any mom related community stuff going on there!

Thanks!

Re: Hamilton Ontario moms to be?

• mccall35mccall35 member
    edited January 2015
    Hi there fellow Hamiltonian-to be! We just moved here last spring for DHs residency, so I'm still trying to figure out the lay of the land myself. I have a DS (who will be 2 in March).

In the summer there are a number of really great (and well used playgrounds/parks) and in the winter there is free family swimming/skating every day of the week (at different community centres all around the city). There are also a number of really good early years centres (also free)!

Where in Hamilton do you plan on living? And what brings you to hamilton?

Amanda

Eta: We also spend quite a bit of time down on Burlington's waterfront during the summer months. There's an awesome playground and splash pad and a nice strip of restaurants/shops. Coming from DT Toronto, I prefer that scene to Hamilton's waterfront, which is also nice, but more "nature-y", less people and action (albeit great for bike riding/running etc).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks Amanda!

We just bought our house today! Delta east - east of gage park and south of main at the bottom of the escarpment. We researched all over (saw over 30 homes I think!) in every area of hamilton and this 1930s area homes in this patch of town have amazing curb appeal and well maintained and family oriented demographics (as well as being close to the park and children's museum). We didn't find any area on the mountain as interesting or with any character.
    We live DT now and are just kinda done living in the city right now, wanted a big backyard and something a little slower pace with less traffic and noise for our life with new baby and our dog- also wanted a larger house than we would have been able to get in Toronto.

What are are you in?
  • Loading the player...
  • We live in a small low-rise condo right in the core. We wanted to be DT (and not on the mountain) beause DH works down here and this way he can bike to work. We're close to the central library and copps colliseum. It's not the nicest neighbourhood, but our immediate surroundings aren't bad and our building is great (with underground parking). We're a nice walk to locke street and the parks and shops that are in that neighbourhood. Hamilton has been a bit of an adjustment for me, having had a newborn-14month in the entertainment district of toronto, but it's growing on me. The really do have a lot to offer families! Maybe we can have a meetup somewhere sometime, I'm always down for making new real life friends! Do you plan to be at home with your LO? Or will you be working?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live in the north end of Hamilton, right down by the lake. And the harbour front is really nice, there is a cafe with a free ice skating and roller skating rink. I've heard gage park is also quite nice :) Hamilton has lots of services and in the summer/fall there are lots of festivals and weekend long activities. It's also got some great pre-natal and mom and baby services. There is a store called barefoot babies on Ottawa st that has all kinds of unique baby items and up the mountain there is a consignment store called once upon a child. I agree that we should have a Hamilton moms meetup, I'm itching to meet other pregnant ladies around me. Welcome to the hammer (soon) :smile:
  • In not right in hamilton but just outside in Grimsby :) we also spend a lot of time at the burlington waterfront. With my first DS we went to a lot of meet ups with the Ontario Early years and met a great group of moms we still hang out with! Also love Lasalle park in the summer! Great splash pad !

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Married 11/10
    Birth of our 1st bundle 11/11
    MC 05/14
    EDD of our 2nd bundle 06/15
  • The Hammer is a great place in the summer, particularly round the bayfront. I love Hamilton for a vibrant food and culture scene too. So many good places to eat...om nom nom! Just noticed this thread, we used to live DT and i loved it but just moved out Cayuga way (still work in Hamilton) If ever there's a meet up, let me know :)
    Hope everyone got a snow day today too by the way...
  • Hey guys-
    Thanks for the great responses! We bought a house in Hamilton this weekend conditional on the inspection but sadly there were structural issues with the house so we withdrew. Back to the crazy market! The area is hot for buyers right now so it's stressful doing this all from Toronto with the travelling and what not!
    We are planning on moving into our new house in Late July when the baby's 6 weeks with the doctor are finished. I would love to meet up! It'd be pretty cool to have some local friends who have babies the same age as me!

Cheers!
    Amy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"