Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Very bad news today at first ultrasound. Missed miscarriage?

Hi- I was on the pg after 35 board before this.  I am very sorry to all of you for your losses.  I had a miscarriage 3 years ago and was really hopeful that would be my only one.   I went for my first ultrasound today at 9 weeks 3 days and dr. could not hear a heartbeat.  Sent me to the hospital and they confirmed no heartbeat.
I was told I will have to have a D&C (bled terribly with 1st early miscarriage).   I couldn't make any decisions and couldn't give up hope that maybe they just couldn't find the heartbeat yet.  Dr. told me baby measured 8 weeks. I read that missed miscarriages only make up for 1% of miscarriages.
I asked her if she saw movement and she said no and that she is certain it is not a viable pregnancy.
After 2 vaginal ultrasounds, I guess I need to accept the doctors are right, and go for the D&C?  She said I could wait until Monday for another ultrasound but again she is sure of her decision.  So confused.
Any advice, suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you and take care~

Re: Very bad news today at first ultrasound. Missed miscarriage?

• So very sorry that you are going through this. I also experienced a loss 3 years ago but mine was to ectopic. I was very uncertain and scared that there was a mistake so I understand your fears. My Dr was much less nice and refused another u/s and I received the mtx shot. I hope they see a heartbeat next week. Of they don't I'm so sorry and I'm here for you. Please update. Your I'm my prayers that all is well.
  • I haven't intro'ed yet (and not sure if I will... it might be too hard to stick around here) but just wanted to say that I had the exact same experience as you, word-of-word (except this is my first m/c)-- also happened yesterday, also supposed to be 9 weeks and change, also measured 8 weeks, also no heartbeat, also had loads of doubt and questioning. I basically begged the doctor to express some morsel of uncertainty, to give me some hope. But in the end I moved forward with the D&C, same day. I just wanted it to be over. I don't really have any suggestions or words of wisdom because this is all very baffling to me as well. Maybe an extra U/S would help get you closure, and maybe it would just prolong the inevitable.  

I'm sorry. This sucks. You're not alone. 
  • Loading the player...
  • So sorry for what you are going through. Im also over from pg after 35. I had my ultrasound Sunday, also missed miscarriage but 8 weeks rather than 9. I did ask for another ultrasound but had the same result in the end and a miserable week until the d and c on Friday. Do whatever feels right for you. Best wishes
  • Thank you both so much.  I am so very sorry for your losses. 
    I basically begged the doctor too for a hint of uncertainty, but none at all in either doctor.
    Rae- I am sorry your doctor was that way, but he/she must have been 110% sure, as I'm sure my doctor was.  
    It is so hard to accept.
    I changed my mind and wanted the d&c ASAP but they weren't able to confirm today.  Now I am spent waiting this way through the weekend.  Feels like I'm in hell.  As I know you both know too well.  I hope you are all finding some clarity now and peace and feeling a lot better.
    Thank you again for the support...and the prayers!
  • So sorry for what you are going through. I'm like you I held on to every inch of hope and rightly you should because that's what a mother does for their child. Get all the confirmation you need. Hoping the best for you.
  • TCann thank you so much. Hopefully the dr. can see me tomorrow.   I am so very sorry for you loss.  I hope each day you are finding more peace and clarity.  Take good care of yourself. 
  • Hope all is well with you nyc2015
  • Thank you expat so much and everyone.  Dr. finally called.  She is having me to to hospital at 3:00 for an evening d and c.  I am a nervous wreck of course.  She assured me they do everything to prevent excessive bleeding.  They will give me twilight through IV and a local.   I am still so nauseous.  I just need to this to be over.  I am not longer going to request a 3rd ultrasound because if the 2 top doctors at the hospital were 100% certain of no heartbeat, why prolong the misery.
    Thank you all so much.  I hope and pray I am okay enough tomorrow to update on here with how it went.    
  • Thinking of you nyc
  • I am so sorry for you @nyc2015.  I can only say from my own experiences with loss, it does get better after time. 
    ********Warning BFPs and Losses Mentioned*********
    ME-38 DH-39  DX: DOR  TTC since Nov 2011.
    5/6/13 IUI#1 BFN
    6/3/13 IUI#2 BFN
    7/3/13 IUI#3 BFN
    8/813 IUI#4 cancelled bc no stim
    Referred to IVF
    IVF #1 9/25 start Stims
    10/10 ER 7 Mature Eggs
    10/11 Fertilization Report-nothing fertilized so a rescue ICSI performed.  4 eggs were fertilized.  
    10/13 3 embryos transferred on 3 days(7 cell, 5 cell and 4 cell)
    10/25 Beta BFN
    IVF #2 Start Stims Feb 2014
    2/7 ER 14 Embies...9 Fertilized
    2/12 ET 2 excellent grade.  2 frosties
    2/21/2014 First BFP EVER....ELATED
    3/28/2014 Miscarried.  DNC performed that day. 8w6d
    6/20/2014 FET 2 frosties.  
    6/30/2014 SO HAPPY...BFP #2
    7/21/2014 First u/s.  Low heart rate. Scheduled 2nd u/s in 1 week. 6weeks
    7/28/2014 U/S #2...no heartrate.  Scheduled DNC for 8/1/2014 7weeks
    2/15/2015 IVF #3  E2 Protocol ER 12 eggs retrieved.  ICSI'd 9.  
    2/20/2015 2 transferred. None to freeze.  
    03/2/2015 Beta 4 - CP 
    4/2015 IVF #4 E2 Protocal
    4/19/2015 ER 13R, 11M, 10F w/ICSI
    4/24/2015 ET 2 blasts none to freeze
    5/4/2015 Beta 1 108 
    5/6/2015 Beta 2 225

imageimage
  • Thank you all so very much.  Yes, better with time.  These dreary cold winter days will turn into springtime..and I hope we are all feeling so much better soon. 
  • I had a missed miscarriage too. I don't think they are that uncommon, 1% seems too low.
    Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"