January 2015 Moms

Bottle fed babies, how much and how often?

edited January 2015 in January 2015 Moms
Just trying to figure out what's "normal". C is eating every 3 hours around the clock and drinks anywhere from 2-4 ounces per feeding. We are now strictly formula feeding. What's your LO consuming?

Re: Bottle fed babies, how much and how often?

• Bottle fed breast milk or formula? In the exclusively pumping thread a few ladies offered up what their Lo's were doing and amyg explained what was recommended- I found it incredibly helpful for breaSt milk amounts. Essentially we don't need to feed same amounts as forumla babies because breast milk changes as baby gets bigger to meet their needs so we should never need to give more than 3 ounces even when they are older....right now my son is one week old and per her instructions he should be doing about 1 ounce to 1.5- and by one month I think she said 2 to 2.5 every 2.5 to three hours but I might be a little off :D
  • Thanks. I guess I should clarify for formula fed. ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • We are formula and do 3 oz every 3 hrs and he is 1 week today
  • @kstephens21 mine is 5 1/2 weeks and eating about the same as yours. I was worried about over feeding, but I guess it's fine.
  • Ours does 4-5oz every 4 hours or so at almost 5 weeks.
  • My baby is pretty much formula fed with an occasional bottle of breast milk when my body feels like making it. My little guy is a week today and only consumes about 1 oz every 3 hours, but I was told by my ped it should be 2 to 3 oz every 3 hours

BabyFruit Ticker

• @saiven I had never heard that before. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • saiven said:
    "They" say twice to twice and a half the baby's weight in ounces per day. So if you have a 10 pound baby, you're looking at 20 to 25 ounces per day. We offer breast milk in a bottle and we always offer 3-4 ounces and let him drink until he's done.
    i'm going to have to add up DD's totals on the feeding/pumping/diaper log we keep to see if she's falling in this.  she still wasn't back up to her birth weight at her last weight check on tuesday and she'll be two weeks tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • My twins are 3 weeks old and eating 3.5- 4 oz every 3 hours ... At night they are stretching to every 4 hours now
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• My DD is 2 weeks. She eats 2.25 oz about every 2.5-3 hrs. My pedi is fine with this, as she is just 7 lbs. I was told that roughly the amount fed each day should be weight times 2.5 oz of formula. Thus, a 6 lb baby should eat about 15 oz of formula in a 24 hr period. Every baby is different though!

Ella Rose

1/17/15 born via IVF w/ ICSI

Spontaneous Twins!

Due January 2016

Follow our Journey

• Jackson will be 3 weeks old Friday. He eats 3-4 oz every 2.5-3.5 hours.
  • My LO is 3 weeks old and strictly formula fed. He eats 3-4 ounces every 2-3 hours, but he mostly goes 3 hours in between each feed. His pediatrician basically said, to let him eat as much as he wants. She also said to wake him up for feedings during the day, but let him wake up when he's hungry at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"