December 2014 Moms

Breastfeeding jaundice

After a 3rd bilirubin check, my pediatrician said that our LO has breastfeeding jaundice. The only symptom he has is that he is slightly yellow and the whites of his eyes are a bit yellow.
The pediatrician says it will go away on its own between 6-8 weeks. Experience with this? When did your baby's bilirubin levels go back to normal? Anything you did to help expedite it?

Re: Breastfeeding jaundice

• My little guy had it. It was gone around 3 weeks. My doctor told me to nurse, nurse, nurse as peeing is what gets rid of it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours got very jaundiced right before my milk came in then got better. Was told that breast feeding frequently would help to eliminate it. Lots of fluids! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine had a mild case of it as well at our 3 week checkup.  She is now 6 weeks and the slight yellow tinge to her complexion and eyes is nearly completely gone.  The pediatrician said they don't know what it is in the breast milk that causes it, but more often than not it goes away on its own.  As long as baby eats well, grows well, etc…she said it's not a big deal for concern.  Hope that helps!  My guess is your LO's jaundice will clear up in a few weeks, like ours did :-)

• My boy had the same, we were told to place baby to nap and chill out during the day by a window. No direct sun though - the same for getting them outside
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"