Cloth Diapering
Options

Newborn diapers worth it?

24 lil joeys will cost me about $180. I'll use OS after that. My babies have never been over 6lb 9oz. I used disposable with my last CD'd child. Is it worth the cost, financially? I don't think I'll be selling them once she grows out of them.
? PgAL/PAL Welcome ? My Chart ?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Newborn diapers worth it?

• Options
    o_so_in_loveo_so_in_love member
    edited January 2015
    Totally had my figures wrong! It's $360 for 24... Now I'm really wondering if that's worth it...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't exclusively CD for a newborn, but I think the consensus is to not buy all of the same type/brand until you know what works well on baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, it is worth having a newborn stash because that is when they are going through 15+ dipes a day. That said, I personally wouldn't get a whole set of Lil Joeys. We had two of them, and while they are super cute and trim, my son was constantly leaking through them....they just don't absorb a ton.

If you want a more cost-effective option, prefolds or fitteds with covers are a great way to go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Also, you'll want more like 36 changes for the newborn stage. :)
  • Options
    I concur with the idea of prefolds and covers for nb.....18-24 to wash daily or 36+ to wash every other day (eod). I only used prefolds during ds2's nb period so I can't speak to using fitteds/workhorses. If I remember correctly, I spent less than $100 on my nb stash - all bought new.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    Jillians Drawers has a newborn "rental" program. You actually buy all the diapers yourself and pay a fee to them. Then when your kid grows out of them you can return them all and get a full refund (minus the monthly fee). I havn't done it but it sounds like it would save some money and maybe is something you would want to look into.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Jillians Drawers has a newborn "rental" program. You actually buy all the diapers yourself and pay a fee to them. Then when your kid grows out of them you can return them all and get a full refund (minus the monthly fee). I havn't done it but it sounds like it would save some money and maybe is something you would want to look into.

I did this trial, and it was great. If it hadn't been for the trial, I never would've known how much I like AIO. The link theultimatesak gave though will help with even more advice!

ETA I did the newborn trial where the diapers are to be returned 21 days after first use, not the rental. I kept and am still using the Thirsties Size 1 duowrap from the trial, and it's been four months!
  • Options
    What diapers are you used to using in your OS stash? 

The more cost efficient NB stash would be 24-36 prefolds with 4-8 NB cover.   If you have a little more to spend maybe add in 6 or so NB AIOs so you have a couple easy changes for going out and/or for overnight.

If you really want to do AIOs I would not go with all Lil Joeys, they were my least favorite of the nb diapers we had,  they were cute but we quit using the 2 we had after about 2 weeks because they just were not absorbent enough and the only way to add absorbancy would be to lay something on top (which rather negated the benefits of having bought a stay-dry, easy all-in-one rather than just using a cover).
  • Options

What diapers are you used to using in your OS stash? 

The more cost efficient NB stash would be 24-36 prefolds with 4-8 NB cover.   If you have a little more to spend maybe add in 6 or so NB AIOs so you have a couple easy changes for going out and/or for overnight.

If you really want to do AIOs I would not go with all Lil Joeys, they were my least favorite of the nb diapers we had,  they were cute but we quit using the 2 we had after about 2 weeks because they just were not absorbent enough and the only way to add absorbancy would be to lay something on top (which rather negated the benefits of having bought a stay-dry, easy all-in-one rather than just using a cover).

Last time my AIOs consisted of Charlie Banana and Bumgenius. I also made my own OS covers based off of a Thirsties cover to use with GMD prefolds and flats. I guess I'm feeling a little lazy this go round since I would have to make all new covers. I might have sunned mine too much as the PUL is cracking around the leg elastics...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A lady on the local CD page is selling these... What do y'all think?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lil joeys worked here til 6 weeks, it depends on the baby. I had fitteds for night though, more absorbent. For us it was worth it. Our NB fitteds and covers lasted to 12w, and I sold off the brands I didn't like as much, recouping some of the cost. It turned out the same cost as Naty's sposies, and next child will be way cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"