Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Reflux babies

Anyone else's LO on medicine for reflux?  Poor DS has terrible reflux.  He is 8 weeks old and we started Zantac about a week ago.  The pedi said to give it 7 -10 days for it to work but honestly I really don't see any difference at all.  He is still super fussy throughout the day, still struggling with his bottle, still spitting up a ton (sometime so violently that it comes out his nose), etc.  The only difference is he is sleeping better.  Anyone have experience with this?

H
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Reflux babies

• Options
    My DS also had reflux. He started on Zantac at 2 weeks and we really didn't see an improvement. We were (finally) referred to GI and they put him on liquid Prevacid. It was the absolute best thing for him.

Zantac doesn't stop them from spitting up but removes the acid from it. However, if his throat is sore and raw from the acid already the spit up now will still be uncomfortable. It may get better as his throat heals from the current damage. Prevacid actually helps decrease the spitting up and made DS so much more comfortable. I think Prilosec and Prevacid are the same thing but our insurance would only cover one.

I'm glad he's sleeping better at least. DS slept best in his swing or in the moby for a long time. I also kept his nursing sessions shorter with lots of burping. Hopefully the Zantac will help!
  • Options
    kemb0001kemb0001 member
    edited January 2015

When my LO started Zantac for reflux and gas, it took about 2 weeks for us to see an improvement. Hang in there! 

BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ***lurking from the multiples board*** one of our girls has reflux and just started Zantac. We also started giving her 2 tsp rice cereal in her bottle which has decreased the spit up a ton.... (she used to shoot milk out her nose as well)...the doctor advised us to do this.
    TTC 2 years- Me and DH (28) with (severely) low sperm count- less than 40 total (last 2 SA showed only 5 and 6 sperm each)
    IVF #1: ER 1/23/13- 4 eggs retrieved, 3 eggs fertilized; ET with 1 embryo 1/28/13 2 frosties beta #1 2/5 was 4.8- beta #2 2/7 3.5; BFN
    FET #1- transferred one beautiful 4AA embie. Praying this is my take home baby. Beta 5/7/13- BFFN!!!
    IVF #2: ER 7/17/13: 6R/3F- transferred 1 blast and 1 10 cell embryo 5dt.   Beta hell.  #1 2.5, #2 2.2- BFFFN! REALLY?
    IVF #3: ER 12/1 and only 2 retrieved.  1 fertilized with ICSI.  Was planning on transferring one fresh and one frozen....fresh was only 14 cells at day 5...CANCELLED and devastated due to 5cm blood filled cyst in ovary and blood in uterus.
    IVF #4: Antagonist protocol with endometrial scratch day one of stims.  ER 4/21: 6R/4M/3F- transferred 2 beautiful blasts (5dt) and one was hatching!  No frosties but hoping we won't need it!  Beta 5/4/14- 444(8dp5dt), Beta #2 10dp5dt 1002!  THIS HAS GOT TO BE IT!!!!!!!!!!  First US 5/15 we saw two of the most beautiful gestational and yolk sacs I have ever seen!  
    ****FINALLY PREGNANT WITH DI/DI TWINS!!!!!!!  

BRINLEY AND RILEY LONG.  Born November 20, 2014 at 32 wks 3 days.  4lbs7oz and 4lbs5oz.  1 month NICU time for "B's" and growing and feeding.  Now healthy, thriving, beautiful little girls!
     imagehttp://i62.tinypic.com/2dl9ap0.jpgpghttp://oi61.tinypic.com/o7t1y0.jpg

• Options
    Please don't start rice cereal except on the advice of your doctor. For us, Zantac helps some but not completely so her doctor is prescribing her Prilosec. We'll see if that's any better.

BFP #1 natural mc 4/24/2012 5w1d 
    BFP #2 DS born 3/30/2013 
    BFP #3 cp 2/6/2014 
    BFP #4 natural mc 3/19/2014 5w6d 
    BFP #5 4/27/2014 EDD 12/24/2014 --IT'S A GIRL!

image image 
  • Options
    ahbEsq said:
    Please don't start rice cereal except on the advice of your doctor. For us, Zantac helps some but not completely so her doctor is prescribing her Prilosec. We'll see if that's any better.
    I don't know if I mentioned this in my original post but I breastfeed so the rice cereal in the bottle wouldn't help us anyway.
  • Options
    ahbEsq said:
    I don't know if I mentioned this in my original post but I breastfeed so the rice cereal in the bottle wouldn't help us anyway.
    He only gets one bottle at night from DH. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"