Breastfeeding

Pumping with limited time

Just had a quick question on what would be better for supply.  Normally, I have to pump 15-20 minutes with massage to get most of the milk out, but sometimes I dont have 20 minutes to spare every 4 hours.  Would it be better if I pumped 10 minutes and only partially emptied, or wait longer so I can get the full 20 minutes of pumping?

Me: 34    DH: 28.  Married Jan 2012.  Started TTC Jan 2014.  Got our first BFP April 28th. Baby Boy Born: December 24 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Grow! photo leela_grow.gif

Re: Pumping with limited time

• Can you pump the 10 minutes you have, and then when you have the full 20 minutes, pump again, even if it isn't 4 hours apart?
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If it wasn't an every day thing, I normally had more success if I wanted longer and had adequate time to get a full pumping session in. I think if I had to wait on a regular basis then I would end up with a decrease in my supply. I guess it would depend on how much longer you had to wait because being super engorged makes it hard to get anything else done but only partially pumping always led to clogged ducts for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"