Breastfeeding
Options

Back at work questions

I have just gone back to work after my 6 weeks maternity leave and have a few questions about pumping schedules.
I plan to try to nurse my son between 4-5, then pump and get ready for work, and nurse again at 6:30 right before we leave for the daycare where I work. He is in a room near to mine and I am typically able to take a few minutes to nurse him again between 9 and 10. I get off work at 2. Will I need to pump again after nursing him, or can I just nurse again at 2, followed with pumping again and let them give him a bottle around 12-1? Is that too long to go without pumping/nursing?
My milk supply so far has been good, but I'm worried about it dropping now that I'm back at work. I have been drinking mother's milk tea twice a day and eating oatmeal once a day.
Also, any other tips or encouragement to keep up supply upon returning to work? I really want to make it to 1 year of breastfeeding, but have to admit it's been pretty challenging just to get to 6 weeks!

Re: Back at work questions

• Options
    you only need to pump to replace any feedings that you're missing with your LO. the more times you can feed him directly at the breast, the better-- you body is stimulated better by your LO than the pump, so that will help keep your supply up. is it possible to just stop over and nurse him for all of the feedings while you're at work? even if you had to stay a little later to make up the time, i think you would still come out ahead. cleaning and packing bottles and pump parts and preparing bottles for DC takes up a lot of time.

RE keeping your supply up- just be consistent. even if you're doing a mix of pumping and nursing your LO, make sure that you get your sessions in each day, as close to a regular schedule as possible. prioritize feeding/pumping for your LO. sounds like you're already doing great with the mother's milk tea and oatmeal. make sure to drink lots of water. some women find that calcium and magnesium supplements also help with their supply.

it gets easier, i promise! the first 6 weeks are definitely the most challenging. it only gets better and more rewarding the longer you BF. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"