Infertility
Options

Am I being unreasonable?

So yesterday my soon to be sister in law tells me they're about to foster a dog and that they're 99% sure they'll decide to keep it. She says they're going to name it Elli. I said, well... Elliot (Elli for short) is our HUMAN name of choice. She responded, well if you want to name your baby after our dog it doesn't bother me. She was joking but made the decision to go ahead with Elli regardless.

Am I being unreasonable if I straight up ask them not to use the name? Is it fair to say that this dream child of mine named Elli trumps their naming decision for something that is actually here and real? I'm not a trouble maker and hate controversy, but, in my defense... this soon to be sister in law also thinks its funny to play the "I'm pregnant" announcement game with me all the time. She knows everything we're going through (IF & IVF) and has decided to make insensitive cruel jokes, so should I care about her hurting her feelings with naming their dog?!

Ughh the stupid things my mind worries about...
Me: 27 yrs old. Arcuate uterus, very short luteal phases (even with progesterone supp.), naturally long irregular cycles, poor response to all IF meds
DH: 27 yrs old. Low morphology
TTC since Jan. 2014. No BFPs ever :(
8/14: 1st IUI w/ clomid, BFN
9/14: 2nd IUI w/ clomid, BFN
10/14: 3rd IUI w/ clomid, BFN
12/14: 1st IVF, BFN. 6 eggs retrieved. 5 fertilized. 1 transferred. Two frozen embryos
2/15: 1st FET scheduled. Cautiously optimistic.

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

• Options
    typos correction: .... so should I care about hurting her feelings with naming their dog
    Me: 27 yrs old. Arcuate uterus, very short luteal phases (even with progesterone supp.), naturally long irregular cycles, poor response to all IF meds
    12/14: 1st IVF, BFN. 6 eggs retrieved. 5 fertilized. 1 transferred. Two frozen embryos

• Options
    I have never understood why people get so sensitive about names, so I personally think you are being silly. It is not like she picked it to hurt you she likes the name. 
    me 33- everything looks good
    mister 34- PCD zero motilty 
    TTC#1 using donor sperm
    IUI#1 Dec 2nd-BFN
    IUI# Dec 28th-BFN
    IUI#3 Jan 26th-BFN
    IUI#4  Feb 26th-BFP
    mc March 2014
    IUI#5 April 6th prometrium-BFN
    IUI #6 cancled ovulated too early
    IVF# 1 July
    ER: Aug 3rd: 18R 15M 14F
    10 embryos frozen
    ET: Oct. 7th 1x5BA blast-BFN
    ET: Jan 9th 1x3AA blast- Beta 1/21

imageimageimageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So SIL may not be the most sensitive person in the world but it doesn't sound like you actually straight up asked her not to name her dog Elli.  I'd start there and if possible have the convo with both her and your brother.  She may not know what the name means to you and even though you may voluntarily NOT move forward with the name it doesn't mean she'll pick up on that.
    Me:36 DH:40
    Married since May, 2012; TTC since September, 2012
    DX: Blocked Fallopian Tube, Hashimoto's
    March 2014 - Clomid, Trigger, TI = BFN, April 2014 - Clomid, Trigger, TI = BFN, May 2014 - Clomid, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN, June & July 2014 - Natural cycles = BFN, August 2014 - Femara, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN, September 2014 - Femara, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN
    Prepping for IVF in with ER/ET slated for early February

• Options
    I personally don't think it matters one way or another. If you like the name and you get the chance to use it, then use it, whoever else is using it be damned. You will be the one saying it every day for the rest of your life. And if you like the name who cares if a dog has the same name. I mean really my cat's name is Claire. Plenty of people are named that and there was once even discussion of using that name again! for a kid if the cat had already passed, simply because we like the name. Whatever you do don't make a stink of it, if she's already unsupportive its only going to make that worse.

TTC since March of 2012
    Me: 27 Dh: 35 Testing Begins 3/5/13
    Six SA's show DH has low numbers across the board = severe MFI
    Genetic testing for me = MTHFR+, also carrier for blood clotting disorder Otherwise all else normal
    Dh's karotype= Normal!!
     Mini-IVF/ICSI - July -August 2014 - 1R,M,&F Transferred 1 Grade 1 Morula-5dt - BFFN

• Options
    My friend has used many of my favourite names for her cats. It happens. No reason you can't use the name for more than one purpose.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    I don't think you are being silly. Family is supposed to have your back, and your future SIL knows you are going through a lot so she should try and support you.  That crack about you naming your kid after her dog is just plain wrong.  I wish I could throat punch her for you!!  I would talk to your brother and tell him how much it hurts your feelings.  If they still name their dog that then you know they do not have your back.  Good luck.

My TTC Story:

Me: 40,DH: 48, Married 10/07/2011, TTC since 09/2011, 03/2012 Started Clomid, 04/2012
    Clomid, 05/2012 Clomid, 06/2012 Went to RE, he found a plum size fibroid in uterus, husband has low sperm count, 06/06/2012 Removed fibroid, 08/2012 Hysteroscopy
    IVF #1 October 2012 - Retrieved 8 eggs, 5 fertilized, 10/13/2012 Transferred 3 embryos - 8, 5, and 4 cells,
    the other 2 eggs did not survive freezing, 10/26/2012 BFP!! Beta: 11, 10/26/12 Beta: 2 = Chemical Pregnancy
    IVF #2 - March 2014 - Mini IVF - Retrieved 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 4 Frosties - 8, 9, 7, and 7 cells all in good condition. 

IVF #3 - May 2014 - Mini IVF - Retrieved 2 eggs, 2 fertilized, 2 Frosties - 6 and 8 in good condition. 
    FET #1 - September 2014 - Transferred 2 embryos - both 8 cells - BFN

FET#2 - November 2014 - Transferred 2 embryos - BFN

FET#3 - February 2014

*PAIF/SAIF Welcome*

image image  image image   image image

• Options
    Thanks for your input ladies. I think my real issue isn't just about names. I think I'm just upset she continues to poke fun at my IF issues and can't be supportive. This was just one more notch to add to the others with her. My mom says she's immature and has "only child syndrome" (no offense to only children!), and that she has trouble playing nice with others. She has many selfish tendencies. I keep reminding my mom we aren't kids anymore and she's a grown up just like I am. So no excuses! I truly do hope they never experience this IF stuff because it sucks, but also because I don't think they could handle it. All of this aside, she and I have been good friends up until lately when she's said and done many insensitive things. I just wish she could be more understanding. I've cooled off quite a bit since my first post. Again, thanks for your input!

• Options

I'm sorry she is being like that! If you really like the name, I think you should still go with it and just laugh it off in the future if anyone comments/asks about it. If she is acting so immature about your situation, she'll probably do it no matter what you say.

Good luck!

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

• Options
    Siggy warning- what makes you sure you will have a boy? I used to have a boy name picked out and turns out, we are having two girls whose names we've changed in the past few days....let her name dog whatever she wants. I learned that IF can make us extra sensitive
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Options
    It's our boy or girl name. But like I said, it's really not just a name thing. It's the name thing on top of many other things she's done to us (many on purpose). I've never asked her to stop but I don't feel like should have to and I don't want to stir stuff even more so I'm trying to ignore her. It's just tough.

• Options
    She's a jerk. No other advice really. But she's a jerk.
    *****siggy warning****

TTC#2
    IVF in April 2015
    Started TTC #1 in 2009
    BFP #1: m/c at 7w2d in 2010
    BFP #2: m/c at 10w3d in 2010
    BFP #3: ectopic at 5w in 2011, lost one tube and learned the other was in bad shape
    2 failed (and useless) IUIs, moved to IVF 
    BFP #4: Healthy baby girl born 8/2013
  • Options
    I totally feel for you, but mostly because I also had a SIL who was a total nightmare. I could sense it right away in your post that it definitely wasn't about the name, but more so about your SIL-to-be's intent behind naming her dog Elli, which was just another way she has control over you and your feelings. Of course, I don't know you nor your SIL-to-be, but I have definitely been in your shoes where you SIL has serious passive aggressive tendencies. Don't worry... just remember, her actions are not about you and they're not even about the name of her dog or your future child... They are about her! She's likely jealous of some aspect of your life and feels the need to make herself feel better by taking jabs at your and your weakness. Kill her with kindness! ;) 
    TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

• Options
    Best advice EVER @MagicMikki‌!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"