Working Moms

tell me about your great childcare experiences

alli2672alli2672 member
edited January 2015 in Working Moms

We are moving and looking for childcare again.  We have had a string of so-so childcare experiences with babysitters, daycare, and aupairs, and I am having trouble finding the motivation to go through this all again. 

So, tell me about what you love about your childcare.  I need some hope that we can find a great person to take care of our kids. 

ETA:  Also, how did you find your nanny/childcare?  How long have you been with them?  Anything else...

Re: tell me about your great childcare experiences

• We really enjoy our preschool. It starts at age 2 and goes to 5 years. It is church based (Lutheran). As long as it is around, all my children will go thru.
  • Our first DC with DS opened a baby room for him. He had one on one care for a few months. When we later moved his Montessori opened an infant class for him. He was the first, then one of two for a few months. This made tha transitions so much easier! They just didn't have enrollment at that age, at that time and it was all good timing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We love love love our DCP. 

It's an in home day care-- she has 5 or 6 kids (depending on the day) and one helper.  I really feel like it's helped my DD blossom-- she's one of the most outgoing kids you will ever meet, and she knows all of her shapes, animals, letters, colors, numbers 1-20 etc.

We found her from a random google search for local day care.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• We love our daycare. We go to a KinderCare by our house (like, two minutes away). The staff have all been there 3-15 years, and they all seem to really love their jobs. Our LO is all smiles when I drop him off (he's 8 months old), and he loves his teachers. They give us full reports every day, and he comes home clean, fed, and happy. 

Hang in there!
  • We hires a SAHM neighbor across the street. She moved in at the time we were looking for someone. I asked. She said yes. She has two kids the same age as mine. Two are in school. Two are not. We have similar values and parenting styles. Her and her family have become friends. It's an easy, low stress situation.
  • DD is in a preschool a friend recommended. It's small (7 kids and 2 teachers in her room), and her teachers are just lovely. Next year, the plan is to start her in the private school where she will go k-12, and we are having serious doubts about taking her our of her current school because we all love it so much.
  • We go to the Y.  DD1 started there when she was 3 mos old and DD2 and DS1 have all gone.  There is very little turnover and the DCPs have become our friends.  They go on field trips, take swim lessons, can be enrolled in other classes at the Y and now DD1 and DD2 go to the afterschool program the Y runs.  It is amazing and I would not trade the experiences at all.  Both DD1 and DD2 went into kindergarten well prepared with the curriculum. We are still friends with other parents we met at the DC with DD1 to this day.  I looked at so many options with DD1 (in home, Montessori, other large centers) and this is where I felt the most comfortable.  Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We're at a small Montessori School that goes to 7th grade for DS and I do like it. 

I think the things that make this place a home run for me is that they seem to really love my kid and think he's cool - so good judgment right there - and the teachers seem to enjoy being there and believe in what they are doing at the school. Even when I think some of it is a little weird, they are always thinking of kids first.

\image  image

• We loved our first DC. It had the most amazing, caring teachers. It was a little run down, so i think it was flying under the radar at the time, even though it was 30yrs old! I didn't mind that they were in trailers though: they spent their funds on the teachers and it SHOWED. Amazing retention of 15+ years for some teachers, in every room. Loved the Reggio Emilia teaching philosophy too.

We only left there because we moved cross country. I still miss it. Her current DC is okay.
  • DS goes to an in-home and our provider loves our child as much as we do. We were even at her house for dinner on Saturday night and she practically risked her life when DS was trying to climb into a booster seat on the kitchen chair and lost his balance. She literally threw herself out of her chair to catch him from hitting his head on the tile. 

DS loves it there and truly learns so much. The pediatrician says that developmentally he is much further along from where he should be and I accredit that to our daycare. 

I found our daycare by searching the state of michigan's site for licensed providers and began calling around to talk to people and eventually going out and meeting them. This place just felt like home and a perfect fit for us when I found it. 

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I love our in-home DCP, and she has actually become a dear friend over the years.  We met her at church.  She was the second person we told that we were PG with DS; we were hoping she could keep us in mind if a spot opened up.  By chance, she had an infant spot open up 2 weeks after we talked to her about DC, and she held the spot for us, no charge (!), for 10 months.  She is the kind of person who does DC because she truly enjoys it.

We sent DS to a center for preschool 2 days a week beginning the Fall he turned 4.  (We thought having some classroom-type activities would help him transition to kindergarten.)  We were referred there by people DH works with - it's actually located across the street from his office, so the location was very convenient.  We'll be sending DD there this Fall for preschool 2 days a week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kids go to a church preschool (ages 2 and 4). We are so very happy. I work next door and I drop in occasionally, and I have never walked in and found them even the slightest bit unhappy. They have a wonderful playground, recreational gym, and lunchroom. My kids are in love with their teachers. It is a little pricey, but the quality and connivence are amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"