September 2014 Moms

Names for grandparents?

seamonkey0814 got me wondering... What have you ended up calling your LO's grandparents? Are there older kids who have already decided or is yours the first? Anyone else have conflicts come up?

My dad had some trouble adjusting to the idea of being a grandpa, so apparently (I learned at Christmas) he decided he wanted to be called DaJo - "dad" plus the beginning of our last name. Bizarre, we're calling him Grandpa and my mom is Grandma. DH's dad is Poppy or Pop-pop, whatever our 6-year old niece is using these days.
What I'm not sure about is what to call DH's step-mom. The niece calls her Grandma, and
DH's mom (who died when she was a baby) is Nana. FIL remarried a couple years ago, so DH and I call his wife by her first name. She said something about how she thinks it's cool when kids call their grandparents by their first names, but I dunno if that was a hint that she'd be ok with it, or what.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker
Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

Re: Names for grandparents?

• My mom insists on being called Grandma. Apparently she had been dreaming of being "Grandma" since my younger brother was out of diapers, and actually gets quite angry if referred to as anything else. My dad is Grandpa. My in-laws are Papa and Nana.
  • My parents are mommom and pawpaw, I have older nephew and neice.

ILs are Nanny and papaw. MIL just remarried but he loves this girl like she was his own. He keeps saying he knows he's not really her papaw... And I say who cares! H's two kids still call him by his first name but will say papaw one in a while.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • My parents are Abuela and Abuelo. My ILs are grandma and grandpa. Having two different backgrounds made that easy!
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• My mom and step-dad are grandma and grandpa Frank, dad and his wife are granbob (his name is Bob. Someone I know has this name for her dad for her baby and I loved it and stole it for my dad) and mimi. Dh's parents are Grammy and grampy.
  • We are boring over here. Everyone is grandma/grandpa + first name. This kid has four grandmas and three grandpas...maybe we should be a little more original!

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My parents are grandma and grandpa.  IL's only have two other grandkids, who call them Barka and Bop-bop (neither of which my husband and I like).  I've been calling my FIL Doo-Dah for a decade, so he is Doo-Dah and my MIL (who wants to be grandma) is Gram.
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

• My mom is grandma and dad will always be grandpa ( lost him in 2012 when ds1 was 2. Actually our dog knew my MIL as " nana sue" sort of as a joke and DS learned it so it stuck. We then named my FIL papa to match. Apparently they hate it. I never knew but found out from a cousin in law recently and hear them referring to themselves as grandma and grandpa. My FIL tried getting DS1 to call him " pops" but I found it obnoxious.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• My parents are are Grandma and Papa, we also called my dad's dad Papa, we all loved him so much, sadly he passed away before my brother and I had babies, so for my dad it is kinda special for him to be a Papa.

My in-laws go back and forth between grandma and grandpa in english and in Korean. Grandma and grandpa is very difficult to say in Korean! And my mother-in-law loves being a "Grandma".
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mom wants to be called Gram. My dad wants grandpa. So my stepmom will be called grandma. My mil wants mamita because that's what she called her grandma. And FIL wants pop pop. I still call them grandma and grandpa to him. When he gets older if he wants to call them that he can. Or just stick with grandma and grandpa.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mother and FIL both passed away before DS was even on his way. So that simplified things. MIL is Grandma and my dad is Grandpa. We will refer to the two that passed as Grandma/Grandpa "last name" but we will see how DS does with it as time goes on. First grand kid so no prior influence. I'm glad it's not so confusing.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't want my kid to call them by their first names. I know it's family but I still feel like it's respectful to not use adults first names. It's how I was raised.

• LO is the first grandchild all around. He will call dh's parents grandma and grandpa, dh's grandparents are great grandma, great grandpa, and great grandpa buddy.

My mom is Nanny. If LO ever meets my father he will be trained to call him Mr. (Last name).

imageimage

• ILs are Cee Cee and poppy. My parents and step parents are all grandma/grandpa.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IL are grandma and grandpa. My mom is abuelita and I'm pretty sure my dad is fine being abuelito. He's Afghan and since me and my half sisters don't really speak Farsi, I think he's ok with not being called grandpa in Farsi.
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
  • Since I can't edit I meant my dad is fine being grandpa lol
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
  • The first grandkids picks the name, so on my side its preset to Nana & Guga. For now the ILs are grama, grandpa dippy, great grama and great grandpa. I am sure they will change once LO is talking.

• My parents are nana and papa, dh's parents are grandpa and grandma. My grandparents are grandma and grandpa also to their faces and we add their last name to differentiate between who we are talking about.
  • My parents are nana and papaw
    My husbands parents are Hedy( short for heather) and Dude(we say GrandDude)
  • My mom is called grandma, my grandparents are Mamaw and papaw. DHs mom is Kay Kay, she was too young when DHs neice was born and didn't think grandma or nana, everything sounded "old" to her and she didn't want to be old. So her first name is Kay and was decided she would be Kay Kay. DHs dad is poppa. DD can't say poppa so she calls him papaw too. He gets upset about it bc that's what the other grandchild came up with first, he can get over it. She can call him what she wants. DHs grandparents are pop and granny. I also have a granny and she doesn't get them confused.

With DHs family everyone has a "name" and it aggravates the shit out of me when DD is suppose to stick to that, bc that's what her cousin called them when she started talking. It's like Kay Kay. DH has two other sister besides her mother and DH and the two of them sound like DHs mom. They will never accept that DD will call them what she wants.
  • I sometimes wonder if this is one of those topics that I brush off as "not a big deal" right now and my mind will change when it comes my time to be "grandma"...

Personally, I'm struggling to call everyone by their preferred names because growing up in my family I had grandma and grandpa v and grandma k (my other grandfather died when I was little). So it is second nature to call everyone grandma and grandpa.

On my husband's side, LO is not the first grandkid, so we go by what my nieces and nephews use (Grandma and Pop).

On my side, my mom is Grandma and my dad wants to be "Gramps" because that's what his dad went by.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We just call them Grandmas. Grandma Ruthie, Grandma Deb. DH Grandmother is still Grandma Fox - even though for LO she is Great-Grandma Fox, although we have started calling her GG Fox, as we think it might be easier for LO.

Now what he ends up calling them is a totally different story! :)

• There are no great-grandparents left in my family. My parents have been Nana & Paw Paw since my first born, 22 yrs ago. So my 3 an a half month old will call them that as well. My dad is paw paw to all the grand kids (6 in all). I'm the baby of two older brothers. I had the first grandchild an just had their last September 30, 2014. My oldest bro had a daughter, she calls my mom Mimi. My other bro's first son calls her Nana. He also has a daughter an second son. They call my mom BooBoo. So my dad is Paw Paw an my mom is Nana, Mimi & Booboo. Lol
  • My in laws are Nona and Papa, my parents are Nana and Papa Cliffy. My in laws have three older grandkids so that was set, my mom has been Aunt Nana (her first name is Jana so mispronounced by the little kids) for 20 plus years, and my Dads first name is Cliff, but all of us kids have jokingly referred to him as Cliffy since we were teenagers. I have no idea why we stopped calling him Dad, but we did lol.
  • Nonna and Nonno with their first names
  • My IL's are Bebe and Dede (yay for Russian backgrounds on one side!). My mom is "Grandma" and then she has my dad as "Grandpa" and my step mom as Grandma Mary. She's got some great grands on both sides but right now she doesn't see them enough to warrant names for them... and sadly I doubt either set will be around long enough for her to really devise a name for them herself.  
  • lmimms87lmimms87 member
    edited January 2015
    Our parents were really annoying and strange with this decision. My mom is "Big Mama," long story and it's funny because she's teeny tiny. My dad is "Papa John" because he thought it was cute to be like the pizza, but also I called his father "Papa Sam." My step mom wants to be "Gan Gan" but DH and I aren't really fans, but we don't have an idea for another name. DH's dad is "Grandpa," nice, simple and normal. DH's mom wants to be "Grammy," which we once again aren't big fans of so we'll probably just call her Grandma.

ETA: first grandchild on both sides.
  • My ILs are just Grandma and Grandpa because they think other names are silly and 'hillbilly'... I have no problem with Grandma and Grandpa, especially since they have 2 other grandkids that came first so DD didn't have have a choice lol, but I was a little offended at their reasoning, as I grew up with Mimi and Papa and Memaw and Pawpaw. My mom is Nana and my dad doesn't want to pick anything until DD decides on her own, so we just randomly call him different names.
  • My MIL requested to be called granny lol.
  • My parents are mom mom and pop pop
    Dh mom and step dad are Mimi and pops
    Dh dad and stepmom are pepere (peh-pay) and glammie... Yes you read that right. GLAMmie...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"