June 2015 Moms
Options

Recommended Pregnancy Books

edited January 2015 in June 2015 Moms
I could have sworn we had a thread somewhat recently that listed some of our favs, but I couldn't find it... I thought it would be a great idea to post some recommendations of our favorite books for mothers-to-be. I can't stress how much anxiety is lifted from moms-to-be when you are armed with some good old knowledge about what is happening and likely to happen to your body. Read a book, ease your mind!

My recommendations are:

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, And good ol' What to Expect When Expecting, Your Pregnancy Week by Week

ETA paragraph fail

Re: Recommended Pregnancy Books

• Options
    I second what to expect when your expecting
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • Options
    I read the ACOG's "Your Pregnancy and Childbirth". My OB's office gave it to me. I've enjoyed it so far. 
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Loading the player...
  • Options

A friend gave me the Mayo Clinic guide. It's much more my style than WTE (which I still read).

Mayo is a little more direct, and written/edited by physicians. The Q&A format of some of the WTE sections drives me a little nuts.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My recommendations are:

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy,
    Ina May's Guide to Childbirth,
    And good ol' What to Expect When Expecting,
    Your Pregnancy Week by Week

ETA paragraph fail

These are my recommendations as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like the Mayo Clinic book as well.
    CW + KJ: 8.10.2013
    1st Baby W Due: 6.25.2015
    BabyFruit Ticker

photo e2a5dc19-be96-4d99-b2d6-da7922f6c601_zps08cbe34a.jpg photo 319d419c-5eb1-4d11-a435-225e0a3417f3_zps1ea6c8b4.jpg
  • Options
    My insurance company sent me the Maya Clinic Guide and I like it! I've also read the Dr. Sears Pregnancy Book which I also enjoyed.
    BabyFetus Ticker

June 2015 January Signature Challenge: Pinterest Fails
  • Options
    mmo2112mmo2112 member
    edited January 2015

Also, DH picked this up and recommends it for dads: https://www.amazon.com/Expectant-Father-Advice-Dads---Be/dp/0789210770/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421350025&sr=8-2&keywords=dad+pregnancy

He likes that it doesn't make inane statements based on gender stereotypes. It's also generally informative and straightforward.

ETA title and authors, if you don't want to click through: The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-Be by Brott & Ash

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    What to Expect is a good resource.  I also have the Mayo Guide that is more technical.  Both are good.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    I like What to Expect (husband is reading that more than I am, haha). I have the Ina May book on my nightstand but haven't really read it too much yet.

I've also skimmed my copies of What to Expect the First Year and Happiest Baby on the Block to prepare for post-baby!
  • Options
    blu-eyedwifeblu-eyedwife member
    edited January 2015
    My all time favorite is Pregnancy Day by Day.

Every.single.question that is asked on this board is answered.  What happens at your first appointment?  When should I feel movement?  What do they look for at an anatomy scan?  How much weight should I gain?  What exercises can I do?  What can I eat?  Should we share the name?  What's going on if there are twins in there?  Should we find out the sex?

In addition to that there is a picture of what the cells/embryo/fetus looks like every day.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    pcrunk said:
    I'm in the middle of Brain Rules for Baby by John Medina. I really like it so far. I have Happiest Baby on the Block on deck for when I finish this one.

Happiest baby on the block was a life-saver for me with my daughter. Excellent book!
  • Options
    I definitely second The Girlfriend's Guide. Especially for all of those, "wtf is happening to my body?" "is this normal?" questions.
    imageimageimage

J15 January Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

Pregnancy Ticker

Married: 12/08/12
    BFP: 09/21/14
    EDD: 06/04/15

~*~ book nerd forever | Tar Heel '07 ~*~
  • Options
    Mayo Clinic + WTE. I also google things from the Panic Free Pregnancy when I want to check about getting my hair colored or eating sushi. (he says both are okay, just avoid high mercury fish)

I'm a FTM, but I've already bought and read Happiest Baby on the Block. Pregnancy is such a short time period. I think shit will get REAL in June. Need to be prepared. I had a friend who really struggled the first months of motherhood and she told me, "I was really into being pregnant, I didn't spend anytime actually preparing to be a mom."

Pregnancy Ticker  image
  • Options
    I really liked Birthing from Within. My husband is devouring Brain Rules for Baby. Of course Ina May's books are awesome.
  • Options
    I got this one for me: "The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood" and this one for DH "The Expectant Father"

For a spiritual approach I suggest "Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives" by Deepak Chopra
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The mayo clinic book, Ina may's book, girlfriend's guide, happiest baby on the block, raising an emotionally intelligent child.

DH has been reading his way through The Birth Partner (a book for Dad's and doulas) and a book I got him for christmas called Be Prepared: a practical handbook for dads. He spent Christmas evening reading that one and really liked it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
     Expecting our first - Alice Irene - 6/5/15

• Options
    What to Expect and Happiest Baby on the Block. Any nursing book recs? I did okay last time with it but I'd like to make it longer this time.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Options
    Ok, I am going to be the odd one out and say I HATED What to Expect...the way she writes drove me crazy...I guess if I would have used it as a resource instead of reading all the way through it might have been ok, but "everything is normal" and she puts everything in parenthesis...oy! Drove me nuts! I didn't even get it out this pregnancy as I couldn't stand it! Just another opinion for ya...one of my good friends did say that the week by week book is good though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    mamayo26 said:

Ok, I am going to be the odd one out and say I HATED What to Expect...the way she writes drove me crazy...I guess if I would have used it as a resource instead of reading all the way through it might have been ok, but "everything is normal" and she puts everything in parenthesis...oy! Drove me nuts! I didn't even get it out this pregnancy as I couldn't stand it! Just another opinion for ya...one of my good friends did say that the week by week book is good though.

You're not alone! I hate it, too! I reference it sometimes, but more like 'is this normal?' And then I'll google it. And then MAYBE look it up in what to expect. I never feel good about pregnancy when reading it.
  • Options
    lwyz said:

mamayo26 said:

You're not alone! I hate it, too! I reference it sometimes, but more like 'is this normal?' And then I'll google it. And then MAYBE look it up in what to expect. I never feel good about pregnancy when reading it.
    I concur with this. It wasn't a cover to cover read for me either, but good reference.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Options
    For anyone who is aiming for or thinking about a drug-free birth, I recommend "Birth Skills" by Juju Sundin & Sarah Murdoch. Lots of great techniques that really worked for me second time around.
  • Options
    mamayo26 said:
    It annoyed me too, and I didn't even read it cover to cover... most of the stuff in there seemed like things I could easily find online, so I ended up taking it back to the bookstore. If I feel I really need a copy in the future, I might hit up the thrift store for one.
    BFP#1: 9/21/13  EDD: 5/31/14 m/mc @ 7w6d on 10/27/13
    BFP#2: 10/4/14  EDD: 6/7/15  DD born 6/4/15💕
    BFP#3: 12/24/19 EDD: 9/6/20
  • Options
    I read a lot about pregnancy initially but then I realized that minion is coming relatively soon so I've moved on to books specific to babies to prep DH and I. I read Sh!t No one Tells You About the First Year. It provided humor but also gave a bit of a reality check.

I'm also reading The Happiest Baby on the Block. I'm liking what I've read so far and it's good to hear from STM+ saying it was helpful for them!
  • Options
    Follow up question... Did any of you get the DVD for Happiest Baby on the Block? I want DH to be on the same page and I want to expose him to the information but he would be more likely to view video format than book format.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"