September 2014 Moms

Disagreeing with pediatrician

Have you had your pediatrician tell you something about your baby that you didn't agree with?
Did you follow the advice or keep doing what you were doing?
Did you keep seeing that pediatrician?

I only ask because at G's 4 month appt the Dr still has concern over his weight. He's 26.75 inches and 22 lbs 12 ounces (born at 22 inches and 10 lbs 14 ounces and she is worried that I'm overfeeding. I don't even know how to research for new doctors since I got her from someone's recommendation.
Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14

Re: Disagreeing with pediatrician

• Aww what a cutie! Are you BF or FF? If you're BF it's pretty much impossible to overfeed straight from the tap. Some babies are just big (like mine!). I don't know how FF works so I have no input there.
    Either way you should absolutely get a 2nd opinion if your dr's advice doesn't feel right to you. They're human beings and therefore don't know everything and can make mistakes.
    Good luck!

• Sorry I guess I should've added that @Everyusernameistaken‌. I breast feed most of the time and my mom gives him a bottle of breast milk at most twice a day while I'm at work and he drinks anywhere from 2-4 ounces.
  • Loading the player...
  • Then honestly it sounds VERY unlikely he is being overfed and I would look for a new pedi. How stressful , I'm sorry you are dealing with this!

• edited January 2015
    You may also want to get a LC's opinion if you are concerned.

• I was worried mine would think I'm overfeeding DD bc she eats 6 ounces at daycare x4 and then breastfeeds a lot too. I wouldn't be surprised if she was putting down way more than 30oz a day. Your guy doesn't sound like he is over eating at all. My pedi just said to take my vitamins and buckle up lol. I have gotten bad sleep advice as well pretty similar to what @kaitlinr87‌ said. I ignored her and DD has started to sleep in longer stretches her own without me doing anything.

In the end I really feel like you are the mom and you know your baby. Always take your pedis advice under consideration but it's not the final word. I would get a second opinion for sure in your position.
  • You are supposed to double your weight around now, so I think it seems fine.  My doctor says you can't overfeed, especially if you are breastfeeding, and they'll spit it back up if they are overeating.  My LO was 9lbs 1 oz, and is now almost 20 lbs, and he is in 12 month clothes, but everyone just says he's a big guy.  I would not look for a new doctor unless this doctor has said other weird things or is demanding you change.  Just nod and do want you think is right.
  • Seriously? That's bs. It doesn't sound like you are anywhere even on the radar of over feeding.

Honestly, I think this is parents choice on how comfortable you feel with this person taking care of your child. I would kind of brush it off the first time but if it's brought up again I would consider moving on after a discussion about over feeding. I've heard that docs should not bring up a baby being over weight because when kids are this young it's just how their bodies work. He looks like an absolutely healthy and happy guy! (My little guy is starting to chunk up a little also and I LOVE the chubby little legs and all the chins!!!)
  • Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited January 2015
    He is so beyond adorable. He looks like a happy healthy boy. I would get a second opinion. BF babies often chunk up young and then thin out once they start crawling and moving.
  • anewadventureanewadventure member
    edited January 2015
    @RoniH718

is there some compelling reason or situation as to why you can't change your pediatrician at your whim? IMO, if you even have to ask whether you should, then you should switch. why stick with a doctor that raises any doubts in your mind?

unless you live in a one road town or on a military base, there have got to be plenty of other doctors. find one.

ETA: i see that you said you don't know how to find a new one...how about the internet? if your first try doesn't work out - keep looking.

for those of you in the washington dc or chicago metro areas, i highly recommend consumers checkbook (to be fair, i don't know how robust the chicago listings are since it is a newer branch for the organization but the dc metro org is just phenomenal)

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Breastfed babies can't really be overfed. They eat what they need and then stop, or comfort nurse which is a different kind of sucking/ little to no swallowing.

About the pedi, yes they have said stuff I disagree with. Depending on how big of a disagreement is how I decided to switch. For instance, ours just told us to start cereal at 4 mo. I don't agree, so I just ignore her opinion. But it's not a reason to switch.

I think it's important to have a breastfeeding friendly pedi,
    So I would Prob switch
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Agree with PP that since you're obviously concerned, it's time to switch. Look up a couple on the Internet, and then go meet with them. More often than not you will be able to "interview" them without actually having to bring your kid for an appointment. Feel them out. Maybe slip in a question on their opinion on "over fed" babies and see how they respond.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • The hospital we go to has a "find a doctor" and will list available doctors that can take on new patients. Another option is a local mom Facebook group, you can ask for recommendations depending on what insurance you have.

• Your baby is not overweight. Mine is 3 lbs bigger than that at 4 months. BF babies tend to be larger the first 6 months with the FF babies catching up with them after 6 months. Your pedi should not be alarming you over this.

I've disagreed with my pedi over CIO. My H and I are against it and have never done it with or two year old despite eye rolls and comments about how 'we'll get over that'. The pedi that said that is not our current pedi.

Most recently our pedi got suggested solids at 4 months for DD. Something I easily ignored from DS's pedi at 4 months, instead waiting until DS was closer to 6 and showing the signs of readiness. With DD the pedi commented on how alert and social she is and how she's 'advanced' because her older brother stimulates her so much. So before the day was through I convinced myself that it's just as bad to start too late as start too soon so we tried some. Nope. She was not interested at all and did not show any signs of readiness. So I'm sticking to my original plan of waiting. I'm the parent.
  • Thanks to all for the advice. I'm hoping I can schedule an apt with a dr to interview them. It's a shame bc this dr is one of their lactation experts too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"