March 2015 Moms

Mamaroo vs Swing vs RnP

So, with my previous kiddos, we did the Fisher Price rainforest swing that went side to side and back and forth... worked fine, but I hated the batteries only option. Also got a "baby catapult" vibrating seat at my shower then... so I was covered. But now thing are cooler and fancier... so looking to some more recent advice from younger STMs.

Is something like the mamaroo worth it? I am interested in it because of the variations, and because it doesn't have to have me walk over to rock it over and over (like the RnP) and seems like it won't bog down with a heavier baby (like the swing). I also like that it reclines a little better than the swing did. I don't know that I love how immobile the mamaroo is (very heavy)... the bouncer is nice to be able to move to the bathroom when I shower, or take with us on trips to grandmas, etc.

Thoughts?

imageimageimage

Re: Mamaroo vs Swing vs RnP

• I was able to find a RnP on clearance for $38 at Target, and I have it downstairs for naps, but that's also what I used the swing for with my previous kids. So I am debating returning the RnP or sending it to grandma's for the swing. I am thinking of just adding it to my registry and using the completion coupon to snag it, and taking baby to BRU or something to try it out... I don't have any local friends with one.

I totally get the every baby likes something different thing... I say it all the time... but new technology makes me start wondering!

imageimageimage
  • I have a RNP that was given to us by a friend, which she used for her daughter. I also have a swing from when my son was a baby. I plan on using both of those, though only one would be sufficient. I will likely leave the swing at my parents house for when we are there with baby. I want to get a little bouncer seat as well, as I plan on bringing the RNP to my office with me when I come back to work (I am able to bring baby with me when I want to)
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a FTM, so have no clue what babies like - but I did buy the Mamaroo. I think it's pretty portable - at least around the house. I plan to put it on a table in the bathroom when I shower or move it to the kitchen table when I'm cooking or put it upstairs in the office on the floor if I am working from home.

I also registered for the RNP and a FP swing - to buy with the completion coupon - and from what I have heard I will probably buy the RNP but not the swing - unless the Mamaroo ends up being a PITA to take up and down stairs.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• WhitfryWhitfry member
    edited January 2015
    One of DH's coworkers is selling us a gently used (her sons only a couple months old) mamaroo at a good price. So I'm hopeful that baby J will like it. We were also gifted a little swing that I might keep at my parents house, and a little RNP style seat thingy that I'll most likely keep in the bathroom for showers and things. I could never bring myself to pay retail for a mamaroo, though.
  • DS hated the mamaRoo. He would tolerate it for about 10 minutes.

I think it's really hit or miss, some moms swear by it and others say their kids hated it. It's not cheap so I would recommend buying gently used or borrowing from friend/family if possible.
  • Has anyone ever used the RnP that rocks on its own? I saw one online and am intrigued!
    For SuzyQ0525 and all other M15 losses

BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY !!!
  • We never used our RnP, so I sold it. Our Snug-a-bunny swing however, is out and will be used again. My daughter lived in it, and hopefully this one likes it too. I got it off craigslist for 15$, so I couldn't pass it up. 

I think the Mamaroo is a cool concept, but I wouldn't pay retail for it. 

image image
    imageimage
  • I would put a swing and Mamaroo in the same category -- you don't need both.  The RNP goes in a separate category altogether -- super lightweight and easy to move around, great place for baby to sleep at home or while traveling.  If it's in the budget I would get either a Mamaroo or a swing AND a RNP.  I actually got rid of my big bulky battery-eating swing and replaced it with a Mamaroo and will be reusing my RNP that I bought a few years ago.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We bought a Mamaroo.  They just revamped the lineup, so we were able to get a decent price a few weeks back (on sale at BRU, plus 20% items in that category).  I have no clue if it will work for our baby, but we picked it out in large part because it takes up less floor space than traditional swings.  
  • mandi195 said:

Skrittens said:

I am a FTM, so have no clue what babies like - but I did buy the Mamaroo. I think it's pretty portable - at least around the house. I plan to put it on a table in the bathroom when I shower or move it to the kitchen table when I'm cooking or put it upstairs in the office on the floor if I am working from home.

I also registered for the RNP and a FP swing - to buy with the completion coupon - and from what I have heard I will probably buy the RNP but not the swing - unless the Mamaroo ends up being a PITA to take up and down stairs.

Do not put swings, bouncers, Mamaroos, etc on a table... seriously, it's a safety issue... it could fall. I know that sounds paranoid, but it can easily happen. There is no reason you can't put it on the floor while you shower or cook. 

Thank you so much!!!! I had no idea. Which is pretty stupid of me. I will always keep it on the floor. Now the Momaroo is a very strange machine to me - it is so small and low to the ground - it must be a pain to have to bend down to get the baby in and out of it...
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Skrittens said:
    Skrittens said:
    I am a FTM, so have no clue what babies like - but I did buy the Mamaroo. I think it's pretty portable - at least around the house. I plan to put it on a table in the bathroom when I shower or move it to the kitchen table when I'm cooking or put it upstairs in the office on the floor if I am working from home. I also registered for the RNP and a FP swing - to buy with the completion coupon - and from what I have heard I will probably buy the RNP but not the swing - unless the Mamaroo ends up being a PITA to take up and down stairs.
    Do not put swings, bouncers, Mamaroos, etc on a table... seriously, it's a safety issue... it could fall. I know that sounds paranoid, but it can easily happen. There is no reason you can't put it on the floor while you shower or cook. 
    Thank you so much!!!! I had no idea. Which is pretty stupid of me. I will always keep it on the floor. Now the Momaroo is a very strange machine to me - it is so small and low to the ground - it must be a pain to have to bend down to get the baby in and out of it...
    Yes, DO NOT PUT IT ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE GROUND!! They start to move and fidget pretty early. I remember my daughter at 2-3 months old tipping over her RnP while she was in it. 

image image
    imageimage
  • We're getting a Mamaroo and just saving the receipt and box in case he doesn't like it. However a lot of swings we saw were in the $160 ish range and the Mamaroo wasn't that much higher. We like the less floor space so hopefully he likes it. I know we could buy these things used, but I prefer to just buy new for the first kid and hand down to subsequent children.
  • cafecreme said:

Skrittens said:

mandi195 said:

Skrittens said:

I am a FTM, so have no clue what babies like - but I did buy the Mamaroo. I think it's pretty portable - at least around the house. I plan to put it on a table in the bathroom when I shower or move it to the kitchen table when I'm cooking or put it upstairs in the office on the floor if I am working from home.

Yes, DO NOT PUT IT ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE GROUND!! They start to move and fidget pretty early. I remember my daughter at 2-3 months old tipping over her RnP while she was in it. 

OMG - had no idea this was something I needed to think about --
    so at that point did you have to stop using RnP??

OP: if you get mamaroo & baby hates it, you can resell on CL easily!
  • Skrittens said:

mandi195 said:

Skrittens said:

Happy to help. I had a friend years back who put her son on the table in his bouncer chair, he fell and had some serious injuries, so I'm super paranoid about putting baby things amywhere but the ground.
  • We got a mamaroo. If he doesn't like it, they have great resale value. But I've heard only good things about it.
  • My first baby loved his mamaroo we just recently put it away, he is 18 months hope the new baby loves it too. We don't have bouncers or swings.
  • We got the new Fisher-Price 4-in-1 rock ‘n glide soother, its like a cross between a mamaroo, a swing, and a rock n' play. I liked it because of its versatility.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/39577505?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227030327981&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=51487349552&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=105949621952&veh=sem

Me: 31 DH: 28
    BFP #1- 1/30/13  Natural MC- 2/8/13
    BFP #2- 6/24/14  EDD- 3/7/15  Born 2/14/15 Due to Pre-eclampsia

Team Green turned Team Blue

• @CityChic414‌ I was just about to ask about that one. Looks like a less expensive version of the mamaroo. Have you tried it out yet? I added to my registry instead of a swing or mamaroo - it seemed like the best of both worlds. I received a FP Rainforest bouncer at my first shower and a hand me down RNP that my sister loved using. Several friends swear by their swing so I'm hoping this is a good compromise.
  • I'm a FTM, so I really had no idea.  We registered for the Mamaroo, but I was kind of uncomfortable registering for things that high in the price range.  Of course, we "registered" for our crib and other high price things we have bought ourselves at BRU because of the rewards.  I also don't really like the looks of it.  DH thinks it looks awesome and amazing, but I'm not totally sold on it.  

A friend of mine is lending me her RNP, which we plan on using as a bassinet.  She swears by it and says it's great.  We shall see!
    Me:  28  DH:  33
    Married:  10/04/2014
    DD1:  03/02/15
    DD2:  08/04/16
    Baby 3 Due:  11/23/18!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had great luck with the RNP with our first. I have that and a friend has lent me her swing that has a detachable seat. I like the mamaroos, but can't justify the expense at this point!
    Married July 17, 2009
    Parker Ellwood born May 11, 2012
    Baby #2 Due March 9, 2015

• I have not used the Fisher-Price 4-in-1 rock ‘n glide soother yet. I did watch a video on youtube that featured it in a kids EXPO for 2015. I liked it what it showed. It is a new product for 2015 so its hard to find reviews on it.

Me: 31 DH: 28
    BFP #1- 1/30/13  Natural MC- 2/8/13
    BFP #2- 6/24/14  EDD- 3/7/15  Born 2/14/15 Due to Pre-eclampsia

Team Green turned Team Blue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"