March 2015 Moms

Dental problems in pregnancy

BiscottoBiscotto member
edited January 2015 in March 2015 Moms
I have a cavity and it has caused a part of my tooth to fall out. The tooth doesn't hurt unless I eat certain foods, but then the pain is unreal. I went to my dentist in the US in October and he saw the cavity then but didn't want to work on it until after the pregnancy. It wasn't hurting me then so he said it wasn't urgent. The part of my tooth felt out while I was in Italy with FI this Christmas. We went to a dentist there and he refused to do any work while I'm pregnant. Has anyone here had dental work done while pregnant? I've read that not doing dental work during pregnancy is an older thinking and there's research now that shows that having cavities can be more harmful to the fetus than having the work done. I'm debating going to a dentist here (switzerland).

Re: Dental problems in pregnancy

• My sister had a full-on root canal while pregnant. I believe the only extra precaution was preemptive antibiotics that would normally only be prescribed in an active infection. They can also use a dental dam during the procedure to make sure you don't ingest anything potentially harmful. I can't see where else there would be a risk, but I'm not a doctor. I'm sorry you're in pain though and I would certainly see another dentist if you can!

Married the most patient man on the planet:  May 16, 2009
    Me:  30; DH:  30

BFP:  June 25, 2014; EDD:  March 9/10, 2015
    4 fur babies:  2 dogs & 2 cats

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

• I'm sorry, I don't have any advice. But I wanted to send you lots of ((Hugs)), Biscotto. It sounds like it would definitely be worth visiting a dentist there. And sooner, the better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes dental work can be done if needed. My OB included it on a list if things we can do while KU, but they will write instructions to the dentist telling then what pain meds they can use, etc. unfortunately I don't think you can get any good stuff like nitrous, but numbing shots to the gums are allowed.

Talk to your OB and get them to write a letter for the dentist
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I had a root canal at 16 weeks. I had to have OB approve the work before they would actually start the work but it was agreed the risk of infection was worse than anything involved with the root canal or crown. They just limit the x-rays and cover your stomach with two covers. They also give you different less effective numbing agents so it might involve more shots than normal.
  • I would talk to your OB and have them contact your dentist if need be. I had a similar situation with a cracked tooth. I ended up having my tooth pulled though as it was my back tooth and I was battling my insurance on coverage. I feel much better now having had the work done!! And my OB approved everything before it was done so I felt very safe for myself and baby.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll ask my OB here. I don't think its a good idea to wait 2 months or more.
  • I don't have any cavity issues, but one of my crowns 'failed' (the tooth fragment under it basically has disintegrated and left the crown with nothing to be cemented to). They keep temporarily cementing it when it comes off (twice now, once while in Ireland over Christmas). They won't do anything else til after baby is out.

They may have a temporary solution for you? Maybe call around and see what your options are?
  • I agree with what everyone has already said, pregnancy can be bad on our teeth, I had dental work done with both of my first 2 pregnancies, the last being a wisdom tooth being pulled, they just can give you the numbing medicine with epinephrine, so far so good with this pregnancy! I would definetly talk with your OB and see what they say, that doesn't sound comfortable and to wait 2 months can make things a lot worse.
  • allachkatallachkat member
    edited January 2015
    I had a chipped filling and got it fixed while pregnant. My dentist said it was best not to wait because it could become worse. The only thing she said was that she waits until the 2nd tri to do any dental work on pregnant women.
  • I had a root canal while pregnant two years ago, and another one when I was about 8 weeks this time around. The only thing they wouldn't do is remove my wisdom teeth, which decided to come in while I was pregnant. All four broke through the skin and it was very painful for months. They would only prescribe painkillers. But yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't take care of you now.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @katydid2014‌ why did you pass on the gas? I'm just curious.

My SIL's (in Ireland and England) we're both offered and used gas during delivery. Which seemed strange but cool to me (I love getting the gas at the dentist).
  • Biscotto said:

I have a cavity and it has caused a part of my tooth to fall out. The tooth doesn't hurt unless I eat certain foods, but then the pain is unreal. I went to my dentist in the US in October and he saw the cavity then but didn't want to work on it until after the pregnancy. It wasn't hurting me then so he said it wasn't urgent. The part of my tooth felt out while I was in Italy with FI this Christmas. We went to a dentist there and he refused to do any work while I'm pregnant.

Has anyone here had dental work done while pregnant? I've read that not doing dental work during pregnancy is an older thinking and there's research now that shows that having cavities can be more harmful to the fetus than having the work done. I'm debating going to a dentist here (switzerland).

I totally understand how painful tooth problems can be lol I think I've had more now that I'm pregnant than ever before! I also had a huge cavity in my tooth that had to be filled they just told me to wait until I was 20 weeks, and they also got clearance from my obgyn before they were able to do anything. While your pregnant they can't give you the same numbing agent as they normally would, they give you a weaker one- they also can't give you any pain meds or gas. But despite that I still had the cavity filled and a root canal done just recently. The only thing they wouldn't do is pull my wisdom tooth because of how deep it is.
  • @colleen4019 I just wanted to take as little medicine as possible.  I didn't feel overly anxious or nervous about the surgery and it was going to be a short procedure.  I didn't know it would even be an option so when she offered I made a split decision to skip it.  I only took the prescription pain meds for about 2 days after and then switched to plain tylenol because I didn't like the way they made me feel.  And the tylenol ended up working better surprisingly. 

I agree on the perscription pain meds. I don't like them either. I just genuinely didn't know about the gas. I wonder if there is any research.
  • I had a cavity when I was pregnant with DS and had one this time too.  I got both of them filled while pregnant.  I had the work done in the second trimester.  My midwife had to fax a letter to my dentist giving him permission to perform the fillings, but that was all they needed.  They won't put epinephrine in the anesthetic and won't use any laughing gas.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• BiscottoBiscotto member
    edited January 2015
    Wow, reading how all you have got work makes me questions the dentists I saw. In general, Italians are a little backwards in their thinking about pregnancy..but I'm surprised my dentist in the US didn't fix the problem. Maybe because I don't have an OB in the US.
  • When we decided to TTC I got a ton of pre-emptive dental work done, two crowns and a filling. One of the crowns wasn't fitted as well and there was about a month during second tri where the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep or eat. Tooth pain on top of being pregnant is no joke. I would definitely speak with your OB, especially since we're getting closer to the end of our pregnancies. I'd think some things would be more permissible now.
  • I just had an old filling fall out last week, and got it filled again the next day. 
    I called my OB, who ok'd a single xray of the teeth (with a double lead barrier over my belly), and for the work to be done. It is far better to get it fixed now than to expose your baby to the possible bacterial issues you could face if it is left untreated.

• I'm having three fillings replaced in the next two weeks. I've been going for extra cleanings while I'm pregnant and they discovered issues with some of my current fillings. Neither my ob nor my dentist had any concern about doing it.
  • I had two root canals which failed and had them redone all during my pregnancy with DD. The worst part was just not being able to take ibuprofen afterwards.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Um... I had a cavity filed, and it was not a big deal. OB said to wait til 2nd tri, dentist just did the work. There were no doctors notes, and it didn't seem like out was out of norm to anyone. Very routine.
  • I had root canal work done in my first pregnancy at about 30 weeks. I'm lucky I have a very good dentist. I was in massive amount of pain. Hadn't slept for almost 3 days. Couldn't eat was so painful. He was lovely. Only thing was He wasn't able to X-ray so did much by instinct. Was very gentle. I've since been back for check up this time round. Have an old Mercury filling that needs replacing which he says he will leave till after baby is born unless I'm in any pain in which case to go back and he'll look at the options. Sometimes it's just about finding the right medic I think. Good luck. Hope you get sorted.
  • I work in a dental office and by all means you have work done when you are pregnant. We typically wait until you are out of your first 12weeks. Double shield when taking X-rays. Provide the care that is needed be it extraction, root-canals, or fillings. Elective cosmetic work is generally postponed.

Get a letter from your doctor clearing you for dental treatment and you are good to go. In all my years, I have only had one OB who did not want a patient to have work done. All pregnancies are different. But you should not gave to live in pain when there are dentist that can help you.
  • I am in an ongoing process of many fillings and have also had one particularly nasty extraction of a molar during this pregnancy. Precautions are taken, and the work was done without incident. The bacteria from tooth decay has been accused of being a potential cause/contributing factor of preterm labor. I am not a doctor, or a dentist, obviously... But I would highly recommend talking to your OB and trying to find a solution that your doctor feels is appropriate, especially if the pain is interfering with your life, which it sounds like.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had to have a cavity refilled in November. My OB's office said to make sure they numb me without epinephrine. They can numb you without it but it won't last as long or be as strong. I wanted to do it without being numbed at all, but they had to since they had to clean the old filling out first. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"