Parenting
Options

Flowers in the Attic Book Club Week 3 Chapter 11-16

Omg so much happened!!!!! I was in tears by the end of this section. I felt so much rage at both Corrine and the grandmother. I remember reading the story when I was younger but there is so much that I forgot. It's all so heart breakbreaking. The way Corrine just shrugs off her children is beyond disgusting.

Do we still want to read The Night Circus next? I'm down for it if that's what everyone wants. I keep hearing how good it is and a change of pace after this would be appreciated. Just let me know and if I need to I can take more suggestions and make another poll.

Re: Flowers in the Attic Book Club Week 3 Chapter 11-16

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Why not Petals on the Wind so we can follow the next segment of what happens with the Dollanganger kids?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I already read Petals in the Wind and 1/2 of the 3rd book. 

What is Night Circus about...Please I don't remember. TY! 

About this book.....Just F Corrine by now. I hate her guts. Its amazing what a few chapters did to change my tune about her. 

I read on an eBook type thing too so I don't know what the end of chapter 16 is, If someone can refresh my memory so I can further comment that would be great. I am sure I have all the feels and something to say. At work right now or I would check for myself. Thanks. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It starts with Christopher's telling what happened when he went exploring, but I don't have my kindle in front of me to know how far. Or maybe that's where it ended?
    Thanks! I think that might be the start of 11 but I can't remember for the life of me, Maybe someone else who has more info will come along :) 
  • Options
    The Night Circus

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called "Le Cirque des Reves," and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway--a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love - a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per-formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

• Options
    The Night Circus

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called "Le Cirque des Reves," and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway--a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love - a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per-formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

I just got a hard on for this book, we must read it next! I am going to reserve it at my library tomorrow! 
  • Options
    Chapter 11 begins with Christopher telling Cathy what he saw when he went exploring after the Christmas party. Chapter 16 ends with Cory befriending the mouse. In between was the tar in Cathy's hair, Christopher's whipping, and Corrine disappearing for months. Cathy's hair was beyond horrible.
  • Options
    Chapter 11 begins with Christopher telling Cathy what he saw when he went exploring after the Christmas party. Chapter 16 ends with Cory befriending the mouse. In between was the tar in Cathy's hair, Christopher's whipping, and Corrine disappearing for months. Cathy's hair was beyond horrible.
    Thank You! 

So about the hair, it was horrible I agree. It was so sweet of Christopher to try and save it. That grandmother is just to much for me. 

When Corrine left for all of that time, It made me SO mad. Then to just come waltzing in like she did. F off lady. 

She didn't even seem to care what had happened to her children while she was away and she assumed her mother would take care of them....What a joke. 

This is where in the book I was just begging for each page I would turn for them to climb out the window with the twins and run away. Back in the era people would have put Christopher to work without blinking an eye. They could have just made a little family for themselves and left that horrid place. If only they had known. 
  • Options
    CeeBug said:

My hope for them to escape intensified when Christopher and Cathy left that night to go to the lake. I kept yelling in my head, "You proved that you can get out of the house! Leave! Take the twins and run far way!"
    I know that it is not that simple, but I just want them to get out. The psychological prison can sometimes be more binding than a physical one.

Same! I was like you got out....get in grab them and RUN!
  • Options
    Bonzo2011 said:
    My hope for them to escape intensified when Christopher and Cathy left that night to go to the lake. I kept yelling in my head, "You proved that you can get out of the house! Leave! Take the twins and run far way!"
    I know that it is not that simple, but I just want them to get out. The psychological prison can sometimes be more binding than a physical one.
    Same! I was like you got out....get in grab them and RUN!

Yes, this is what I was thinking too. It made me so upset that they still had faith in their mother at this point.
    Same! I think it was Christopher more than Cathy at this point though. 
  • Options
    During all of these chapters I felt anxious and just wanted them to run. It's funny, I read this as a young teenager and remember the grandmother being so horrible but not Corrine. I've wholeheartedly changed my mind. Both are so awful, but Corrine is worse.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    CeeBug said:

I had a dream last night that they escaped. The grandfather came in (who was looking very healthy, btw) and cut their sheet rope. Then a flood came and they all grabbed a floating log. The grandfather died, but the kids survived.

LMK if this is how it really ends. :-O

This is totally not how it ends.....Sorry!
  • Options
    Ladies, GP deactivated and I am so sad about that but now what do we do about book club? 

Do you all want to keep going and someone else should take over or ?? 
  • Options
    Ugh to this mess, I finally find a book club and now.... Who's running this joint? The Grandmother?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kam3100 said:

Ugh to this mess, I finally find a book club and now.... Who's running this joint? The Grandmother?

Fuck I think it might be her!!!! This is horrible. Are you all going to the new board? We can continue there.
  • Options
    Yeah I think I'm going to. I was truly loving this forum.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kam3100 said:

Yeah I think I'm going to. I was truly loving this forum.

I made a new thread at pro boards for our book club. I kept the same SN there as here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"