Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When to start taking baby out

My twins are a little over four weeks, and I have been staying at home since we came home from hospital except to go to their dr appt as well we visited my parents once. I am a little nervous about taking them out in our cold canadian winter but as well scared of flu season. When did you feel comfortable taking your baby out, like to the mall or grocery store?? My sister in law was taking her girl out everywhere from like a week old.

Re: When to start taking baby out

• How premature were your babies?  I ask this because while it is flu season you almost must be concerned with RSV.  My boys were born in November ( at 34w3d) came home 17 days later.  We followed our Drs suggestion that we avoid public places with them until RSV season was over.  Which was March 1st here.  So yes my kids stayed at home, except Drs visits, until March 1st.  I didn't stay home- I got out and we had visitors.... but having 2 infants to take places is WAY different from one.  And if you have one sick you deal, but two sick at the same time, well lets say that it is stressful.
  • My twins were born at 36w+2 days, we left the hospital a few days after, we have close friends and family visting . I hate staying at home but I am just scared if they get sick :$
  • Loading the player...
  • Not to intrude on OP's post. But what are your thoughts on taking LO to church? Room with 200-300 people close by? Should I wait a few weeks or is this just another keep him covered up situation?
  • We've taken the twins out since I felt like leaving the house which was around 1 week old in early Dec (in Canada). First was small trips to the grocery store, then a couple of parties around Christmas.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I read it's almost better to take them out to the store then to family gatherings where they are passed around! That being said taking two newborns out in the cold sounds exhausting and freezing! Do you have someone who can give you a break?
  • Thanks for ur respones! I will attempt a trip out early this weekend with my husband. And will keep the
    in their car seats bundled. I wish it was nice warm weather I would take them for walks to get fresh air!! Hopefully the weather ease up.
  • I took my daughter out to the supermarket, and babies r us at just 5 days old. I worried about the cold and I made sure I bundled her up, and I kept her covered so if someone did cough, it couldn't land on her. I think your fine to take them out as long as you bundle them up and keep them covered. I work in a daycare and I feel the more they are exposed to the stronger their immune system and the less likely they will get sick later.

• Most Pediatrcians will tell you to not have babies out in large public places (malls, grocery stores etc) etc until after 2 month shots - that is actually common practice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most Pediatrcians will tell you to not have babies out in large public places (malls, grocery stores etc) etc until after 2 month shots - that is actually common practice.

We went out at 2 weeks old, but we don't live in a cold place. If anything just for essentials.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• The safest thing is to wait until after the two month shots before heading out into to big public places. The reasoning for this is that newborns have no innate immunity and are relying on passive maternal immunity for protection. As maternal immunity fades they are very susceptible to any infection and can get seriously ill very fast. A fever over 100.3 in a unvaccinated baby less than 8 weeks is considered a medical emergency and will almost always result in a trip to the ER with hospital admission for antibiotics because of the risk for serious infections like meningitis but even a simple cold can wipe a newborn out.

That being said, the choice is totally up to you. If the baby is covered and you wipe everything down and wash hands that should minimize risk. I am also getting a little stir crazy stuck inside with the cold and snow and keep my sanity by going to weekly BF support groups and having family members watch the baby while I go out for a few hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"