Stay at Home Moms
Options

Expired car seat

So....I can't use an expired car seat, right? Our Keyfit 30 expired in May. I just feel like I don't want to risk it. Technically, it is not illegal and is a "recommendation." DH says it is surely still FINE as it hasn't even been used that much and was mostly stored in decent temperatures and thinks I am crazy for wanting to get a new seat. We live in Wisconsin so it's not like it was sitting in hot Florida sun or anything. WWYD?

I am maybe going to buy the new one today if that's the plan. So part two. We know we are having a girl and this is 99.8% our last baby. Do I get a cute girl one, or stick with neutral in the hopes of passing it on to my brother in a year or two when they start to have kids? 
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Expired car seat

• Options
    I would get a new one just to be safe. And I'd get a super girly one in your situation. If you decide to pass on the car seat the new owners could always just purchase a new cover.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Car seat are expensive and it's annoying to always be buying new. But it really is life and death. I would probably get a gender neutral one but I prefer those colors anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • Options
    Get a new one.  Even if this baby is a girl, we are going with navy car seat.  I navy and pink together so I figure it will look good with all of the other pink junk we'll have around.  Our Chicco seat expired so we're waiting for the "Great Trade In" even babies r us has to get the 25% off. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    edited January 2015

The cold is actually worse for it than the heat - just saying... 

For the $130 get a new one..  Use this one for the BRU Turn-in event for the 25% discount...  IMO - by the time they're expired, usually the padding and such is pretty worn out and the release buttons don't work like they're suppose to, etc.  Plus, the technology has changed quite a bit in seats are lighter and have more bells & whistles now.  I know some stores have clearance events starting up for seats so that's another way to save some money. 

P.S.  Sure as heck get the girly-girl one!!!!  Your brother can purchase his own seat for his kids when the time comes.  Car Seats are one of the few things that should be purchased new and not a hand-me-down unless it's something like sharing with a family member (only) a non-expired seat to go in Grandma's car where they're only in it occasionally and can't afford the extra seat. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We were in the same position and just went head and got a new one.  Not worth it to me.
  • Options
    Also from WI and in November when we had that cold snap my britax marathon broke. The prong on the chest clip snapped off as I was unbuckling it. The seat wasn't due to expire until March. So, yes definitely get a new one. If that snap would have broke in an accident Kate very easily could have slipped out her seat.
  • Options
    No, you cannot use an expired car seat. How would you live with yourself if you were in an accident and the car seat failed?
    You don't HAVE to use an infant carrier- why not just go straight to a convertible car seat, thus saving yourself some money and the decision whether to get a girlie design or not.
  • Options
    Ditto the above. Get a new one. I also agree that I'd skip the infant and go for a convertible.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I know, SteelerFan, that's what I told DH. 

I love having an infant seat in this weather/climate, so we'll get another one. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    edited January 2015
    In this climate it's not practical to not have the infant seat for this age in winter...  Especially since you aren't suppose to have a bundle me/jacket/snow suit under a seatbelt!  It's hard enough with a toddler to be bundled up when the wind chills are as cold as they are, I can't imagine running with an infant in these temps!
  • Options
    Get a new one, hands down.

We have the Chicco Keyfit30 and love it. We are currently looking to transition to a convertable and are thinking about the Maxi Cosi Pris 70 which is also an infant seat. It comes in super fun gender neutral colors and patterns. I'd get a neutral color since you never know what the future will hold. I'd be the one to buy hot pink and then get pregnant again.
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

In this climate it's not practical to not have the infant seat for this age in winter...  Especially since you aren't suppose to have a bundle me/jacket/snow suit under a seatbelt!  It's hard enough with a toddler to be bundled up when the wind chills are as cold as they are, I can't imagine running with an infant in these temps!

I had winter babies and never used snow suits under car seats but found it a million times easier to keep an infant warm in an infant car seat vs a convertible seat. It's worth every penny of that $80-120 on that seat to be able to do errands with a sleeping baby wrapped up in blankets instead of waking to put in a carrier.
  • Options
    I had winter babies and never used snow suits under car seats but found it a million times easier to keep an infant warm in an infant car seat vs a convertible seat. It's worth every penny of that $80-120 on that seat to be able to do errands with a sleeping baby wrapped up in blankets instead of waking to put in a carrier.
    I loved the fact that I could set them down and they'd stay there!  I never once complained that the infant seat was too heavy for that very reason!  LOL  And yes, keeping them warm is so much easier in the infant seat!!! 
  • Options
    Babywearing eliminates the issue of keeping them warm when taken out of the seat. Just a little PSA.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am a child passenger safety technician. Even if it isn't illegal, it is definitely unsafe. There are plenty of legal things that are still foolish and dangerous. And, it actually may be illegal depending on what state you live in so yes, you need to replace it.

A carseat is something you need to know is going to work when you need it to work. Plastic degrades and fibers weaken. The expiration date is there for a reason. Remove the cover, cut the straps, write "expired," "dangerous," etc. on it, put it in a black garbage back and get rid of it.

As far as color, my son rode in his sister's pink seat for awhile ;) Pick what you want. Here's a good place to start when selecting a seat.

https://csftl.org/recommended-seats/#rfo
    I agree with everyone above. My KeyFIt30 Expires in June and I gave it to a friend to use to at least use it up before it's too late. I replaced the straps for her and it's good to go. But I wanted to quote you because I'm going to PM you, I have a question about being a CSPT!!! =)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    I am a child passenger safety technician. Even if it isn't illegal, it is definitely unsafe. There are plenty of legal things that are still foolish and dangerous. And, it actually may be illegal depending on what state you live in so yes, you need to replace it.

A carseat is something you need to know is going to work when you need it to work. Plastic degrades and fibers weaken. The expiration date is there for a reason. Remove the cover, cut the straps, write "expired," "dangerous," etc. on it, put it in a black garbage back and get rid of it.

As far as color, my son rode in his sister's pink seat for awhile ;) Pick what you want. Here's a good place to start when selecting a seat.

https://csftl.org/recommended-seats/#rfo
    I agree with everyone above. My KeyFIt30 Expires in June and I gave it to a friend to use to at least use it up before it's too late. I replaced the straps for her and it's good to go. But I wanted to quote you because I'm going to PM you, I have a question about being a CSPT!!! =)
    YGPM :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"