July 2015 Moms
Options

Other cat owners

I know you all have been told not to clean the litter box. I have developed an overwhelming fear that I will get taxoplasmosis while pregnant. Let me say I do suffer from anxiety/ OCD. I know other threads exist on this and I have researched to the extreme. I was just hoping from some advice/ support from you July moms with cats. Here is where I get scared- my cats indoor and my husband does litter and then washed his hands ( I even add him full on shower after the other day

Re: Other cat owners

• Options
    No cats here, so I haven't researched it at all. But I hope you can relax! Maybe disposable rubber gloves he could wear would be comforting to you rather than just soap and water?

June 2012 Mom (2.5 yr old boy), July 2015 Mom (team green), Babywearing newbie/enthusiast
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Sorry my post got cut off... But basically I get nervous if he pets the cat and cooks food, or that the cat walks on the furniture. Thanh you pp for your post. I'm an anxious reck.... I appreciate the support.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was super nervous about this as well. Apparently indoor cats have like no chance of getting toxoplasmosis but again I was still nervous. DH is cleaning his litter box and washing his hands but I also have anxiety and am a hypochondriac so I actually got my blood tested for it at my last appointment and they said they'd call with bad results and they haven't so that's good! Maybe you should get your blood tested as well! I might get it done again later on cause I'm that crazy ;)
  • Options
    You should read more about the life cycle of toxoplasmosis to ease your fears. As long as the litter box is changed/scooped a minimum of every 24 hours there is no risk.
  • Options
    The likelihood of an indoor cat having toxo is super low. I think you can have a stool sample tested at the vet though - if kitty is negative you can get some peace of mind, and if positive you can be justified in making hubby shower :)

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    You can take your cat in to your vet and they'll test for toxo. You can also get tested to see if you have immunity. Like someone else here said, indoor cats don't have it usually
  • Options
    jlucaljlucal member
    edited January 2015
    What PPs said.  The chance of your cats having it is low.  I was told by my doctor that if I have always had cats, there is a chance that I may have a resistance (I can't remember the exact word she used, but that's close enough) to it.  But to be safe, I have been tested. There is no reason to freak out .  Keep on loving those fur babies, I know I am :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH cleans the litter box but fur child sleeps with me under the blankets at night. Even though she is mostly an indoor cat(we take her out on a least once a week or so) she gets monthly baths. I'd also suggest changing your litter to something less dusty to make you feel better :)
  • Options
    I have 5 indoor cats but all are rescues and were outside at some point. My husband has been great about cleaning the litterbox. My doctor told me to avoid the litterbox. However, he said that unless I am eating poop I'm fine. If you have to clean the litterbox wear gloves and wash your hands especially well so that the potential bacteria will not be transferred while eating something finger lickin good.
  • Options
    Thanks all! Yes kristhegirl it is a trigger for sure. I see a therapist for my anxiety. I used to be on meds but have been off for a year. Wanted to be off when pregnant. Husband does it, though I ask he is not on it every 24 hours. He thinks I'm a little over the top, which I am. I was thinking of asking for a test or getting the cat tested. I have had my cat for 7 years. Thank you all for being so kind. I think I have just found a fear and can't shake it. My poor cat, can tell I'm not the same around her.
  • Options
    Those of you who were tested- are you in the US? My doc never even mentioned it. I will ask on my next appointment.
  • Options
    I honestly don't even think about it. I change the litter, always have. I have gloves and an N95 respirator mask (seriously overdoing it, but that was the only kind they had at DH's base and he thinks its necessary) and wash my hands in the sink right next to the litter box after. My two cats are indoor cats, we occasionally let the older cat outside for 'supervised outside time' where he gets 4mins (because he's 4yrs) to wander the yard, if he tries to take off outdoor time is cut short, younger cat can't be trusted and she's too fast. I never even think of the risks, I've had indoor cats most of my life and cleaning the litter box is just everyday life, I didn't think to stop when I got pregnant.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have two cats that are strictly indoors and a full bread bobcat that is stictly outdoors among with some wild farm cats that I can't even get near. I'm pretty surebi read that the cats get it from eating mice and other outdoor rodents. So o think that if the kitties don't go outside and u don't have mice I'm the house u should be fine. I don't mess with that bobcat if I don't have to cause she just can't keep her paws off me. I bottle fed her for three months as a kitten so I'm mommy to her but she likes to play rough and she's a big kitty so I let my dh do the feeding and other stuff. I visit her but leave the fence between us and wash right after. That being said my indoor kitties are my babies and are always on top of me I see no risk with them. My dh changes the boxes for me just in case.
  • Options
    Try and calm down (easier said than done). My kitty has been inside with me for 8 years, and even sleeps in my bed every night. This is my second pregnancy, and everything is going swimmingly again!
    I still make DH clean the litter box, but it has nothing to do with any fears. ;)

• Options
    Take a deep breath there is nothing to worry about especially if your cats indoor only. If you've had a cat for a while chances are you've had toxoplasmosis already (symptoms are like a cold) and won't get it again. I was perfectly fine with my first.. Even cleaned it out occasionally and I do clean once and a while this time. Just keep the area ventilated and make sure dh washes had and you will be fine. Much more likely things to worry about than this, trust me!
  • Options
    Toxoplasmosis comes from rodents and so only outdoor cats that have eaten rodents carry it. So indoor cats are most likely do not have it. That being said, it is good to take precautions but if you are not cleaning the box, you need not worry about it at all. You can get toxoplasmosis more likely from digging in your garden without gloves. I say love your kitty up and don't worry because there chances are very small that you would get infected. Like the other girls said, you might already be immune if you have had cats for a long time. If you are really concerned, you can take the extra precaution of washing your hands before you eat if you have been petting kitty.
  • Options
    My cats sleep on me at night. I've changed the litter box while pregnant -- DH was gone and I couldn't handle the smell. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
    BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a cat and my DH takes care of the cat box I just have to tell him it needs clean causes he forgets so I'm not to worry about the cat box makeing me or my baby sick
  • Options
    I also have an indoor cat. My DH cleans the litter box. Toxo is a disease that thrives in a cats stomach...And most likely you are immune (if your cat does carry it, and if you have had the cat for awhile). I'm sorry this is causing you extra anxiety. Just remember to use precautions such as hand washing. Also my DH insists I not be in the same area while he cleans the box. I know it's hard especially with anxiety but try not to stress too much. I hope you can find some relief regarding this issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"