September 2015 Moms

help! used oregano oil.

I have used oregano oil for a few months topically to ward off colds and illness. I mixed 2 drops with coconut oil tonight and rubbed it on my feet. Right after, I read that it is strongly discouraged during pregnancy, specifically the first trimester as it can cause miscarriage. Has anyone used it? Do I need to be as freaked out as I am? Ugh. I'm so upset and nervous.

Re: help! used oregano oil.

• jmhartleyjmhartley member
    edited January 2015
    it's the oil from the oregano plant. you can ingest by mouth in capsules or put on your skin. I just mixed it with coconut oil and applied to my feet but all the sites are saying it can instigate menstration and cause bleeding or MC. just not sure with what amounts/doses. hoping it was too little to do any harm :-/
  • Don't freak!!! Just stop useing it and talk to your doc!! ... If it can cause miscarges don't you think it would be use as a home abortion remedy..
    You will be fine:-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your kind words. Sigh. So true. But one article did say in some countries it is used for MC attempts. So icky! Calling the doc asap just to make sure :-) xo
  • Unless you drank the bottle I think you're ok. WebMD says this:

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Oregano is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts during pregnancy. There is concern that oregano in amounts larger than food amounts might cause miscarriage. Not enough is known about the safety of oregano when used in medicinal amounts while nursing.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • I am fairly certain you have to ingest it for it to cause problems. That said, I probably wouldn't use it topically any more, now that you know, but I wouldn't worry about the one-time topical use causing issues.

There are a few guides to essential oil use while pregnant floating around the interwebs if you feel googly...
    TTC #1: May 2014

My Chart
  • thank you guys for the support and notes. really appreciate it - and you! :)
  • I think those warnings are only for when ingested. I like to use Myrrh and other essential oils in my aromatherapy diffuser. However, I did discontinue use until I get the okay from doc. I think you will be totally fine, but of course you should always ask your doctor :)
  • I'm with the ladies on here, I think you would have to digest large amounts for it to be an issue. You only put it on your feet in a small amount (I'm guessing), I think you'll be fine. Try not to get yourself too freaked out about it, although I know it's easier said then done.
  • I am a huge advocate of using essential oils and herbs, but would highly suggest seeing an herbalist to go over your current regime to avoid any further freak outs. Knowledge is power when it comes to this sort of thing. GL!
    "S15 January Siggy Challange - Happy Dance"
    Jimmy Fallon Dance

Married: 10/4/2013
    TTC Since September 2014
    BFP 11/30/2014 ~ EDD 8/13/2015 ~ CP 12/5/2014
    BFP #2 12/30/2014 ~ EDD 9/13/2015 Stick bean stick!
  • Thanks ladies! xo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"