Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

2nd Birthday Costs

My darling baby boy is going to be 2 years old in 3 months. *CRY* 

Nobody consulted me about allowing him to grow up. He's supposed to stay little forever. /sigh

Anyway, I've started looking at planning his birthday recently since last year was such a scramble. I want to be better prepared this year since he is more aware and more active / interested with friends. Daddy and I have decided on a dog theme as he is obsessed with everything dogs.

I've looked on pinterest and found a bajillion cute ideas I want to do. Most of them we can do with very minimal costs so that makes me double happy. I have the guest list roughed out with his little friends.

I have two questions:

1) What is the most you have ever spent on your young childs birthday?
2) Have you ever had to have a dilemma where because of space you can't invite all the kids that "should" be there? (his cousins who are 10 years older than him)  I'm thinking maybe I should do a family party and then a friends party separately? Thoughts?

Re: 2nd Birthday Costs

• I may differ than the norm. I tend to spend more on my kid's birthday parties b/c we don't buy a lot of toys/stuff throughout the year or for their birthdays or Christmas. I'd rather spend money on an experience than toys they toss to the side. I spent about $500 this year for DS's 2nd birthday. It was a rodeo/pony ride party at a really cute riding facility. I could have as many kids/people as I wanted and could bring whatever food/drink I wanted. The most I spent on DD's party was close to $650. It was an Alice in Wonderland tea party at this adorable English tea room. I knew it was going to be more per person b/c the kids were served a mini high tea, but it was her 5th birthday and DH and I saw it as one of those bigger milestone parties. She still talks about her Alice in Wonderland party, so I guess it was worth the money.
    imageimage
  • I've spent $500-600 on parties before, mainly because I'm not a bargain shopper and tend to get excited about parties. I will say, however, that the guest list is the most important part of the party. Every family is different, but you know who should and shouldn't be invited. I wouldn't leave important people out just to save a few dimes. (That being said, we always did small parties, because that's how we roll. I never thought of kids' birthday parties as invite everybody kind of events)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yikes I am cheap! I wouldn't so two separate parties for a 2 yo. They have no idea what's going on. 3 is the first birthday mine knew what was going on.

I think maybe $125 for the party not including gifts? That includes food, decorations, and activities. I'm not one for big parties with lots of people and big events when they are so little.
  • We just started discussing this.. we are having a "frozen" party at home with just family and our closest friends. My brother makes the cake, we had sandwich trays ($50 each) and some picky food. Both grandparents offered to bring something as well. We will have few balloons and there will be 5-10 kids so I will make a little favor. I would keep it under $400 if you can. Then are still so young!
  • Pinkie78 said:
    We are keeping it very low key until he cares enough to ask for an expensive party. A few friends at our house, pizza, cake, balloons.
    DS's bday is still a ways away, but out of all the responses, this is the one I see myself doing.  

I think you could do this, and also incorporate some sort of a theme via the decorations/party favors/music...I feel like thats a way to still have fun and get exited about it without going crazy with $$.  

I know there are going to be SO many years ahead where I'll need to go big or go home that I might as well not going over the top just yet...
    After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• Okay. Maybe I'm crazy or just live in a HCOL area but last year I think I spent 800 on his first birthday party. It was balloon themed and I had about 50 people here. We got a couple balloon artists, etc.

This year, since I'll have a 3 week old he's having a Mickey Mouse clubhouse party at the house. I'm only inviting close friends and their kids, and doing pizza, a hot dog bar and I'm having Mickey come to sing songs with the kids. My mom will come to help with the new baby but my brothers and dad aren't coming. 10 toddlers aren't their thing.

My brothers don't have kids so the next day (his real birthday) were at all going to my parents to have dinner/cupcakes so his uncles/grandpa can see him and we can celebrate. Don't know that id call it two full separate parties though.
  • It's 2 months til little man's birthday and I've pinned 1 idea for a cake with cars on it. I never tallied how much I spent on his first birthday but I made the cake and I'm gonna say under a hundred bucks for the food and our house was the venue. I love themes and stuff, but I'm also frugal and practical, so no big parties for us until he's old enough to remember them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"