April 2014 Moms

Good Reads

What have you been reading lately?  I need to get a bunch of audio books for this move, but I'd like some suggestions!  I'm open to pretty much any genre other than romance.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Good Reads

• I read that I really liked it! The bite at the end of the line was kind of similar (but not really. Idk why they reminded me of each other) and also good. I mostly read fantasy.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a sucker for some historical fiction, so some pretty good ones that I've read lately are The Yellow Crocus and The Orphan Train.  Neither was like, change your life good, but they were both entertaining and kept my attention.  Also, the Goldfinch was pretty long, so I'm not sure how good it would be in an audiobook, but I enjoyed it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry I am crazy not a girly girl so I'm reading No easy day! About the seal who "kill " Osama bin laden
  • A favorite trilogy of mine is The Magicians and Mrs. Quent. Its a cross between classics (like Pride & Prejudice or Jane Eyre) and fantasy. They are fun and have a few unexpected plot twists. I primarily read fantasy and right now I'm in the middle of a 7 book series called the Saga of Seven Suns, which is fantastic. 
    image    image

• The Dresden Files (series) rocks!
    Also The Beekeeper's Apprentice.
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Anything by Janet Evanovich.  She is hilarious and easy to read/listen to even when you are distracted, get interrupted and have to come back later, are sleep deprived, etc. 

• @rtv3 I love The Beekeeper's Apprentice! I've enjoyed all the books the that series.
    image    image

• rtv3 said:
    The Dresden Files (series) rocks! Also The Beekeeper's Apprentice.
    After reading all of the Dresden Files I am going back and listening to them all on my iPod.  They are sooo good. I got to meet Jim Butcher at Comic-con a few years ago and it was awesome. 

• Am I the only one who will admit I read totally trashy books??? Just read book 4 of The Crossfire series. I go back and forth on The Black Dagger Brotherhood series. The Blackstone Affair, The Rothvale Legacy....Non-trash, I love Janet Evanovich too.
  • I'm a sucker for some historical fiction, so some pretty good ones that I've read lately are The Yellow Crocus and The Orphan Train.  Neither was like, change your life good, but they were both entertaining and kept my attention.  Also, the Goldfinch was pretty long, so I'm not sure how good it would be in an audiobook, but I enjoyed it. 
    My faves are by Nancy E Turner. These is my words and the 2 follow ups are very good. Her new one my name is resolute is good too.
    These is My Words was a really good one.  I loved that book.  I didn't know she had follow ups... now they are on my list! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Me before you (although a love story) is so good. My fav in a long time!! Other really good ones are: room, the husbands secret, big little lies, after I do, and Eleanor and park. I also enjoyed the goldfinch but I agree it was very long. I thought the crossfire series was good but got sick of it after the 2nd book. Orphan train was also a goody. I really love to read lol. My kindle app on my phone is my fav!!
  • I was going to post The Dresden Files series as well, lol. Jim Butcher's other series, The Codex Alera, is awesome too!

Brent Weeks' Nightangel trilogy is good, and his Lightbringer trilogy is even better though unfinished just yet (so far as I know, working on 3rd book).

The Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies by Melanie Rawn aren't bad, though they kind of go into political drivel about the realm at times. Not as bad as ASoIaF books though. XD

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • If you like crime/mystery:

I just read the new Tana French book, The Secret Place, and enjoyed it.  I really liked In the Woods as well. 

Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes was also good (and sort of weird).

• rtv3 said:

The Dresden Files (series) rocks!
    Also The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

After reading all of the Dresden Files I am going back and listening to them all on my iPod.  They are sooo good. I got to meet Jim Butcher at Comic-con a few years ago and it was awesome. 

I'm so jealous! That is awesome :)
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• I'm reading "The Circle" right now. Very Orwellian

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • macgrs said:

@celticlullaby‌ I've never read any Gaiman, but I've been thinking of downloading one of his on my kindle. Any recommendations on what to start with? I like a pretty wide range of stuff, so I'm open to any suggestions.

If you want a good Neal Gaiman try American Gods. I really liked it :-) Anansi Boys is also good.
    image    image

• I really enjoyed:
    "A Hundred Summers" by Beatriz Williams; "Sea of Tranquility" by Katja Millay;
    "The Promise" by Ann Weisgarber;
    "Maude" by Donna Mabry; &
    "Take a Load Off, Mona Jamborski" by Joanna Franklin Bell
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Y'all are great!  I'm starting off with Codex Alera and the Grimnoir series, but I've got Gone Girl on my wait-list if I need to switch it up!

Can't believe we're leaving in less than a week!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • macgrs said:

@celticlullaby‌ I've never read any Gaiman, but I've been thinking of downloading one of his on my kindle. Any recommendations on what to start with? I like a pretty wide range of stuff, so I'm open to any suggestions.

American Gods is my favorite of his novels too, @rtv3‌! I also love Neverwhere, Stardust, and the newer one The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Everything has such a different feel - the Ocean one feels like a really beautiful, sweet myth, Stardust is like a fairy tale adventure, Neverwhere is a little absurd and fun and feels almost Douglas Adams-ish to me, American Gods is bit more of a mystery and gritty, like a darker myth, and Anansi Boys is like its lighter cousin.

But if you really want to get into Gaiman, Sandman is the way to go! The first 10 or so are all over the place and feel more like traditional comic books, and then he settles in, and it's such an amazing rich mythos he creates. I love them!

ETA - I just remembered the kindle part - I wonder if you can get sandman on kindle? I think you can download and read a lot of marvel comics for free, but Sandman was a DC label. Anything Gaiman is awesome - I'm a fangirl. :P
    I'm going to have to check out Neverwhere now, I love Douglas Adams!
    image    image

• @celticlullaby‌, Arthur Dent is hilarious. It's such a different perspective from the usual "Earthling to the rescue" sci-fi. Way more accurate too, I'd think, lol.
    image    image

• I have read and seen Gone Girl.  I would agree with @eme520 to read the book first.  Like always, there are pieces missing in the movie.   At first, I thought the book moved a bit slow but when it picked up, it picked up!   Definitely worth the read and then later watching the movie!  :)

I also love Lisa Scottoline, David Baldacci, John Grisham, and Lisa Gardener.  They are mystery/thriller writers.

• Where'd you go, Bernadette is good. It's a fun farce. Book club liked it a lot.

currently reading this, I loved Prep by curtis sittenfield I believe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"