March 2015 Moms

Sick momma to be

what are some of your home remedies or things you do to treat a terrible cold? I feel like I can't even move. I need something that can help because tylonal isn't cutting it. I'm also in my third trimester.

Re: Sick momma to be

• I'm sick as well. Have been all week. Started sunday with chills and fever. Fever was gone by Monday and now I have snotty nose that wo t stop and headache. Couldnt sleep a half hour straight thru the night last night. Ugh!!! Already this am I'm contracting. Nothing concerning at this point but I'm drinking a lot of water and relaxing today. This ain't my first rodeo... #6 for me. I just suck it up and deal with it. Hope ya feel better soon!
  • I have the worst cold right now, bad enough that I finally went in yesterday positive that I had the flu. I tested negative for both flu and strep, and don't have the signs of a sinus infection, so right now the diagnosis is just a BAD cold. The doctor actually gave me cough syrup and said that it would be better to take it for a few days than have the stress on my body without it. Have you been tested for flu and strep? If not, definitely rule those out!

Home remedy wise all I have is tea with lemon and honey.
  • Loading the player...
  • Neti pot? Steamy bath? Saline nasal spray?
  • Got me too ladies but mine is accompanied by a terrible cough that now feels like my ribs will snap at anytime. My doc put me on a z pack monday and today I am finally getting better. Hot water with lemon and honey helps, it's like a warm lemonade. Halls cough drops and menthalatum for my head congestion. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Ugh, it sounds like you're miserable :(. I agree with pp about the Neti pot and saline spray, if you're really congested. At least if you breathe a little better, you can usually rest a little better!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Saline nasal spray, I finally starting taking robetussin yesterday and it's starting to break everything up, feels great. Tea, soup, lots of fluids! A humidifier with the Vicks liquid next to my bed has made sleeping easier. Hope you feel better soon!

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Neti pot for sure! I always feel like it helps clean bacteria out and I feel better sooner than if I don't use it. Just make sure you don't use tap water for it, unless it's been boiled and then (obviously) cooled.

I also second the honey lemon and hot water/tea.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• I've been taking mucinex, since it's on my approved meds list. It's helped a lot with my cough. Vitamin D, echinacea, Brewers yeast, and tea have all helped me in the past. And sleep if you can. Someone at my work had an essential oil she put on the back of my neck and I swear it helped, but I don't knows what it was called or what was in it.
  • Garlic is a natural antibiotic. Chop it up raw in some food. Have extra vitamin c. Drink tea with lemon, ginger and honey.
  • I feel I get hit hardest by illnesses when I'm pregnant :-/ I've been dealing with a terrible cold for a week now. My head (left side from my temple to my jaw line) are in terrible pain. I think it's a sinus infection....drinking tea definitely helps temporarily. Hope we all feel better soon!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have been sick twice this pregnancy. I noticed that taking airborn or emergen-c helps shorten my cold. You could try those. All they are are vitimins so I figured they wouldn't hurt baby. But you could ask your dr. just in case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"