Trying to Get Pregnant

The greatest lesson I've learned...

AMMR84AMMR84 member
edited December 2014 in Trying to Get Pregnant
'Tis the season for introspection! In that spirit, please share the biggest lesson you've learned while TTC.

I'm a total newbie to this. In several months of research and 1 month of charting, my biggest lesson has been: The female body is one complex organism, y'all. I always considered myself a pretty savvy, empowered lady, but I knew nothing about CM, temp shifts or fertility windows. I felt like Charlotte in that SATC episode with the hand-mirror.

Thanks in advance for sharing your lessons learned! Happy New Year and good luck in 2015! 

:)

Edit: To clarify - this can be a lesson related to biology, emotions, relationships, etc, etc. 

Married since June 2011
TTC #1 since Dec 2014

Re: The greatest lesson I've learned...

• Loading the player...
  • Hobbies and distractions are important. I have to admit that I am very anxious and obsessive person by nature, and the TTC process consumes me many days. I read a lot, come on TB, stare at my FF chart, and work in the RE field. It is very hard for me to take a step back and quit worrying that this is still not happening for me, even though there are many TTC for much longer than I with greater complications. I find that getting back into exercise (running) and reading for pleasure not just work, is helping me a lot.

ETA added words

So important! I can already feel myself being sucked into the vortex of FF, TB, and secret pinterest-ing. Trying to be attentive without sliding off the deep end will be a challenge for me. Focusing on health and leisure are good distractions!

Married since June 2011
    TTC #1 since Dec 2014
  • I had no idea how scientific making a baby is. We have TTC for about 3 years, between 2 mc, cervical cancer lesions that needed surgery, being diagnosed as diabetic and having been diagnosed with lichen sclerosis it has been incredibly trying. I also realized my DH is my rock. And I fall more in love and am more in awe of him every day (sorry not sorry for being mushy) not losing hope and definitely having distractions help as this can become quite obsessive.
  • teambrink said:
    As a newbie, my biggest lesson has been in the complex simplicity of our bodies. There is so much going on, yet it all became so clear after reading TCOYF. I swear they need to distribute that book as soon as a girl gets her period. They should put a complete stop to the lessons learned in junior high. There is no reason for me to be 31 and just learning about temping, charting, etc. 
    I second this! 

With my DS my DH and I tried for 11 months and the first month I started charting we got pregnant, Thank God : ) 

This time around I am learning that after BF'ing for 12 1/2 months there is no regularity for me and I'm hoping to learn how long it takes me to become more (regular). Still learning about this one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP December 1, 2014
    MC -  December 15, 2014
  • TTC can be a complete mind fuck.

I second this!
  • DovahFel said:

I learned to never think "It'll never happen to me."

I also learned that people, especially close friends and family, don't really mean "I'm here for you no matter what."  A more accurate phrase is "I'm here for you until you actually become an inconvenience...then I'll do what I can to make it worse for you."

I'm NOT having a great 2014.  I'm hoping 2015 is magically better.

Hugs! I'm right there with you on all of it. Our 2015 will be MUCH better than 2014.
    12/2007  Engaged  *  1/2010 Married  *  2/2014 Started TTC
    4/2014 1st BFP  *  8/2014 Caleb Emmanuel became an angel  *  11/2014 Started TTC Again
    1/2015 BFP * 9/21/2015  EDD 

• Doubleposting because damnit, I forgot to tag and you need to see that. @dovahfel ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Please note that due to the actions of TheBump and their parent company, XO Corporation, I no longer feel safe or comfortable posting regularly on this forum for my pregnancy journey.

If you would like to seek a community of women that can help you at any stage of your journey, please consider joining us at [OUR NEW HOME].

#iStandWithTheMods #Solidarity
    TTGP Acronyms/Newbie Blog
    “I want people to like what I do, but, at the bottom line, fuck ‘em if they don’t.” - Craig Ferguson
  • I'm learning that TTC is going to be a lot harder than I ever expected..
  • DovahFel said:
    Back at you Rama.  I miss you lately!! *huuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs*

@DovahFel I miss you, too!  I s2g I'm coming back someday, when shit stops happening to me all the time. D:
    Please note that due to the actions of TheBump and their parent company, XO Corporation, I no longer feel safe or comfortable posting regularly on this forum for my pregnancy journey.

If you would like to seek a community of women that can help you at any stage of your journey, please consider joining us at [OUR NEW HOME].

#iStandWithTheMods #Solidarity
    TTGP Acronyms/Newbie Blog
    “I want people to like what I do, but, at the bottom line, fuck ‘em if they don’t.” - Craig Ferguson
  • I, like many of us, have learned so much about my body and cycles. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm so thankful for the knowledge I've gained from you ladies.

I also learned that my husband is awesome. He keeps me real and spoils me at the same time. He'll be such a good father someday.
    Anniversary
  • @DovahFel‌ hugs. I hope 2015 is better too.
  • DovahFel said:
    I learned to never think "It'll never happen to me."

I also learned that people, especially close friends and family, don't really mean "I'm here for you no matter what."  A more accurate phrase is "I'm here for you until you actually become an inconvenience...then I'll do what I can to make it worse for you."

I'm NOT having a great 2014.  I'm hoping 2015 is magically better.

Hugs @DovahFel, 2014 was definitely not one of my better years as well. I'll be thinking and praying that this year brings you peace and many joyful moments with those who love you unconditionally!
    Me: 29 DH: 34 Married 9/8/12 Started TTC 10/01/12
    Dx: Hypothalamic amenorrhea by RE in 2/2013
          Provera + Ovidrel trigger = BFP #1 3/24/13
    DD born 11/12/13
    TTC #2 since 9/01/14
    Tamoxifen + Ovidrel trigger = CP (cycle 3)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess

TTGP January Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails

• I second learning patience, the hard way... I have also learned the hard way that you can't blindly follow the advice of someone just because they have an MD behind their name. TTC has taught me to ask questions and be my own advocate. I wish I would have grown a set of lady balls a long time ago.
    ~Me (28) Hubs (32) Big Girl (7) ~
    ~TFAS since Jan. 2013~
    ~Diagnosis: MFI (Last Count 21 million, 72% motile, 2% morphology)~
    ~IUI planned for early 2015~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks so much for sharing, y'all! Happy New Year - wishing everyone a healthy, happy, productive (and patient) 2015! <3

Married since June 2011
    TTC #1 since Dec 2014
  • Life's not fair and I can't compare my journey to others. As much as it sucks to watch other people conceive so quickly (some that probably shouldn't even be having kids...) I need to worry *only* about us.

BabyFetus Ticker

• I've learned every myth you hear about getting pregnant is so not true.
    I've also learned that just because you stop getting terrible period cramps doesn't mean you won't develop horrendous midcycle cramping from cysts.
    Evil trickery done by my ovaries to me.

Here's hoping for no cramps and lots of happiness in 2015.
    Met 6/5/10, Married 11/11/11, TTC #1 -8/14
  • dtheer13 said:
    I'm learning that TTC is going to be a lot harder than I ever expected..
    @peaseblossom55 I know exactly what you mean. When I got pregnant with DD, I went off of my birth control and 3 weeks later I found out I was pregnant. I assumed that it would be just as easy this time around. Not so much. I am learning more about my body etc because of it though, so its not all bad. 
    Yea I'd hope my cycle would be "normal" after BCP but it's going to take some patient and time I guess... Sometimes I get frustrated about it and other times it doesn't bother me at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"