Infertility
Options

What was your experience with ET

christid0521christid0521 member
edited December 2014 in Infertility

This is my first time going through the IVF process. My RE suggested having 1 embryo transfer as opposed to 2, to decrease the chances of having a multiple birth. I am afraid of the one embryo not taking, and discussed the possibility of having twins with my husband if we chose to do 2 embryos. Has anyone had 2 ET and ended up with twins? Just want to know my chances, and possibly receive some advice from couples who have been through it already. Statistics are great, but personal experience/ advice is a little more comforting!!

Thanks! Chris :)

Me:28

DH: 34 superman strength semen

NEVER have been pregnant

6/28/13: salpingectomy of both tubes due to hydrasalphinx... :(

IVF process: Started in July, had to put it off until after our wedding in Oct, and now we are at full force!

1/2/15: Started 3wk of BC

1/14/15: Injection class.... HOLY Cannoli this medication is looking intimidating

1/23/15: US/ BW

1/26/15: Follistim and Menopur injections start

2/7/15-2/10/15: estimated dates for ER!!!!!

Re: What was your experience with ET

• Options
    Hi there. I would try posting this on the PAIF board if you are looking for experiences with this. It was a personal choice for myself to transfer 1. My re wanted to transfer 2 this last time. I had a 50% chance with one and adding 2 only gave me a 55%. For me it wasn't worth it. I would make the decision on what grade the embryos are and what day you are transferring. Day 5 compared to day 3. But in the end it's your choice.
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• Options
    Wasn't worth the risks for me to transfer more than 1 embryo. I'm a twin, twins run in my family and I've seen first hand the risks that multiples carry. I wanted a healthy baby, and I wasn't going to risk preterm labor and bring babies into this world that would likely end up in the NICU if I could help it. Your health is important too, risks for preeclampsia and gestational diabetes would likely be higher too with multiples.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I just started the process, and it's kind of nerve wracking! I had to have my fallopian tubes removed due to Hydrasalphinx, so IVF is our only option. The Dr gave me his opinion, but it's always nice to speak to women who have been through the process themselves to get their perspective. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone close to me that has had to do fertility, so being able to communicate with everyone on here is wonderful! Thanks for sharing your experiences

NEVER have been pregnant

IVF process: Started in July, had to put it off until after our wedding in Oct, and now we are at full force!

1/14/15: Injection class.... HOLY Cannoli this medication is looking intimidating

• Options
    We transfered two embryos each of our three cycles. The first cycle was a BFN, the second cycle was a BFP, but we miscarreid before our first ultrasound (so we don't know how many stuck; my gut says just one did) and our third cycle ended up in a BFP of twins.  We did lose the second baby at 9 weeks this pregnancy. 

Our chances of success, by the third round, were an 80% of one sticking and 60% chance of both sticking. We were okay with the possibility of twins. 
    Siggy/Ticker Warning

IVF #1: August 2012 Lupron Protocol | 8R 8M 8F |Transfer 2|BFN
    IVF #2: April 2014 Antagonist Protocol|12R 11M 10F|Transfer 2|BFP | m/c 5.8.14 
    FET#1: Transfer Day 8/29 | BFP | Beta 1: 302 Beta 2: 732
    U/S shows two beautiful heartbeats at 122!!
    Lost Baby B at 9 weeks 
    Baby A is our stubborn little fighter with a heartrate of 169!

Team BLUE!

• Options
    We personally would like to avoid twins if possible. We transferred one the first time, and will do the same for our upcoming FET. Our RE agrees as our frosties are all day 6 good quality blasts. If our embryos were of lesser quality, I would maybe consider transferring 2. It's definately a personal decision.
    Me:30 DH:30 
    TTC since January 2013 
    Him: Excellent SA
    Me: 2 clear HSG's, perfect 28 day cycle with ovulation, all testing/blood work good
    1/23/14- **Surgery**
    Diagnosis: severe pelvic adhesions from stage 3/4 endo and old ruptured appendix
    RE Recommends IVF due to likely tubal damage
    IVF #1- November 2014 
                     Started stims 11/7. Antagonist Protocol
                     Trigger 11/17, HCG/Lupron
                     ER 11/19   27R/24m/14F
                     ET 11/24   1 little embie 
                     5 frosties!!! 
                     First ever BFP-  12/4 Beta #1: 35  12/8 Beta #2: 9  CP 

FET #1- February 2015 

• Options
    With my first ET we transferred 2 high quality embies..... BFN

With FET #2 we transferred 2 high quality embies.... BFP that ended in a MMC of both by 9 weeks

FET #3 we transferred 1 good quality embie.... BFN

According to my RE even in the best uterus' in the best circumstances the transfers only work about 60% of the time.

I have friends that single ETs worked both times...,, I have other friends who have a history similar to mine....,

It's a crap shoot. FX yours works regardless of what you choose.
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

• Options

I just started BC today, so in the next few weeks we start injections!!! Slightly excited, little bit nervous, but mostly looking forward to starting this journey!! It's a scary thing having to go through this! If only conceiving was as easy as just having sex....

NEVER have been pregnant

• Options
    ...LO mentioned...

My DS was conceived through IVF. Had 3 low grade embryos transferred on day 3. RE didn't feel any were strong enough to survive but gave it a shot anyway due to my age (24 at the time) and the fact that we had gone through the entre process. Through lots and lots of prayer my son stuck and we now have a crazy 2 year old. Unfortunately, none of the other embryos survived and there were no embryos left over to freeze so we will now be starting the process all over again. Has anyone had any success with any type of financial assistance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    Sending lots and lots of prayers and baby dust your way! Good luck with the process!
  • Options
    LOL, I just saw your reply on another discussion @wreckitsmommy. I applied to several different programs for help with medication costs, and IVF costs. First steps and EMD Serono Compassionate Care I received 50% off certain medications. You have to go through certain pharmacies to receive medications, so please let me if you need help with that. I'll be more than happy to send you the info. The program to receive a discount on total cost of IVF (the portion that insurance doesn't cover) is through Shared Help program, but I think certain facilities participate in that program so check with your RE's office.

NEVER have been pregnant

• Options
    edited January 2015
    My RE is strongly against us transferring 2 since the ASRM guideline for my profile is 1, and 2 is a 50% or so chance or twins if a BFP.
    1.0&2.0 7-29-11

• Options
    DH felt the 'two is better than one' theory for awhile, but we ultimately decided we would go with whatever the RE recommended (which was 1).  It ultimately comes down to a combination of your age/egg quality/grade of fertilized eggs (did the make it to blastocyst, how many did, etc.).  I definitely think it's important to discuss it and decide whether you are open to doing 1 or 2, but I think the professionals are good at deciding what is best?  Hope this helps, good luck!

ME - 31, DH - 40

Married 06/25/2011, TTC since 03/2012

BFP #1 on 11/13/12 -- EDD 7/24/13 -- M/C (CP) on 11/21/12

BFP #2 on  7/21/13 -- EDD 3/29/14 -- M/C (CP) on 7/31/13

09/4/13 - 4/16/14 -- IUI #1 - 6 = BFNs :(

7/13/14 -- IVF #1 w/ ICSI

ER on 7/26/14 -- 20 R, 15 M, 11 F

ET on 7/31/14 -- 1 transferred (4bb); 8 frosties!!!

BFP #3 on 8/8/14 -- EDD 04/18/15

BETA #1:  473,  BETA #2: 1009, BETA #3: 1975

** It's a BOY!!! **

image    image 

• Options
    The possibility is there that you could have twins. If you are against this then transfer one. I wish you this best whatever you decide
  • Options
    SAIF response, SIggy warning.... I've transferred a total of 12 5 day blasts, 2 at a time, and have had only one take and one live birth. you just never know.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"