February 2015 Moms

Breast Feeding Advice/Books to read?

Long story short, I wasn't able to make it to my last birthing class and missed all of the info on breastfeeding. I intend on doing it exclusively (understanding it may not work the way I want it to), I'm using a midwife who will help me when I need it, but I also don't want to be totally unprepared/uneducated before I ask questions. Is there any advice you STM's could give or books you'd recommend? Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Breast Feeding Advice/Books to read?

• I am reading "Making More MIlk"  and so far, I love it!  
  • My best advice is to find a good lactation consultant you like before you deliver. If you have problems, don't hesitate to reach out to her once you are home. While in the hospital, don't hesitate to make use of the nursing staff and LC on staff for help, but don't assume that they have the knowledge / patience / time to really work with you to pinpoint and solve problems. I was sent home with a tongue tied baby (unbeknownst to me) and it caused a world of problems. 

Speaking of which, I recommend specifically asking the pediatrician if he/she thinks LO is tongue tied or lip tied. It's not very common, but my understanding is that it frequently goes undiagnosed. If you're having problems in the hospital nursing, it might be worth asking the LC to check for that, too. My LO saw three different pediatricians and two different LCs, and only the last LC even looked to see if LO was tongue tied. He was, and it would have stopped me from nursing long term if it hadn't been addressed. I ended up nursing for 2 years, but had LO remained tongue tied it probably wouldn't have lasted 2 months. It was just too painful to nurse a tongue tied baby. 

I've heard good things about La Leche League, too, but don't have any personal experience there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been reading The Nursing Mother's Companion.
  • Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - goofy name, great book

A classic. This one has helped me bf 4 babies so far!
  • In addition to seeing a good LC, I would suggest perusing kellymom.com.  That's the resource I went to most of the time when I had BFing questions or issues when I was BFing DS.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Kellymom is great, and also get in touch with your local La Leche League before the baby comes. When I had trouble with my first, the leader came to my house and helped me with all my concerns free of charge. Lactation consultants can be very expensive and not always covered by insurance.
  • Kellymom.com and the Womanly Art of breastfeeding book were both great resources for me.
  • Take an exclusively breast feeding class. I did with DD & found it was the most beneficial thing ever. I also consulted with a lactation consultant too. We had a rough time at first because my breasts became engorged and were absolutely ginormous (I have implants as well) and were nearly crushing her. I had to pump a little to get things going for DD. And we really had to learn which holding position worked well for us due to the size, and that took some experimentation, but because of the class, I knew what my options were. I exclusively BF her until about 18 months & it was a rewarding (yet tiring) experience.
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• Thanks everyone! My midwife is a lactation consultant and her help is part of her services thankfully. I ordered the goofy sounding Womanly Art of Breastfeeding from Amazon today, DH will either be amused or freaked out be the title!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"