July 2015 Moms

Switching OBs

Unfortunately, I ended up in the hospital on Christmas day with flu-like symptoms and extreme dehydration.  It's a long story about what all happened in the hospital, but to keep it short my OB really let me down.  She handled things very poorly and did not seem to care at all about my baby.  On top of that, I called my office on Monday with a legit concern and they have yet to call me back.  This is beyond frustrating!  So I have done some research on other OBs in the area and I have an appointment scheduled for the end of January (the soonest they could get me in).  Has anyone else switched OBs mid-pregnancy?  I dread going through all of the new patient stuff again!

Re: Switching OBs

• I will be having a very serious conversation with mine on Friday and if it does not go well, I will be switching.  It's scary, but you need to find a place that will make you feel important. 
    July '15 January Siggy - snow fails
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker

• MamamadsMamamads member
    edited December 2014
    Better now than later in the game. I switched a few times last pregnancy, I don't take the decision of finding an on lightly and neither should you. Find someone you feel confident with and get some good recs from people you know. It will Be worth it!

Edited to clarify
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm switching but only because I'm moving. I love my Dr and the whole practice I go to and I'm terrified. I only know two people where I'm moving so I don't know how I'm going to pick one. FX your find someone good!
  • I'm debating a change. It is a bit overwhelming but like the others said the sooner you do it the better.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • With my first pg I had a dr I did not like. I ended up going to the ER, while there a nurse heard my concerns a recommended another OB. I changed shortly after. I love him. My DH loves him. This makes the entire process so much easier.

Sadly that pg ended in a missed m/c at 13w. The new OB/staff were amazing, I can't imagine how it could have gone with the other guy.

Go with your gut. It's early and your current dr will pass along your records so you won't be re-doing everything.

GL!!

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• Thank you to each of you for your words of encouragement!
  • I switched right at the beginning for similar reasons. The first practice was not truthful about the nature of appointments. I understand certain places have their way of doing things, but patients also need to work within insurance guidelines, I wasn't asking for special treatment, just disclosure on WHAT treatments they were doing. Then they denied ever receiving my US results, even after I personally sat with the receptionist at the imaging office and confirmed via phone that the fax had indeed been recieved. I called every day for 9 days about a plan of action/follow up for this US that indicated a non-viable pregnancy, but could not get any answers. Basically it was 3 weeks of hell, a lot of unnecessary bills, and I never even got to see a doctor! I'm glad I switched because where I am now is very honest, easy to schedule with, and at least acts like they personally care about my wellbeing and concerns! Definitely make the change asap if you aren't completely comfortable, it has made me feel worlds better!

Unfortunately, I am moving (further away than expected, and will have to make a switch again in a few mos :(
  • I'm considering changed OBs as well. I really just dislike the nurses I have, and since I see them 50% of the time I just think I should go a head with the switch.
    My biggest problem is that I LOVED LOVED LOVED my first OB, who I had with DD. Unfortunately, he passed away the winter following her birth. :( So I think it'll be hard for anyone to measure up to him.
    Plus, how awkward would it be if I switched and then this doc was on call when I go in to give birth?? Eep!

• I am switching as well. My doctors office is not very informative and I feel irritation from them if I have questions. My new doctors office instructed me to just get my medical records( I have to go by and sign for them) but this would stop me from having all those prenatal tests again. Call your new doctor and ask what steps are needed to avoid all those tests.
  • I wish I would have with my first. I never really had a good feeling about him and never thought that he or his staff had my best interest at hand. I dealt with a lot of bs that I would not have had to if I switched. Do it now, do not wait until it has been too long. 

• I agree with everyone who has said that you should do what you think is right. You know best!

I will say, though, from experience that I think you should let your OB know how or why s/he let you down. The OB could be completely unaware of your displeasure and at the very least it could be a learning experience. Further, if the issue is not receiving a call back, that could be an office issue and not necessarily an OB issue. Maybe it would be good for your OB to know that s/he isn't returning messages in a timely fashion. I'm sure you're not the only patient who has had that issue and doctors are only as good as their patients say they are!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow, there are so many considering switching... I'm also considering it because of my experience with my last delivery and the OB's I dealt with at my current practice. I love my midwife I see there but she is one midwife out of 7 other OB's and the odds are against being delivered by her...
    With that said, does anyone know (or have had experience with) if you can make a first appt with a new practice before completely switching over? Like just meeting the midwives/OB's before committing?
  • I just finished the switching process...for the THIRD time, in a way. In fact, I've had to deal with office managers because of all the wrong information we were given. Thankfully, the manager was awesome and is addressing all of our concerns. 

The OB I saw yesterday was a dick and a half who refused to treat me like a woman who knew what the hell I was talking about (re: what happened with my last pregnancy) and treated me like an idiot (I heard him call me that in the hallway to a nurse). He also told me false information about how their hospital handles VBAC patients in an effort to deter me from my plan because he's not a big VBAC supporter. Needless to say, I switched OBs immediately, and have being dealing with higher-ups. Don't be afraid to call people in positions of authority to get their input/tell your side. You might be surprised how supportive they are. 

Take care of YOU and your BABY. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
    BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You really have to go with your gut on this one. If they don't give you the right feeling, nothing is going to change it. Look at some sample birth plans or read later chapters in a pregnancy book to give you topics to inquire about as you interview a new OB. Another pro for switching early is the matter of payment. In the practice I am with, payment for the services of the MW/OB are due by 32 wks. Sometimes the "what to expect during labor" conversations happen after that. If you don't like the answers, you're stuck. Good luck, I hope you find the team you're looking for.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I switched my OB. The first one I went to sucked B-hole. He didn't even check me. Just said I was pregnant and then left it at that. I made an appt with another OB only for her to tell me she is pregnant too. But she is due 6 weeks before me and she has a really great practice with other great OB's so I decided to stick with her.

DS - 3/29/06
    DS - 11/13/09
    DD - 4/20/11
    EDD - 7/20/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Gosh, this thread makes me so thankful that I love my OB and like most of the doctors at the practice!
    No personal experience to offer but I do think it's important to see eye to eye with your doctor and to be comfortable with them. Having an "easy" pregnancy means you have to be comfortable with your doc. And I say easy very loosely, since I think I actually mean "supported".
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• My insurance is changing in April so I will be switching about half way through this pregnancy. I like my current OB but I wouldn't say I love her so I'm kinda excited about the change but not looking forward to all the paper work
    Please excuse typos....auto correct hates me. =)

Married 8.17.12
    Anniversary 
    DD Born 9.23.13
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerDS Born 7.15.15

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MamamadsMamamads member
    edited January 2015

Wow, there are so many considering switching... I'm also considering it because of my experience with my last delivery and the OB's I dealt with at my current practice. I love my midwife I see there but she is one midwife out of 7 other OB's and the odds are against being delivered by her...
    With that said, does anyone know (or have had experience with) if you can make a first appt with a new practice before completely switching over? Like just meeting the midwives/OB's before committing?

Yes most places will let you do a kind of meet and greet if you call and ask. Also when I switched with my first I didn't have to re do my entire first appointment they just passed on my files with test results etc to my new OB.. so that's something for everyone to consider. Switching is very simple and very worth it if you are unhappy.
  • I'm switching after my next appt. mostly because I decided I wanted to be at a different hospital. Both practices have about 7 OBs and 3 midwives (I'm seeing the midwives). Both have a reputation for feeling like a number. I wanted to be at this small group of only midwives that do hospital and home births, but insurance wouldn't cover it and unfortunately it doesn't make sense with a $10k deductible. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"