47% 52 votes
Body warmth (co-sleepers)
2% 3 votes
Loose blanket (despite SIDS warnings)
6% 7 votes
SS
7% 8 votes

Re: How do you keep LO warm at night?

• Err... We keep the heat on and use a sleep sac or wearable blanket... but, I wouldn't say we use them primarily to keep him warm.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• We keep her room warmer and keep her in warm Pj's, she doesn't do well with swaddling for some reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image
  • Loading the player...
  • hecklethecklet member
    edited December 2014
    SaraML13 said:

I voted swaddle. We usually put him in light cotton pjs and swaddle. We also have radiator heat and keep his room turned up a little warmer.

We just started swaddling him with one arm out and will move to both arms out soon. We may move over to sleep sacks. One problem is that the hand that is free gets so cold, especially because he sucks on it. I've thought about putting mittens on, but then he'll just have a wet mitten on, which doesn't seem any warmer.

I see this comment on here a lot about hands being cold. It is normal for LO's hands and feet to be colder due to lack of developed circulatory system. Check their stomach/chest, this is the true indicator for how warm they are. Sometimes if their hands and feet are warm it actually means they are overheating.

We have transitioned to fleece sleep sacs ( live in Minnesota where it's cold) because daycare will not be able to swaddle so we figured we should just get DS used to having his arms free.
  • I chose warm pajamas but we have a weird situation in my parents' house. The radiators are old and in order to make my attic room warm enough, they have to turn the heat to boiling hot for the rest of the house. I can't leave the door open because our cats don't get along, PLUS DS sleeps in the swing and gets a little chilly at night.

However, he's always been a sweaty guy and got heat rash at 6 weeks because I was dressing him too warmly and also swaddling. So I'm never sure if I'm dressing him enough but am also worried he'll get too hot.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • We have space heaters in the bedrooms, but DS will wear a fleece footie sleeper or a sleep sack. I chose sleep sack because that is what we do most often.
  • We have pretty mild temps here so I actually worry more about him getting too hot.  I swaddle him and he is usually in light cotton jumper or long sleeve onsie, pants, and socks.  I keep the ceiling fan on in his room also.
  • We swaddle from arms down but will be transitioning to a sleep sack next week. 

• For those of you who chose sleep sack, do you ever find that it creeps up on your LO's face and slightly covers his/her mouth and nose?  That happened to me and I stopped using one since I started worrying about SIDS.  
    January siggy contest - Snow Fail
  • starybstaryb member
    edited December 2014
    I should have said ss. We swaddle in a halo sleepsack with a tee shirt or onesie underneath but I will admit that we also use a blanket despite the risk. Dd sleeps in her RnP at night and we always keep a loose blanket in it. We put her down swaddled in her halo and then wrap it around her feet. We don't have the blanket over her chest or near her face. She seems to find the blanket comforting and doesn't sleep as well without it. We are working on transitioning her to her crib and so far we haven't used a blanket in there at all, just the swaddle.

Eta: we keep dd in our room which has all inside walls and no windows. We actually turn the heat down at night because our room gets really warm but then its freezing in the living room MOTN.

• SS - didn't vote loose blanket b/c we tuck the blanket on the sides. This is what the hospital I delivered at suggested. I do have a sleep sack though that I've yet to use. I'll probably use it once he transitions to the crib. 

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Dd wears either cotton or fleece pjs and is swaddled. She runs warm, though, so I actually turn the heat down at night.

I don't plan to use a sleep sack unless she really needs one. At that point, we will just use fleece or cotton sleep and plays depending on the weather and temperature of the house. We are starting to try naps unswaddled in the crib over the next month to try and ween her from the swaddle before she starts rolling over.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We use a zipadee-zip and love it. A cross between a swadddle and sleep sac. My LO hated being swaddled so this worked great.
  • I lay a knitted blanket in his rnp then swaddle him in separate swaddle and lay him in there and fold the blanket over his torso and legs.. I don't let it near his face
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"