January 2013 Moms

Coconut oil for ear infections?

Has anybody heard of using coconut oil or other such things for ear infections as an alternative to antibiotics? DD has her 3rd ear infection in 8 weeks, and she keeps having to get the Rocephin shots because the oral antibiotics aren't clearing them. We take her in today to see if this one has cleared, and I'm just dreading being told she needs those shots again. I plan to ask the pedi about alternatives, but in general she doesn't seem to put much merit in non-medical treatments so I'm not expecting much.

Anybody have experience with this??

Re: Coconut oil for ear infections?

• I haven't had any experience with coconut oil but I have had a lot of experience with ear infections with J . I hope you find some good answers!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I couldn't find any natural treatments that worked. Usually once you have 3 consecutive ear infections that won't be cleared by antibiotics they will start talking about tubes. I reallllllyyy didn't want to do tubes but DS's quality of life improved so much after them! He is now on his 2nd set and again he's way healthier overall and his pronunciation and speaking have just improved so much. So while I hope your LO is improved and doesn't get any more ear infections, I'd keep an open mind to their proposed solutions. I did really hate giving DS antibiotics all of the time.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We too had ear tubes placed for J, and he was sooo much better afterwards.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Thanks for your responses, ladies. We saw the ENT and he wants to wait until she's had 4 or more ear infections, so if she gets another one we'll go back. Fortunately her ears have cleared this time (I couldn't believe it), so we'll just wait for the next one. Glad to hear you've had good experiences with the tubes though!!

• So glad to hear they cleared! I really hope she stays healthy!! Ear infections are the worst.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've heard of using garlic oil.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"