July 2015 Moms
Options

Mattress recommendations?

Any mom's out there have recommendations for matresses? We are still sleeping on my cruddy old bed from college which I've had for many years. It is so incredibly uncomfortable, I can't stand it. We had saved up for either a tempur pedic or sleep number, but the prices are just SO high, I'm wondering if it's even worth the investment.

I did find an off brand 12 inch memory foam mattress, slumber solutions, for less than 1/3 the cost! It got rave reviews (that I found), so now I'm curious if anyone has any advice or personal recommendations.

Is it really a "you get what you pay for" market, or could these off brands be on to something!? Does anyone have lower cost recommendations? I'm assuming pregnancy makes the whole comfort while sleeping thing hard...correct me if I'm wrong!

Re: Mattress recommendations?

• Options
    We have a Kingsdown mattress that we bought 10 years ago that's pretty amazing still. So comfy! That said, we recently bought a new one for our cottage and I think it's too soft because neither H or I love it.... I've considered a tempur pedic but have no experience...I have heard that the Costco version is not a bad alternative. But when it comes to such a big investment, I'm not sure.... I've slept on a Sleep number a few times and HATED it with a passion every single time...
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    I'm in the market for a new mattress soon too, I've looked into Costco to see what they've got but I'm interested to see what kinds of responses you get here too :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a temperpedic and we love ours. We have had it for 3 years and have had no problems and it is pretty comfy. We have the one that has remote control to go up and down to whatever you like. We did see one we liked at rooms to go and I believe it was Serta or something and it was really expensive but comfy. It wasn't foam it was made out of something else like gel i think.
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                            Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • Options
    We got an off brand memory foam mattress and LOVE it.
  • Options
    We got a really comfortable Corsicana mattress from Mattress Firm about five years ago. We love it! It's held up well and really comfortable. We had tried some other bigger name brands, but found we liked this one the best.

July 2015 Siggy Challenge

Snow Fails

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a sleep number - it's absolutely worth the money *if* you and your partner prefer different sleeping surfaces.  I like really firm, he's really soft, and there's just no other mattress that can accommodate both of us.  If you guys are happy on the same bed but it's time for an upgrade, we have one of the Sultan Ikea mattresses which are innerspring and memory foam as a guest mattress and it is freaking fantastic for the price.  I sleep like a baby on that thing, and H doesn't complain about it being too firm.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We just bought an eclipse last week. I really like it although the first night was a killer on my hips. It's a pillow top but also has memory foam so it won't collapse over time. DH likes tall beds and this one is definitely tall, I have to jump to get in it.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    We have a Bob's mattress and love it. It's not the true memory foam knock off, but the one that's made with latex foam I think? No coils is all I remember.

I have had good luck with their furniture in general. If you can get over their commercials (and if it's a national chain...I'm in the northeast) give it a try.
  • Options
    OMG we just set up our new mattress an hour ago. I'm in love. It's called MLily, it's memory foam. My back is so happy.

TTC #1 since 08/2013

BFP#1: 1/6/2014 EDD: 9/17/2014 Natural MC: 1/17/2014 (5w3d)

BFP #2: 6/7/2014 EDD: 2/18/2015 Natural MC 6/19/2014 (5w)

BFP #3: 10/22/14 EDD: 7/1/2015  

*Taking Progesterone supplements* Beta 1: 777, Beta 2: 2589 *GROW BABY!*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Every penny spend on teper pedic is worth it!! They are so expensive - heck, the materace alone was as much as all the furniture to my bedroom, but whooh is this stuff good!!!? Each time we sleep over somewhere else we have issues with our backs...only teper pedic is good. Also, get the pillows too!! No more back pain, no more neck pain.. Just somber sleep. Make sure to get the protective cover though as it shields your body from the excess heat gathered in the foam, especially annoying during the summertime.
           BabyFruit Ticker      
                Our Rainbow Baby 
                                                                 Image and video hosting by TinyPic                                                    
          Me- 28, DH- 32 ----> together six years, married June 2012
    TTC ---> since the wedding night
    Initial diagnosis of PCOS, currently labeled as unexplained infertility
    Clomid and trigger shot regimen
    BFP 12/20/13, EDD 8/25/2014, baby got his wings at 11 weeks and 3 days.
    IVF - 2 day6 frozen embryos transferred 11/5/14, 9 frozen babies
    BFP 11/9/14, EDD 7/24/2015

• Options
    I don't know the brand of our mattress, but it has dual sides - one firm one soft. DH likes the firm side and it had always been his side but... It is closer to the door of our bedroom and when I wake up 8 times a night to pee, I made him switch sides. I don't feel a difference from that and the soft side that was my normal side of the bed. He can tell a major difference and begs me to go back to my side lol.

For me I am all about bed sheets. I will spend $500+ on new sheets, pillow cases and a comforter every time the seasons change. Call me crazy but I have to have the best when I am sleeping. I spoiled myself and now can't break the habit. But it makes such a huge difference, it is as important as the mattress to me. Good bed sheets will change your life! Especially being pregnant. If you can spare the $, when you get your new mattress, invest in some high quality bed sheets and you will not be disapponted!
  • Options
    Another vote for temperpedic. DH has a bad back and I didn't really want to spend the money on a mattress but it is so worth it (an pillows too!!). As a disclaimer, I hated it for the first 4 nights or so. It was def an adjustment but now I love, love, love it! We both sleep so much better and I'm so glad I have it for this pregnancy because it's so much more supportive.
  • Options
    H is a manager at a furniture store, so when we picked out a mattress it was a ridiculous process because he's so picky. We finally agreed on a sealy i comfort, it's memory foam with a cool to touch gel layer. I LOVE our bed! Sleeping anywhere else is miserable now.

My suggestion is to not let a sales person sway you one way or another, or if you're financing don't let the price bog you down either. You really do get what you pay for with mattresses.

I will advise against sleep number beds. They are essentially air mattresses, and H says they constantly get complaints and service calls for the beds popping.
    Married July 19, 2014.
    Inherited one stepson, so excited to continue our family!
    BFP#1: June 15, 2014. MC June 20, 2014.
    BFP#2: July 11, 2014. MMC July 27, 2014. Naturally passed tissue August 5, 2014.
    BFP#3: October 29, 2014.
    EDD: July 8, 2015 *Stick baby stick!*
    imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thanks!!! I love tempur pedic, too :) DH and I do have different preferences, though, so we're leaning towards sleep number - but if they pop, out of the description. Hubby would break it in a second! Ill have to have him reconsider tempur pedic - he HATES them. I wish there was somewhere to check out the off brand tempur pedic like brands...just to see if they even compare, because for 1/3 the price....or I could just buy it and use it in the spare bedroom if need be.
  • Options

H is a manager at a furniture store, so when we picked out a mattress it was a ridiculous process because he's so picky. We finally agreed on a sealy i comfort, it's memory foam with a cool to touch gel layer. I LOVE our bed! Sleeping anywhere else is miserable now.

My suggestion is to not let a sales person sway you one way or another, or if you're financing don't let the price bog you down either. You really do get what you pay for with mattresses.

I will advise against sleep number beds. They are essentially air mattresses, and H says they constantly get complaints and service calls for the beds popping.

That's the other one Dh and I liked, I kept thinking it was Serta lol. Yes the sealy i comforts are really comfy!!
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • Options
    We actually just bought a new mattress right before Thanksgiving. We had been using a hand-me-down mattress from my parents that was probably 20+ years old at this point and it sucked so bad. I made DH promise that when I got pregnant we could get a new one.

I was interested in memory foam but a bit put off by some of what I'd read about it- it holds on to heat so you can get sweaty at night (hate that!) and apparently can be a little difficult to have sex on (no bounce!) In my research I came across a new-ish online company that claims to have perfected the mattress: https://casper.com/ They only sell one style and it only comes in one firmness level. It's got a memory foam core, but has a layer of latex foam on top- so it's cooler and more breathable and still retains some bounce, but still gives you that memory foam feeling where you sink into it a bit and it's cushiony and supportive.

They only sell them online but it's free shipping and you get to try it for 100 days and if you don't like it they'll come pick it up and take it away and you get a full refund. i fouhnd a lot of good reviews online and I figured there was no risk in trying. I really liked the idea of not having to go to a mattress store and deal with salespeople and all the annoying choices. It's way way cheaper than a Tempur pedic ($850 for queen size, and I found a coupon and only paid $800).

We have been super happy with it. It's not like a full memory foam mattress- you can't put a wine glass over on one side and jump up and down- but it definitely absorbs a lot of movement and I've been sleeping much better since we got it. So yeah that sounds like a sales pitch, but I just wanted to share a more unconventional option that worked out well for us.
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"