Infertility

MTHFR gene mutation, 35 yrs old, and I'm about 4 weeks pregnant- need advice

Hi Moms and Moms-to be,
I found out I have the MTHFR gene mutation, which can cause among other things, multiple miscarriages due to blood clotting issues. I also do not process Folic Acid properly. I read up and found that L-Methylfolate is best to take, as it is a non-synthetic folate supplement. I read up some more about some things I should have done to prepare for a pregnancy, such as taking the right supplements and possibly taking anticoagulants like Lovenox. Well here I am pregnant, and I want to proceed the best way possible. I just started taking a baby aspirin and bought a prenatal with L-Methylfolate. I have a dr. appointment in two weeks to discuss everything further with my OBGYN.  This is my third pregnancy, I lost the first two very early (before 6 weeks). Does anyone with the MTHFR gene mutation have advice and can speak from experience regarding a pregnancy regiment? Thanks in advance!

Re: MTHFR gene mutation, 35 yrs old, and I'm about 4 weeks pregnant- need advice

• There are probably some MTHFR ladies here, but none of us are pregnant. PAIF or PgAL would be a better place for this question. Good luck OP.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Me:35, blocked left tube, RPL, AMA  DH: 34, low morph & borderline count
    TTC since 8/2012
    1st ever BFP 11/4/13 - CP 11/6 @ 4w4d
    12/2013: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI TI + progesterone = BFN (all follies on left side)
    1/2014: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI #1 + progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 14 dpIUI = 51 Beta #2 16 dpIUI = 144 Beta #3 19 dpIUI = 354
    U/S @ 6w1d = empty gestational sac. Heartbroken :( D&C 2/22/14
    ~Mental Health Break~
    6/2014: Clomid + ASA 81 mg + trigger + IUI #2 + progesterone = BFN
    7/2014: Clomid + ASA + trigger + IUI #3 + progesterone = CP
    ~Mental Health Break #2~
    1/2015: IVF #1 - please be our rainbow baby!
  • tumbleweed123tumbleweed123 member
    edited December 2014
    unitykr  you should definitely jump over to Pregnant after IF - none of us here is pregnant.  But, since I have the MTHFR mutation, I wanted to offer up some advice.  All your research is correct.  L-methylfolate is the way to go.   You should speak to your doctor about the aspirin and possible injections of Lovenox, if you have the double mutation.  If you have the single, they might just have you on baby aspirin.  But, always check with your doc before starting any meds.  You could just give them a call and ask if it is ok to take the aspirin, based on your past losses and mthfr mutation.  You should also make sure to have your B-12 and B-6 tested, because mthfr ladies often lack those too.  H&H 9 months to you. Now, go over to PAIF. 

eta: spelliing
  • Loading the player...
  • SIggy warning, SAIF response: I am homozygous for the MTHFR mutation. As you can see from my siggy, I have a long and complicated history. With DD (who was the result of an FET in 2012), I was not aware of this, and did nothing, and had no clotting related complications. I've had 4 failures with our attempts for a sibling since then and found out that I had MTHFR through follow up testing with a reproductive immunologist. The RI suggested Metanx, baby aspirin and lovenox. GL to you!

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Check out MTHFR.net

I'm on BA, Vital Nutrients Prenatal w/ 5-mthf, ProDHA, and NO dairy/egg/wheat. A lot of MTHFR folks have food sensitivities. I'm doing a juice cleanse next week to ramp up TTC and then DH and I are starting again. I've had two losses <7 weeks. 
    BFP#1: 03/05/14 | EDD: 11/11/14 | MC: 04/10/14 | D&C 05/01/14 [Molar]
    BFP#2: 10/15/14 | EDD: 06/25/14 | MC: 12/02/14 | D&C 12/04/14 [MMC]
    Current Status: RE appt 01/20/15 & Cleared to TTC
    Plan: Baby Aspirin, More (raw) folate, PNP, Iron, diet
    DX: MTHFR hetero C677T, ANA+ Homogeneous, Anemia. Ige sensitivities: gluten, egg, dairy
    All AL Welcome<3
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”
    We will never forgot our angels<3

• I am not pregnant but take lovenox, baby asprin and a prescription prenatal with a folate in it because when you have this mutation I think your body also has trouble absorbing folic acid. I hope we have all been of some help despite not being pregnant. Good luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"