1st Trimester

11 Week Appointment Question

So I've already had 2 appointments to confirm pregnancy and monitor hcg levels in my 5th week and a sonogram at around 6 weeks. We saw the heartbeat and baby was even measuring 5 days ahead :) Anywho, since those appointments, I decided to go with a midwife instead so I'll be seeing someone completely different on January 8th. I'll be meeting with an OB first and then will be assigned a midwife, I suppose. I'll be having my medical info from the previous appointments faxed over as well. Well, I had it in my mind that at this appointment which will be during my 11th week, they would use the Doppler thing to just listen to the heartbeat. I thought this was basic protocol or something or at least how things normally go....? I called this morning just to ask and the receptionist said no. The OB will just do blood work and go over the basics of pregnancy. That I will come back shortly after for a full blown sonogram. She said it could be the very next day but I find that hard to believe for some reason....I'm kind of fired up about this because I had a missed m/c a few years ago and I have been dreading another since the positive test so I have been greatly looking forward to and anticipating some reassurance. Not that I have any reason to believe anything is wrong other than my past experience and paranoia. My symptoms are still here and strong but how hard is it to get the Doppler out? This post is partly me venting which I apologize for but also for feedback. Do you think maybe the receptionist doesn't know what she's talking about and the OB will use the Doppler? Is it normal to not get to hear the heartbeat during an appointment like this? And do you think it would be normal or out of line to call and specifically ask for it to be done?

Re: 11 Week Appointment Question

• If you can't wait the extra day you can ask while you are there, I don't think there is a reason to call and ask the receptionist to note your chart for that day.  If you genuinely are concerned then say that to the OB AT your appointment time.  GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, you said almost exactly what I've been trying to telling myself. I guess all I needed was someone other than myself to tell me to calm down. You are right. What's one or even three more days in the grand scheme of things. I appreciate it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB wouldn't even try using a Doppler at any appointment before 18 weeks. Our babies are so small and they can be hard to find, which causes more stress. So I don't find it unusual. Also your 12 week scan is right around the corner. So within a few days of your app you should be having an ultrasound. I also have experienced multiple MC's I did buy a home Doppler, it has really helped me in those uncertain times. It might be worth investing.
  • When you go, you could always just ask.  But as pp said, it can be hard to find that early.  I think what you have to ask yourself is how you will feel if they can't find it?  Is it worth taking that chance?

With DD they found it at 11w, DS & baby #3 at 10w.  So not impossible by any means.  But seriously with all three, I basically had to promise the MW I would not panic if they couldn't find the HB, so it's totally normal for them not to be able to find it that early.
  • Very good point.  I actually postponed my first ultrasound for that very reason.  I knew I would freak if I didn't see a baby and heartbeat and by the time I did go in, we saw just that.  So in hindsight, waiting did pay off.  Since becoming pregnant, I've discovered what an impatient person I am lol.  So I'm not going to call back or make any silly demands.  I'll just go and see what the OB decides to do.  Thanks for the responses.  They really helped calm my nerves and put things in perspective.

• There are some helpful mantras on the PGAL board... At least they have helped me keep my 'sanity' between appointments. Congrats!
  • I would just ask. My doctors have tried to use the doppler at the 12 week appointment and sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. They have pulled out the travel u/s machine each time though just to check things out really quick and print me a picture. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • It's not about "how hard is it to get the Doppler out" it's about the fact that they may not be able to heard the baby that early. They tried at my 11 week apt with my first and I got so nervous when they couldn't find it , so they sent me for ultrasound since I was doing genetic testing anyway . But the point is, they don't want to scare anyone that early.
  • brinbribrinbri member
    edited January 2015

I would just ask. My doctors have tried to use the doppler at the 12 week appointment and sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. They have pulled out the travel u/s machine each time though just to check things out really quick and print me a picture. 

This is exactly what my OB does. I'll go in at 8wks for blood work and then at 12 weeks hear a heat beat with the Doppler. With my son they found it with my daughter they couldn't so the got out the portable U/S machine. But they don't do any anatomy scans or anything like that, just a quick check for a heartbeat.

I am guessing since you started out in a different office this office still requires blood work and such, so they will do that first.

• At my 12 weeks appt with my son, they attenpted the Doppler and no luck. They gave me a quick ultrasound. I am 10 weeks today and my first appt is tomorrow with a new doctor. They wouldn't give me a true idea of tomorrow either like you-I also had a miscarriage so am anxious. I am thinking I will be waiting until next week fornan ultrasound too. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • alanna7777, Tell me how your appointment goes.  I'm 10w1d today just like you :)  Hope all goes well!
  • I went today. Basically just confirmed the pregnancy with a urine test. Tried with Doppler to find heartbeat with no luck. Set my ultrasound appt for next Friday and I will see the dr again after. Blood work then too-trying to be patient! Post after your appointment too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"