September 2015 Moms

Exercising?

Anyone exercising and planning to continue through the duration of your pregnancy? I do Body Pump! I was cleared by my doc to continue but, I'm nervous especially when doing abs. I didn't work out last pregnancy because I was still working and too tired!

Re: Exercising?

• OUKapOUKap member
    edited December 2014
    I am working on a C25K program and I am at five weeks. I plan to continue to run for a while. For my last pregnancy, I worked out doing cardio machines and then walked in the third trimester. I also parked my car far from the office building and walked. I am thinking of getting a fitbit with my healthcare gift card to track my activity level, but I am not sold on it. Seems expensive for what it does. Several people in my family have them. Anyone here have one? I am thinking just getting the zip.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • I'm hoping to be more active this pregnancy than I was last pregnancy, but I'm not sure what that will entail yet.  Good for you for planning to keep exercising!

General rule of thumb is to try not to lie flat on your back for too long after the first tri, but if you speak with your Body Pump teachers they should have some modified movements you'll be able to do while pregnant.  
    September '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance!   

BFP 11/18/14 ~ EDD 7/26/15 ~ MC 11/27/14

image            image
                          Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                              

• Loading the player...
  • I used to be a hard-core runner but due to foot issues, I only run a couple of times a week, a couple of miles each time. I plan on just doing walking/running (alternating) and using my stationary bike at home. I also have plenty of strength training regimens that I can dust off and do at home.
    together since '03 / married since '14 / started TTC Dec '14 / Holy shit! BFP 12/28/14!
    Sept '15 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance!
  • I also want to get back into strength training. I really enjoyed it.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • rubylovebugrubylovebug member
    edited December 2014
    @OUKap - I loved C25K, I was hoping to start it back up in January.  I did it in 2012 & ran a half marathon 15 months after I started.  It's a great training plan.  I have a Fitbit One, & while I do like it, I think it is on the expensive side for what it does.  Some people really love the social aspect of the online community.  Not sure about the Zap features, but I like the sleep tracking on the One.  I'm planning to buy the one with the heart rate monitor next month, it's a bit pricier but I feel like the heart rate monitor will give me more concrete information.

image            image

• I'm a yoga lover and just got 20 passes to my local studio for Christmas, I'm ecstatic that it worked out this way since I'll have motivation to use the gift card during my pregnancy!
  • @OUKap - I loved C25K, I was hoping to start it back up in January.  I did it in 2012 & ran a half marathon 15 months after I started.  It's a great training plan.  I have a Fitbit One, & while I do like it, I think it is on the expensive side for what it does.  Some people really love the social aspect of the online community.  Not sure about the Zap features, but I like the sleep tracking on the One.  I'm planning to buy the one with the heart rate monitor next month, it's a bit pricier but I feel like the heart rate monitor will give me more concrete information.

I used to run cross country. I have started running several times and this is the furthest I have gotten. I really want to finish it. I am considering registering for a 5k in early march to motivate me. The registration fee doesn't change and goes through late Feb, so I will wait until then to actual spend the money.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • veltemamaveltemama member
    edited December 2014
    Yes. BF and I were religious about working out then this summer life got hectic and we quit our gym. Well needless to say 40lbs later and a surprise bfp I refuse to be at risk for GD again so it gave me the push ti start back. Obviously not heavy lifting or crossfit anymore but my treadmill/cardio for sure
  • Those that are starting to or picking up working out - have you heard of any restrictions on it?  I know that it is healthiest to get exercise, but during my last preg my drs made comments that I could continue to run because I had been running before pregnancy.  I haven't worked out much since DD was born & know to start slow, just was wondering if there was anything I should avoid or ideas for plans to follow.

image            image

• Those that are starting to or picking up working out - have you heard of any restrictions on it?  I know that it is healthiest to get exercise, but during my last preg my drs made comments that I could continue to run because I had been running before pregnancy.  I haven't worked out much since DD was born & know to start slow, just was wondering if there was anything I should avoid or ideas for plans to follow.

I asked my doctor last week and she said it was fine to continue what I was doing as long as I had been doing it 3 months prior to pregnancy.
  • I plan to continue to work out through this pregnancy just like my last. I really think it helped! I probably wouldn't start anything new but if you've been working out you can keep it up until your body tells you to take it down a notch.- that was my experience before.
    BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • OUKapOUKap member
    edited December 2014
    Previously, my doctor just said to avoid anything with contact/ falling risks. The common sense would not to be too intense or go too fast and listen to your body. I looked up a few studies and only saw laying on your back as being a problem. There might be a problem if the workout is too intense or you get too hot, but no human studies showing actual risks that I could see.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
    You've got to talk to your doctor before you start your first fitness regimen (especially while pregnant), but anything low-impact (swimming, walking, yoga, stretching) will be fine for generally healthy people.
    together since '03 / married since '14 / started TTC Dec '14 / Holy shit! BFP 12/28/14!
  • I was doing Turbo Fire until about a month ago. I need to start again, just low impact. I'm 7lbs heavier than I was last pregnancy. I didn't gain too much last time, but it is so hard to lose because of lack of time. I want to walk, but it's not the right season for that right now.

imageimage

• ProfEDDProfEDD member
    edited December 2014
    OUKap said:
    I am working on a C25K program and I am at five weeks. I plan to continue to run for a while. For my last pregnancy, I worked out doing cardio machines and then walked in the third trimester. I also parked my car far from the office building and walked. I am thinking of getting a fitbit with my healthcare gift card to track my activity level, but I am not sold on it. Seems expensive for what it does. Several people in my family have them. Anyone here have one? I am thinking just getting the zip.
    Yes! Nothing to report yet on how it well works (xmas gift). I've been looking around the boards to see if/how others have used it in pregnancy.

It does let you factor in pregnancy as a piece of your body data, but for some reason it only lets you select 2nd or 3rd trimester. Stay tuned...

Edit: missing important words.
    September '15 siggy challenge: Happy Dance
    dancing,ron swanson,gifs,drunk,funny
  • I was working two jobs before so I didn't have time to exercise. I walked to work (45 minutes each way) and ran like every other month. Think I can get away with exercising now that I'm not working two jobs?
  • I was doing a really high intensity workout five days a week, but I'm not super comfortable with that now. I think I'm going to start a round of a lower intensity, but still include my weights.

I've gotten really into fitness in the last couple of months and don't want to just drop it all. My last pregnancy I was a sloth and cannot do that again.
  • OUKap said:
    I have a fitbit-like thing - a competitor, I guess. It's called Misfit and I chose it over Fitbit because I don't regularly use a computer at home (I love my tablet) so I liked the idea of being able to sync my activity/sleep using bluetooth rather than having to plug into a USB port. It also legitimately looks like a watch, and can also be worn as a necklace and clasped to your clothes. But, I know Fitbit has a really great community (you can add friends and such) that Misfit doesn't have.
  • As long as ur doc cleared u, I wouldn't worry :) I plan on doing Jillian michaels 90 day transformations DVDs. They are only 30 min! Of course, I will listen to my body and slow down once I get a bump.
  • I bought the fitbit zip this afternoon. So far I like it. I hope this will keep me active during the pregnancy. I had a healthcare gift card, so it was only $3. Yay. Mine syncs up to my phone via Bluetooth.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • In team Fitbit as well! I have the Charge and previously had the Force. I love them both! I definitely think they encourage me to get more steps in each day.
  • I do barre classes and love them, however my dr told me to stop for the first trimester.
  • natback said:
    I do barre classes and love them, however my dr told me to stop for the first trimester.
    Which Barre classes do you do?  At Pure Barre & my local Barre studio, the teachers were trained to be able to show you modifications for the ab work before class so you could still participate.  Follow your doctor's advice, but it's a great, low impact work out if you want to continue & your dr gives the go ahead.

image            image

• I do bar method, I know it's usually ok, but my infertility doctor advised me against it this time to be safe, just for the first trimester. I will miss it!
  • 3houlagirl3houlagirl member
    edited December 2014
    I also have a Fitbit and LOVE IT!

I run and do yoga regularly, and will keep doing both until/unless I can't any more. I also have five dogs and 21 chickens, so I'm always busy at home, too.

Anyone know when lifting 50# feed bags becomes a no-no?
    TTC #1: May 2014

My Chart
  • I should be. I haven't been doing a thing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loooove weight training! DH and I weight train together. I have every intention on continuing to lift throughout my pregnancy.I'll make some adjustments but I've pretty much maintained my routine 5am gym sessions since the BFP....DH supports me in that goal. So hopefully it goes as planned on all accounts.
  • I have been an avid weight lifter for several years and plan to continue with modifications.  I have also started incorporating yoga, advanced stretching and core focused training into my routine.  If you are concerned about ab work, then core training such as with a TRX or plank exercises are a good alternative.
    "S15 January Siggy Challange - Happy Dance"
    Jimmy Fallon Dance

Married: 10/4/2013
    TTC Since September 2014
    BFP 11/30/2014 ~ EDD 8/13/2015 ~ CP 12/5/2014
    BFP #2 12/30/2014 ~ EDD 9/13/2015 Stick bean stick!
  • I just got the Fitbig Charge for christmas. I plan to try to walk daily, do stairs, and ride more bikes with my kids outside. Hoping to gain minimal weight this pregnancy. =/
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • I was running until winter arrived and now I jog on the treadmill.  I don't plan on stopping. :)
  • With my first pregnancy I found walking/hiking to be the only thing that got me through my sever morning sickness. I luckily have a dog who can walk for hours. I started off doing normal hiking and walking trails. Once hills got to be too much, I just did flatter trails. I also found some great yoga and circuit training DVDs for pregnancy which I would alternate and I kept up with some light weight training and core work with my yoga ball. Basically whatever made me feel good at the time is what I did. I would have loved to swim at the end though!
  • I was doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred until my BFP and I want to keep trying to do it. I hope it's not too high impact. I've been modifying and resting when I feel tired.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"