Breastfeeding

does this sound like thrush?

LO is a week old. Both nipple cracked at the hospital due to a shallow latch. We improved the latch and I have been using APNO to heal the cracks (but it is is from my first LO and is over a year old -- OBs office was closed when I tried to call the day before Christmas). Its been a few days but I'm guessing it is taking so long to heal because the ointment is so old.

Anyway, yesterday and today I have a dull pain deep in both breasts that goes away while I am nursing and then comes back when I start to fill up again. LO doesn't have any symptoms and my nipples, while cracked don't show any other symptoms.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? I had a CS so I'm wondering if I got thrush from the antibiotics I was given after surgery.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: does this sound like thrush?

• It doesn't sound like thrush to me, but I'm not an expert. When I had thrush it started in the nipples and felt like sharp glass-like pain. Since yours is more deep it may be just your body adjusting to your milk coming in.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Thanks ladies. The initial latch does hurt but it doesn't feel like glass. I'm only a week in so I'm sure that is why the initial latch hurts. I don't remember these pains from my first. I will keep an eye on it.
  • Loading the player...
  • On closer inspection of LOs mouth, the back of his upper gums are white. Not cottage cheese like, just white. I cant get my finger back there to see if it wipes off as he sucks on my finger as soon as I stick it in there. Also, the pain in my breasts comes and goes. Not sure if thrush would be constant or not?
  • My LC told me I could rub Monostat on my nipples and let it absorb (no need to rub it off) if I ever had symptoms again after being treated with the Diflucan and LO with Nystatin. However, for me it was more on the nipples and they were cotton candy pink. If you do have it in the deep tissue, I would think you'd definitely need a prescription to get at that. Funny about LO sucking your finger...they are like little vacuum cleaners at that age. :)

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Hmmm...I am just very nervous this is thrush and afraid to let it go too long. LO isn't bothered by it yet if it is. He is latching and eating fine. He has a weight check on Tuesday so I will be sure to ask the pedi about it then. Do I need to see my OB to be treated if it is thrush? I'm just wondering if I should wait until Tuesday or see if I can see the OB on monday?
  • Once I had the diagnosis from my pedi I just called the OB and they went ahead and called in the prescription, but different doctors operate differently.  Your OB may want to see you anyway, so personally I would call first thing tomorrow to try and get in. 

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• I'm pretty certain now that it is thrush. Today when I looked in LOs mouth the white has spread to the roof of his mouth. Anyone have tips for what I can do until I can call the pedi tomorrow morning or do you think I should go to the urgent care today?
  • I called the pedi and he called him in a prescription for nystatin. I also called my OB and she told me that using the APNO should be enough and she didn't want to call in an anti fungal? This is really confusing to me as everything I am reading says we should both be treated? Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"