April 2014 Moms

So many crib questions! AH!

First off, I want to know if everyone (who's not bedsharing) is using a crib. We're currently using our PNP and received money to go toward a crib for Edolie. Is it much different from using a PNP? If you plan to use a PNP for a while longer or until they can use a toddler bed, what are the benefits of doing this?

Did there seem to be a big transition in how they adjusted going from PNP to crib? I'm worried about how lowering her down into the crib is going to go. We're considering forking out the extra money for this crib to help with the lowering process: https://www.target.com/p/foundations-biltmore-safereach-compact-crib-natural/-/A-13740896#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=safereach

Also, mini crib recommendations? Should we just go with a full size? We're switching rooms with my brother this week so we'll have the room for a full size if we need it but would prefer something smaller if there aren't any/too many downsides.

8-}
February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3

Re: So many crib questions! AH!

• meetmowmeetmow member
    edited December 2014
    We just switched DS from a PNP in our room to a crib in his own room (just finally got into our house).

My opinion is to get a full-sized convertible crib. If you get a mini crib you'll just have to buy a toddler bed in a year/year and a half. We used a convertible with our DD and it was nice to just have 1 piece of furniture for all of the stages they go through in such a short amount of time.

DS's first night in his crib he woke 4 times (which, unfortunately, was his norm), but he only needed me once to get back to sleep (previously he needed to be boober. Every. Single. Wakeup. The next night he woke once and needed my help back to sleep. Tomorrow night he will have been using the crib a week and we are now down to just needing me once a night (thank-fucking-God). I didn't do anything special with the transition and he's obviously handling it like a champ.

My two cents. Good luck on your decision :-)
  • Ditto PPs. Just go for it! LO started out in a pack and play, and had zero issues transitioning. He was in the PNP while travelling this week and went back to the crib no problem. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • We got a full size convertible crib for $150, I love that it'll be with him for a few years so I get my monies worth. We've started the transition, it's been a little rough but every day is better than the previous one.
  • We didn't use a PNP but I wanted to agree with the full size crib option. DD1 stayed in hers until she was 25 months and would have been pretty cramped in a smaller crib. Trust me its better to have them stay in the crib for as long as they are happy there..lol
  • We bedshare half the night bc I get tired of putting him back to sleep in his room, he's in the PNP but we are lowering the crib tonight (I've been saying this for a week) and moving him in. We have a convertible to toddler bed crib as well, white from Target it was cheap, under $200. Idk what kind of bumpers, if any, we need since he stands and falls now but I'm probably just over thinking it, like you ;)
  • We have a hand me down crib from the nephews (from Walmart).  J has slept great in it since he was 4 weeks old.  We had to lower the sides last week since he's starting to pull up to standing.
  • Just jump in. We did about 3 months ago. We actually had 2 cribs one at our house and one at the grandparents. One dark wood one white. I think he actually transitioned better in the white because I think going from the mesh of PnP to dark slats was a little overwhelming so we switch them so that we had white at our house. Now he is fine in either.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh and yeah skip the mini. It's no different than PnP size. And u will be surprised how much they move around. It's good for them. We live in a tiny one bedroom apt and have LO in the same room as us (cause we don't have a choice) and the big crib takes up way more space than the mini PnP we used to start, but it's good he has the space.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't always think convertible cribs are worth it. For us we have 2  kids sharing a room that requires a bunk bed. In the long run, buying one ikea bed and other beds as needed was actually more economical and more adaptable. The nursery got to stay put w/ crib, etc. and we just moved kids out of it into another room so it would be ready for the next baby. 
    This thought crossed my mind... I mean, no matter how many kids you plan to have, each one will need their own bed. So I can either spend more money now on a convertible, and then have to buy another convertible for my next baby. Or I can spend less money now on a regular crib and be able to use it for the next baby, but also have to buy a "big kid" bed for Edolie later on, spending even more money, but just not all at once.

I'll probably go with a crib from Target just because my husband got a $50 gift card to there from a secret Santa at work.

• We transitioned from the PNP to a regular full sized crib at about 5.5 months. No problems transitioning, and I think LO likes the extra space that the crib affords him.

We bought the Gulliver crib from IKEA for $99. It's been super sturdy and has survived a cross country move with no problem. It also converts to a toddler bed. By far it's been one of our favorite purchases for baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Oh Eli, there's a sanctity in your innocence. A certain beauty and no uncertain strength that brings me to the faith. I don't know if I am climbing to or falling in, but it comes like grace from your tiny hands when I hold you in mine." - Eli's Song

• We have a target crib and like it. I honestly don't know what there would be about a crib that I wouldn't like. Most of the differences seem cosmetic to me. Our transition was super easy. I had her nap in there a few times and she started sleeping in it overnight like a champ.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Olivia is in a full size crib. I wouldn't worry about the drop sides, or a mini crib. We plan on buying a toddler bed from Ikea, using the crib for the next one. You don't need to spend a fortune. Our friends bought the Graco Lauren crib (I think) I love it. Ours is PB kids, but it was a gift.
  • Dixon813Dixon813 member
    edited December 2014
    Liam has been in his crib since day one. I say do it! It is a convertible crib, but that wasn't the selling feature, just happens to be. Who knows if we'll ever concert it or if there will be another LO who needs it.

ETA, the crib you linked is what Liam's day care uses and comparing them to his full size, I would choose his full size, hands down!
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Have fun shopping. I vote regular-sized too. 

Also you'll probably need to go directly to the lowest setting for the mattress in your new crib from the beginning since Edolie is sitting up so she doesn't try to escape when she starts pulling up. Double check the crib instructions when you're setting it up.
    Oh she has been pulling up for weeks now! She was pulling up before she was crawling. So I already know it's going to have to be on a low setting, which is why I was worried about lowering her in while sleeping. And with @elyse4281‌'s FFFC, I'm pretty discouraged. Hopefully it won't take her too long to adjust.

• We bought a convertible crib. After she started settling into a routine around 2.5 - 3 months, we would start her in there at night and then move her to the cradle next to our bed whenever we went to bed. At 6 months we just left her in there and she's done great.
    Me = 28
    DH = 29
    Multiple loss mama
    Rylie: Born 04.2014
    Haley: Born 07.2017
    Emily: Born 08.2019

• Joy is in a regular sized crib, and so when we travel I feel like the PNP is so small! She can pull herself up in it, but it's not too difficult to set her down gently at the second setting down. Even at the lowest setting I feel like it's not going to be trouble. She's been in a crib since 3mos
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"