February 2013 Moms

recording Christmas morning

I don't want to this year. We did half of dad's first, she was sick and grumpy so we stopped. We did tape her second. We taped ds' first Christmas too.

I don't really want to this year. But I feel guilty. I feel whoever is in charge of the video camera doesn't get to enjoy it as much. And I do plan to record them later in the day playing.

What are your plans?

Re: recording Christmas morning

• Recording it never even crossed my mind. I plan to take pictures of course, but I agree that whoever is behind the camera doesn't get to enjoy it as much. I've read several articles in the past few months about how this culture of having to record everything (whether by video or photo) means that no one is ever actually "in" the moment. If you're caught up with taking pictures or recording, you're looking at life through a screen and not as present as you could be. That may be a little dramatic, and I'm guilty of it too sometimes, but I do feel that overall we are way too quick to pull out a phone or camera and take pictures of EVERYTHING. This digital era makes it so easy. Personally, I think it's better to not worry about recording and just enjoy the time with your kids (unless you could set up a video camera on a tripod or something).
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• We set up a tripod one year. I was planning on recording some. Honestly, it's more important to me now to record than it was previously since we lost my dad this year. A few years ago (the year I got the digital camera for xmas) I recorded a bit of xmas morning and am very happy that we have some video of my dad at xmas on there. Not that things were particularly exciting, but still.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • I'm taking some video on my phone tomorrow.

I remember my dad's bulky early 90's camcorder. That thing was ridiculously huge. He looked like part of a news crew. I think this year I might plunk down some money for a nice camcorder. Dad recorded every Christmas, birthdays and my dance recitals and I'm so glad to have those videos.
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • We don't usually record while people are opening gifts - there is a lot more chaos during the opening process, and you end up with a video full of varied reactions. We do a "Thank you" video from the kids each year where they have all their gifts around them and they thank all of the family - it reduces the confusion and prevents people from feeling disappointed that their gift maybe didn't get quite as big a reaction as someone else's gift (of course we have two much older children, so this is more of a factor for us than it would be for those who just have toddlers who love EVERYTHING lol)
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Thanks ladies. "BFF" made me feel bad for not wanting to record.
  • I cannot imagine recording.  I used to go to concerts and when I got to be a bit too old, suddenly all the "kids" were at the shows just holding up cameras and carrying around huge fancy photography equipment--like every single kid...  and then many would leave before the show was 1/2 over...it was sick.  I could have written articles about being in the moment then and have always wanted to live that way...

Good thing too, because my child demands to play with any phone or camera she sees, and then throws a giant temper tantrum until she gets it, which often is never, thus ruining many, many special events for about the last 16 months...  We probably won't even try to take any photos tomorrow, which makes my mom sad... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"