Infertility

flu shot timing

Since someone else mentioned flu, when did or will you get a flu shot?

I've never had a flu shot before and DH says that you feel yucky and draggy for a few days after. What's your experience with it?

I keep meaning to and forgetting (or procrastinating, depending on how you look at it). I don't want to compromise my health for my upcoming FET on Jan. 8 (probably), or feel yucky through holidays, or miss workouts because I feel yucky since I won't get to work out as much after the FET.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image

Re: flu shot timing

• I got my flu shot in October before I started meds for IVF #4.  I had no reaction to the flu shot at all, other than my arm being sore for a few days.  The flu shot is a dead virus, so it will not make you sick.  It is probably coincidence that your husband felt sick after getting the flu shot.

Pregnancy compromises your immune system, making you more susceptable to catching the flu.  Also the flu can be dangerous for pregnant women and can put your baby at risk.  I definitely recommend getting the flu shot.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Get the Flumist (nose spray)! It doesn't hurt at all!!! And I've never had any side-effects from it- I've been getting the shot or mist for 10+ years. The arm shot isn't too bad, but I would have some soreness.

My clinic has a poster talking about the importance of getting the flu shot, but no one specifically told me I should, though my regular doctor is very pro-flu shot. I got the Flumist from the pharmacy in my Target in October.  

I read a heartbreaking story last year about the consequences of getting the flu while pregnant without having had the flu shot, so I am very pro-flu shot for anyone trying to get pregnant. From what I understand, even if you get the flu, it will be less severe due to having the protection of the shot.

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • Carol77B said:

Get the Flumist (nose spray)! It doesn't hurt at all!!! And I've never had any side-effects from it- I've been getting the shot or mist for 10+ years. The arm shot isn't too bad, but I would have some soreness.

My clinic has a poster talking about the importance of getting the flu shot, but no one specifically told me I should, though my regular doctor is very pro-flu shot. I got the Flumist from the pharmacy in my Target in October.  

I read a heartbreaking story last year about the consequences of getting the flu while pregnant without having had the flu shot, so I am very pro-flu shot for anyone trying to get pregnant. From what I understand, even if you get the flu, it will be less severe due to having the protection of the shot.

If you tell them you are TTC, they may not give you the mist.  The flumist is not recommended for pregnant women because it is a live virus (although it is weakend) and many places treat women TTC as if they are already pregnant. 

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Walgreen's wouldn't give me the shot without a prescription when I tried in October because I said I may be pregnant within a month (wasn't, obviously). My doc said I could get it whenever, so I might just forget about the FET thing when I fill out the form for the shot.

***siggy warning***

TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Walgreen's wouldn't give me the shot without a prescription when I tried in October because I said I may be pregnant within a month (wasn't, obviously). My doc said I could get it whenever, so I might just forget about the FET thing when I fill out the form for the shot.

That's strange.  I went to walgreens to get my flu shot (I usually get it at work, but wanted to get it before starting prednisone since that what was recommended by both my RE and RI) and explained that I was doing IVF.  They just gave me the preservative free shot (which I personally don't think is necessary, but whatever). 

Do they not give any woman of child bearing age not on BC a flu shot?  They could all easily be pregnant in a month...

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I didn't read all the posts so I'm sorry if this is redundant. If you get the flu shot while pregnant the make sure to use the injectables only not the nasal spray. But since you aren't pregnant, getting either isn't a problem. I should also add that the CDC recommends the flu shot even durning pregnancy. I had mine scheduled through work (I work in a hospital) on the day of my beta.... I had a BFN but it wouldn't have mattered, I still would have gotten the shot even if I was pregnant.
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

• @twinkie0612 @o2girl It could be state or local stupidity. I live in a stupid town in Illinois.

***siggy warning***

image    image
  • ***SIGGY WARNING***

I get the flu shot every year because I work in healthcare, and I've never felt bad afterwards. My arm's always a little tender, but it's not impacted workouts or going to work. I usually just have issues laying on that side that night.

I got mine at CVS pretty shortly before FET (within 3 wks), and it wasn't an issue that I checked that I could be pregnant within a month.

For sure, get one. Even though they didn't get the strains all right this year, it's worth preventing future issues.

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

• I got a flu shot last week.  It was no big deal.  I actually forgot until just now.  I guess after all the IVF needles, the flu shot barely hurt.  I didn't feel any different afterwards.  My RE didn't want me to get one while cycling, so I waited until two weeks after my ER.  I'm cycling again in January, but won't be doing an FET until probably, March, so I went for it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"